Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page L.A venues
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.11.2019, 06:53 PM   #1
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Moving to L.A
Any good local not-as-well known venue recommendations to see noise gigs or others?

thanx
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2019, 04:36 AM   #2
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
the only venue I've ever been to in LA is the Veterans Wadsworth Theater, to see SY in 1998, I saw 2 of the three shows they did there. One of the support acts had a singing saw, and I had a very hard time in taking that music seriously. I've no idea anymore who it was, does anyone know? It should be either Fuck, The Urinals, Helium, Destroy All Nels Cline, Oval or Solid Eye. Those were the supports according to the concert chronology site. I wonder if I will like that music nowadays.

Sorry for being offtopic, but your question reminded me of those nights. I wouldn't recommend that venue, the only reason the concerts took place there was because there was a fire hazard or something in the original venue. So I can't help you directly with any venues. But what you could do is install the BandsInTown app, and then add your favourite artists to it, either manually or import it from your media apps history. Based on that you will also get recommendations for similar artists. I'm not sure how accurate the app is in the US, but in Europe it works out quite well, provided that someone adds those concerts to the app. So if you only like the very obscure bands, it could be that you won't find them there. And if you ever find yourself in another town, you can change the location and find local shows at that location. You can also adapt the radius, e.g. to find shows in a 50km radius around LA, or 200km around it, or miles yes they have that too

Another option could be to check out setlist.fm, browse through the gigographies some of the artists you like and see where they played in the past.

Not sure if you're familiar in California already, but if you ever find a chance, drive the coastal road between LA and SF. It's gorgeous.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2019, 05:21 AM   #3
doubtsolstice
empty page

doubtsolstice kicks all y'all's assesdoubtsolstice kicks all y'all's assesdoubtsolstice kicks all y'all's assesdoubtsolstice kicks all y'all's assesdoubtsolstice kicks all y'all's assesdoubtsolstice kicks all y'all's assesdoubtsolstice kicks all y'all's assesdoubtsolstice kicks all y'all's assesdoubtsolstice kicks all y'all's assesdoubtsolstice kicks all y'all's assesdoubtsolstice kicks all y'all's asses
I've been to a hardcore/grindcore at the Resident. It was alright. A little too "hip" for my taste though.

The Zebulon is great.

I moved here last year around the same time. If you're in need of a concert buddy or a friend nonethelss, hit me up.
doubtsolstice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2019, 02:39 AM   #4
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
On a recent podcast, I heard it tell that noise shows are difficult to book at LA venues. Outside of home shows and a few art galleries, noise shows aren’t being booked because people aren’t showing up.

I know NOTHING about LA, but I do know some bigger shows play at, Lodge Room. Low, Acid Mothers Temple and lots of Free Jazz groups......if that’s your thing?

Good luck with your move and I do hope you find a place for LA noise......and post about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
Moving to L.A
Any good local not-as-well known venue recommendations to see noise gigs or others?

thanx
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2019, 09:24 AM   #5
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
Check out Coaxial
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2019, 05:41 PM   #6
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
I was emailing with the curator of the NorCal NoiseFest and Lob suggested you check out The Handbag Factory......they also have a FB page.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth