Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page In Utero Appreciation thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.03.2007, 05:55 PM   #81
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
kurt cobain's urn plays a power chord for you all.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2007, 06:10 PM   #82
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
PS: Fear...

THE RAPEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11.03.2007, 08:18 PM   #83
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Greatest post. Thanks for the onemoresolo link. Also, I have to say that the production on In Utero is magnificiently beautiful. I definitely want that particular sound and rawness if I ever release my own album. Kurt's penchant for writing songs that can shine through layers of murk and grime are made all the more obvious with the raw, abrasive sound on this record. The drums are thick, and pound relentlessly ( I heard somewhere that Dave Grohl used the larger end of the drumsticks to pound his skins - not sure if it's true), the bass grooves and slinks, twisitng and sinuous, and Cobain manages to wrench a completely tortured and naked wail from his guitar everytime, and succeeds in making it a wall of noise, melody and rhythm that constantly lurks, menancing and predatory.

The words on In Utero bite, gnaw and chew. They snarl and smirk and consume the consumer; burrowing into your soul and your intellect, until they reach your centre and propogate, until they suffocate you. This album is unsettling in the best possible way. Alienation, desolation, despair, anger - all themes that somehow Nirvana manage to rock and groove into In Utero. William S. Burroughs, when he read the lyrics of In Utero, proclaimed that Kurt "was already dead" when he wrote them.
Old 11.03.2007, 08:26 PM   #84
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Most people who put shit on Nirvana have terrible reasons as to why.
Old 11.03.2007, 08:49 PM   #85
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
It feels good to be back.
Welcome to the greatset place on Earth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Most people who put shit on Nirvana have terrible reasons as to why.
Exactly, there is just no reason to invest emotionally or intellectually in a piece of music anymore, since the mood or style is so readily available at Hot Topic or Pitchfork. It just doesn't pay for them to put so much into something when they can buy the superficial and shallow feeling of it, which is what most people were looking for in the first place...
Old 11.03.2007, 08:51 PM   #86
alyasa
invito al cielo

Quote:
I just fell off my chair.

Repped to heaven.
Hah. Thank you, it's what I feel about In Utero.
Old 11.03.2007, 08:59 PM   #87
alyasa
invito al cielo

Don't fall off your chair again... Heheh...
Old 11.03.2007, 11:28 PM   #88
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
...The formula for grunge rock music at its best...

you hit the nail in the head why this album has a big influence on people, and it also points out it's short comings.

Quote:
Well, Nirvana's music was revelatory for quite a lot of people (Not that they were consciously trying to), hence its social impact on american pop culture. Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction and some other bands could have been better but Nevermind (unintentionally)has much more of an impact on kids and that's why it's always on the Best Records Ever lists every single time any magazine feels the need to gain money using that cliche.

personally, nirvana never seemed to me so revolutionary, i never really so such a big difference between them and, say, metallica at the time, just different haircuts and different ways to make music. jane's addiction kinda were the first "alternative" band i've ever heard, again they weren't that radical but they always seemed more out of it and more, and this is an afterthought, psychedelic than what i was listening to, which gave them a different angle of perception.

besides, if you read or listen to interviews at the time, they were more conscious about their impact and their intentions of fame than they later led on to.

Quote:
Nah. "Beans" gotta be the worst Nirvana song ever.

That doesn't mean "Rape Me" is actually awesome, though. In fact, it's not even a highlight on In Utero (Musically-wise. Because it actually rained shit all over it because of that Wal-Mart drama, so it actually gained attention even though it was for the wrong reasons)... And quite honestly, it doesn't really seems like the band was trying to make it into a hit and change the world's minds. It's probably just an attempt of them to be ironic, at which I suppose it did not succeded. Or probably they were just trying to piss off those morons at MTV. If that was the case, Nirvava achieved a little something by writing (and performing) "Rape Me".

but most morons love that fucking song!!! it's like their favorite along with smells like teen spirit. it's like one of their laziest and most self conscious songs and that combination just doesn't work. it's a dumb dumb dumb song. and to be fair, i haven't heard all or most nirvana songs, but it's certainly on the top of their worst.

Quote:
Now you need to have some bootlegs. Of course there's a whole lot of shitty quality boots, but there's also a lot of gems. And the best aspect of Nirvana's music is actually on the bootlegs, not on their official records.

I suppose you could buy some of 'em at El Chopo or something....

....That is, if you are interested in wasting away your money.

onemoresolo is the place to download Nirvana shit. There's plenty of goodies lately:

www.onemoresolo.net

Oh, and yep, yep, yep. Albini's work on In Utero is awesome despite the fact that he's always trying to mantain his oh so precious indie cred (I assume) by trying so hard to stay the fuck away from his own magnificent work recording Nirvana.

yeah, i won't buy dime a dozen downloaded cd-rs there, fucking rip offs...they used to have good stuff that couldn't be found anywhere and now all they do is download that crap, print a cover and charge 10 times what they invest.

albini's method of recording is not for indie cred (if that was the case, the man would only record classic angular riff heavy indie punk of the 90's and would have been unemployed for a decade now), his method is to let the band handle the music and feel relax on their own while he gets them the most violent or lively sound they can...if anything, it's more obvious that nirvana made suggestions to albini to dirty up their sounds...i mean, listen to in utero and then listen to jawbreaker's 24 hours revenge therapy, both recorded in the same year and 24hrt sounds a lot cleaner (if just as or more vicious) than in utero.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2007, 11:39 PM   #89
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I guess I kind of skipped Nirvana.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2007, 03:31 AM   #90
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

ahhhh i love 24 hour revenge therapy.

ashtray fucking monument..

Old 11.04.2007, 03:33 AM   #91
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
wow, lots of tldr in this thread

but it's about Nirvana so I figure I ain't missing much
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2007, 05:58 AM   #92
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
stop using the phrase GRUNGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats an insult to a band like nirvana... grunge is just a word to describe music to people who havent got a clue.... post rock is the same....... stop using the word, it sucks alewways has always will!
Old 11.04.2007, 06:27 AM   #93
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Wasn't "Rape me" actually about rapes in Bosnia ?

Quote:
If rocking songs about angst and pain and suicide thoughts aren't something you want to listen to, then there's always party music and bunch of some other great shit.

Good point.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2007, 12:37 PM   #94
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

nirvana's claim to fame was reviving weird al's career and changing high school fashion for a good decade.

Old 11.04.2007, 04:04 PM   #95
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
nirvana's claim to fame was reviving weird al's career and changing high school fashion for a good decade.

HAHA. Dude, there's just something about Nirvana that grates you and I don't think you know what it is.
Old 11.04.2007, 04:09 PM   #96
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

i just hate kurt cobain. i don't even hate nirvana. i thought they had some okay songs -- one of those "right place at the right time" bands. bleach and incesticide are good. i didn't like nevermind then, i don't like it now. and as i said of in utero, it's boring and is like.. a great ep's worth of songs. muddy banks is really good, except for some stinkers. unplugged is just shit.

but yeah. kurt is a fucking moron. "a hero for our generation"? right. anyone ever read that book where it talked about how he used to molest turtles with pencils for fun? dude was a fucking weirdo heroin using scum of the earth idiot who no one would give the time of day to if he wasn't in some band that happened to "blow up" at the right time. then, later, he "blew up" his head, and that just made their legend all the more legendary. lame.

Old 11.04.2007, 04:23 PM   #97
Norma J
invito al cielo

I fucking love Nirvana. I don't listen to them that often but they're a band that never tires, for me. Usually the huge success of a band irritates me, but they're one band that I think the success is warranted. They just have something - Kurt was just a great songwriter - he sub-conciously knew the formula. On one of them CSI or whatever American Hollywood crime shows, it was about the 90s, so they played Nevermind basically the whole way through it, and it made me think "Fuck, this album is one in a kind", kinda spooky actually.

As for Kurt himself, from my knowledge of the man, he was far from moronic. He was actually quite an intelligent guy, especially considering his environment and surroundings. He was very creative. I've read his journals and such, a bunch of bios etc, and I've never heard this turtle accusation? The statement seems quite obsurd, too, considering the gentle nature of the guy.
Old 11.04.2007, 04:57 PM   #98
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
As for Kurt himself, from my knowledge of the man, he was far from moronic.

Ditto.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2007, 04:57 PM   #99
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I've read his journals and tons of bios too.

Anyway.. the book was "Heavier than Heaven". I'm not saying that's the reason to hate the guy, but I was simply pointing out how much of a fucking weirdo he was. And regardless of how clever some of his lyrics or ideas were, he wasted them all on drugs. Obvious, but true. Anyway, go ahead and read that book -- it's a pretty unbiased look at the band and the guy and it doesn't really take sides. But seriously, the dude's scum. Regardless of his songwriting ability or his "clever" interview skills or whatever. It's obvious to me that he was a businessman who was well-aware of his public image, and he wasn't blatantly moronic like some other like-minded people (that dude from the Vines, for example, is an obvious fucking retard) -- but when it comes down to it, drugs and .. whatever else .. fried his brain to the point of no return. You can defend people sitting around for days, in a daze, with a needle stuck in their arm as being geniuses, but I'm not sure.

Old 11.04.2007, 05:10 PM   #100
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

anyway, i don't own the book, i just borrowed it, but i distinctly remember it saying something like "kurt would talk enthusiastically about how he would get bored and stick pencil's in turtle's vaginas."

HERO!!!!!!!!!!!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth