Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page {But} my folks call it noise
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2010, 02:37 PM   #1
the red terror
empty page

the red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's asses

{But} my folks call it noise
Vintage rock & roll photos by Dave Fisher
Jane Bond, 5 Princess Street West, Uptown Waterloo (Ontario, Canada)
March 30 - May 15

EXHIBIT:

Feat: Sonic Youth, The Fall, George Clinton, Danny Michel, Nick Cave, My Bloody Valentine, Killing Joke, Drive Like Jehu, Pixies, Fugazi, Blixa Bargeld, Mercury Rev, Napoleon Blownaparte, Ramones, Eric's Trip, Royal Trux, Nihilist Spasm Band, Polvo, The Sadies, Public Image Ltd.

Most of the images were shot for Filler, an underground music & culture zine (1994-2000) notable for irregular publication schedule and absurdly overlong interviews with John Peel, Russell Banks, Robert Coover, Michael Chabon, Dave Sim, Charles Peterson, Glen Friedman, Fugazi, Killing Joke, Mercury Rev, Yo La Tengo and many, many more.

Title, "But my folks call it noise" is a lyric from "Music Makes Me," performed by the lovely & talented Ginger Rogers in Flying Down to Rio.

The exhibited silver-gelatin prints are all first-edition, limited edition, signed & numbered in pencil au recto (on the front, beneath image surface, hidden by overmat).

Hand-printed by the artist in a traditional darkroom onto premium double-weight fibre-base paper, and toned in selenium for optimal archival permanence. Matted & framed using acid-free conservation materials. Available for sale at rock-bottom lo-fi recession discount prices.

ARTIST:

Dave Fisher is an editorial photographer, copywriter, video editor & illustrator. Publisher of Filler zine ("the kings of the extraneous; the champions of everything you didn't need to know," 1994-2000); and Editor-in-Chief at Imprint ('95/96). His work has appeared in Mojo, Halifax Coast, Exclaim, New Zealand Herald, Quill & Quire, Versus magazine, books, documentary films & more.

His previous exhibit Dream City of America, an exploration of time & mythology in the archeological siegefields of ancient Louisbourg, was selected as a Feature Presentation at Contact, the world's largest annual photography festival (2008). Last published photograph appears in Our Noise: The Story of Merge Records, the Indie Label That Got Big and Stayed Small (2009). Latest video work appears in Aardvark-Vanaheim's CerebusTV and Michael Gira 's I Am Not Insane (Young God Records, 2010). Current exhibit {But} my folks call it noise (2010) is Fisher's first art showing at Jane Bond in eleven years. He lives and works in Waterloo.

More info: www.dgfpix.com and www.janebond.ca
the red terror is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth