Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I don't get the love for M.I.A.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.07.2008, 11:29 AM   #21
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with you though nic fit. I've got friends who hate bands and singers because of who they are and not what they do. Or because they are popular.
I say bring on the Merzbow and JoJo split release. (Though to be honest I find Merzbow's solo work quite iritating.)

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 11:45 AM   #22
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
I'll never understand why being an avid listener of "extreme stuff" should prevent from having fun with/liking other less "extreme" stuff. Batreleaser, I can understand your point about mainstream kiddies and the related second part of the post, this is not a post "against you", rather a more generic rant.
Hell, I've got Zu and A Short Apnea cds next to "smash hits from the 60's" on my cd displayer (<---how do you call them?).
Liking something does not necessary imply an "objective", "artistic" value in the thing liked, it's just a feeling, a sensation, a matter of taste or even plain fun, after all. Like watching a Bergman movie followed by Toxic Avenger. One can enjoy both, even if they are on totally "different levels" from an objective pov.
nah?
porky summed it up pretty well in his post:
"What is there to get, exactly? You don't like her*, fair enough."

* replace "her" with band/artist name of choice.
sorry for the rant. have a nice day!

o no i totally agree, i listen to the beatles, beach boys, ramones, stones, van morrison, and tons of hip hop just as much as wierder louder stuff, but something like mia which is being advertised as "radical" is much harder for me to buy into, therefore people who listen to more "out there" music allready id think would have a hard time buying into mia's stuff, if that clears it up a little bit
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 11:48 AM   #23
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'll never understand why being an avid listener of "extreme stuff" should prevent from having fun with/liking other less "extreme" stuff. Batreleaser, I can understand your point about mainstream kiddies and the related second part of the post, this is not a post "against you", rather a more generic rant.
Hell, I've got Zu and A Short Apnea cds next to "smash hits from the 60's" on my cd displayer (<---how do you call them?).
Liking something does not necessary imply an "objective", "artistic" value in the thing liked, it's just a feeling, a sensation, a matter of taste or even plain fun, after all. Like watching a Bergman movie followed by Toxic Avenger. One can enjoy both, even if they are on totally "different levels" from an objective pov.
nah?

I totally agree. I listen to Mouthus and Simian Mobile Disco, Double Leopards and Franz Ferdinand, Death Unit and Radio 4, sometimes in a row.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 11:50 AM   #24
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I wasn't aware that anyone had said that M.I.A.'s music was radical. It's pop music - the first album is bloody good pop music, and, for pop music, is bloody radical. The second album is nowhere as good as the first, but if someone gave me a choice between listening to that or listening to Wolf Eyes, I'd take the M.I.A. any day.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 11:54 AM   #25
cellscape
little trouble girl

cellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to behold
I like her production and ecletic use of international sounds and beats. Even her little rebellious renegade persona fits it to and her non talented vocals not to mention she's not bad looking. But where as some LPs need several listens to get the full picture and grow into, hers quickly looses its luster and gets put aside. In fact it just gets annoying after too many listens. She's also a complete idiot after having read a few of her interviews or quite possibly mildly retarded. I don't really even know if she's sure of what she's trying to represent and she wines alot in almost complete gibberish. So to sum things up she has terrible fashion, talks too much, looks good, dances poorly, is pretty annoying with nice beats. The perfect recipe for a hate fuck.
cellscape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 11:58 AM   #26
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
it's not about her being pop, it's about her being crappy, untalented pop.

i much rather listen to paris hilton's album, sure it might not booster my indie cred but at least half the songs are good and the other are so embarransingly bad they are a riot of fun.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 12:01 PM   #27
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellscape
She's also a complete idiot after having read a few of her interviews or quite possibly mildly retarded. I don't really even know if she's sure of what she's trying to represent and she wines alot in almost complete gibberish. So to sum things up she has terrible fashion, talks too much, looks good, dances poorly, is pretty annoying with nice beats. The perfect recipe for a hate fuck.

^ ^^*Insert a big number of noise or, erm, experimental music artists here*
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 12:59 PM   #28
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
^ ^^*Insert a big number of noise or, erm, experimental music artists here*

hahaha
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 04:10 PM   #29
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
nah?

You must spread some reputation around blah blah...
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 04:19 PM   #30
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
This music is supremely annoying.
Fortunately, I have other choices.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 04:27 PM   #31
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
MIA sucks ass. all that R&Bullshit sucks ass.

"Your general subject, Love, is minimal. It's sex for profit." - chuck D Public Enemy

fucking shit ass slow jams.

hang with the squares, the straits, the deluded brainless sheep that just want a beat to go suck off some fuck at a bar to.
Old 01.07.2008, 04:54 PM   #32
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
MIA sucks ass. all that R&Bullshit sucks ass.

"Your general subject, Love, is minimal. It's sex for profit." - chuck D Public Enemy

fucking shit ass slow jams.

hang with the squares, the straits, the deluded brainless sheep that just want a beat to go suck off some fuck at a bar to.
R&B and slow jams = M.I.A. ?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 05:01 PM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
all those chicks singing what they call "hip hop" (mary j blige, Mia, ashanti, wheoevr the fuck) are R&B ,

I FUCKING HATE that slow jam shit. HATE IT. I hate it so BAD>
Old 01.07.2008, 05:21 PM   #34
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
all those chicks singing what they call "hip hop" (mary j blige, Mia, ashanti, wheoevr the fuck) are R&B ,

I FUCKING HATE that slow jam shit. HATE IT. I hate it so BAD>
are you sure you are not talking about mya?

M.I.A. has, like, a "slow" song per record.
I'm not trying to "persuade" you to like her music or anything, I just want to make sure we're talking about the same person , becuz I'm totally with you on this R&Bullshit thing, but I don't think M.I.A. has anything to do with that kind of music (except maybe for a couple songs, but it's a quite stretched link imo).
Old 01.07.2008, 05:28 PM   #35
amyvega
bad moon rising

amyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's asses
MIA aint slow jam shit in the least...

i just love her, i thought kala was the best thing i heard in '07
amyvega is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 05:33 PM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

man I likes some legs. can;t think abuot music anymore
Old 01.07.2008, 05:36 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

so this is M.I.A>? from Sri Lanka?

Old 01.07.2008, 05:40 PM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

her real name is
Maya Arulpragasam

what a mouthful!

I just heard 4 M.I.A. songs. it is most def not my thing. more power to her though. my opinion matters not.
another person "rapping" and singing over dance beats. YAWN
Old 01.07.2008, 05:53 PM   #39
nicfit
invito al cielo

yeah, that mia rob, now we're talkin' bout the same thing, if anything
p.s. amyvega, I love her too, as I said somewhere else in other threads.
Old 01.08.2008, 04:26 AM   #40
sarramkrop

Quote:
her real name is
Maya Arulpragasam

what a mouthful!

I just heard 4 M.I.A. songs. it is most def not my thing. more power to her though. my opinion matters not.
another person "rapping" and singing over dance beats. YAWN

It's ok, she doesn't give a damn fuck about what you think, I'm sure.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth