Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Charity Shop Gold
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.13.2006, 07:57 AM   #21
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Charity shops (or thrift stores as we in the states call them) are similar to therapy for me. You go in with no expectations of finding anything, you run into these odd people looking through odd things, and then you start the inevitable record rummage. They are 50 cents here, so anything goes. An hour later you leave with a mint copy of Henry Mancini's Best of, Lonnie Liston Smith - Vibrations, and a stack of 45's that look increasingly enticing by the moment. The whole experience is refreshing to me, which I find ironic, because the usual thrift store smells like dirty clothes and mold, and not to mention your local creepy, social deviant staring you down for picking up that pair of pants he was eyeballing 45 minutes ago.

All in all I think charity shops (thrift stores) in themselves are gold.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2007, 12:36 PM   #22
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
So, my housemate found a pile of records and a box of tapes in a skip recently. In amongst a load of standard classical tapes ('best opera arias', Swan Lake, that sort of thing) are a few mix tapes. These mix tapes are awesome. Which reminds me of that Dalston charity shop blog, which is also awesome, but I can't be bothered to find the link right now. But is in this thread somewhere, if memory serves.

Anyway, bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2007, 07:56 AM   #23
sarramkrop

This reminds me that I should go on a charity shop hunt spree, one of these weekends. The Dalston one is pretty close to where I live and i haven't been there in a while, but there are some nice little ones throughout East London. Here's the links, twatface:

http://dalstonoxfamshop.blogspot.com...nomi-live.html

http://www.dazeddigital.com/projects...cle.aspx?a=538
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2008, 03:24 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Alice Coltrane's World Galaxy, original Impulse pressing for £1.50 recently. Charity shops pwn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2008, 03:29 PM   #25
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
i once found a copy of Black Flag's Damaged in a hospital chairty shop, they haven't had anything thing that interesting since
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2008, 05:04 PM   #26
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
shellac's the futurist, can't remember how much i paid but it was less than ten dollars; the cashier had no idea what record it was.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth