Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pumf Records Brown Paper Bag CDR Series...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.14.2009, 10:43 AM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
This is the Ceramic Hobs' label, and just in case people here aren't familiar with the ever-incredible ceramic hobs, they're a UK band that applies a Tom Smith/To Live and Shave in LA cut up/noise collage aesthetic to a catchy but deranged post-punk sound. What makes them semi-notorious of course is the fact the band consists of numerous members who have done time instituionalized for various mental illnesses. That of course doesn't really matter to me, they're just an awesome band.

So I was looking through the Pumf records catalog last week and realized this label serves up a lot more awesomness than jut Ceramic Hobs. In particular, thier 'Brown Paper Bag CDR Series' looked particularly interesting. It's a re-issue campaign of source, of ultra rare and wierd records that assuredly most of us have never heard.

I ordered a few:
Heffalump Trap-Seven of the Union Wont Wear it (Brown Paper Bag #22)
Live cuts from an 08 tour from this never before heard space-noise rock hawkwind meets whitehouse sorta band. Very cool, only listened to once so far.

The Style Pigs-Biscuit Psychosis (Brown Papr Bag #21)
Good old re-issue of forgotten wierd punk band from 80s. Pretty good.

Christ + Satan-Some Rotting Vegetable Sessions (Brown Paper Bag #14)
Here 's the website's description, this music is too deranged for m to describe:Here is a collection of modern-day tales, observational songs played in many styles ranging from rock, to ballads, to free improvisation, to electro-pop. This album was originally going to be released in 1988, but Christ + Satan backed away from Pumf because they thought that ". . . the guy who runs [the label] keeps all the money and puts the tapes out on the worst quality tapes in the world". If only I had been able to keep all the money, I could by now have progressed to living in poverty. I'm delighted that they relented, 15 years later, and allowed me to release the album.

Yximalloo-OOlamixy (Brown paper Bag #11)
Early stuff by Japanese Avant-pop leged.

Acidfuck-Sonic Walpaper
Fucked up noise, like really fucked up.

Anyways, this is a good label if anyone is up for hearing a bunch of wierd bands they've never heard before. I'm personally rounding up more cash so I can order some more stuff, there's a lot of records that sound right up my alley. The label has a similar aesthetic to Chocolate Monk. If interested, here's the website: http://www.pumf.net/

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth