Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bullet-belt-friendly zone: It's the Heavy Metal Survey Thread.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.01.2008, 02:56 PM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre:
2. A Heavy Metal band that defines the genre:
3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island:
4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance:
5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you drink:
6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are:
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Heavy Metal, but regularly are:
8. British or American:
9. Sonic Youth's most Heavy Metal song (no covers):
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2008, 03:12 PM   #2
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre: "Iron Man"

2. A Heavy Metal band that defines the genre: Slayer

3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island: "Hell Awaits"

4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance: "Caught in a Mosh"

5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you drink: they all do

6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are: Soundgarden; the very phrase "heavy metal" gives Kim Thayil multiple strokes.

7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Heavy Metal, but regularly are: can't answer this

8. British or American: American

9. Sonic Youth's most Heavy Metal song: 'Cross the Breeze
Old 01.01.2008, 03:16 PM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
1. NIB - Black Sabbath.
2. Judas Priest
3. Judas Priest - British Steel
4. Iron Maiden - The Evil that Men Do.
5. Guns n Roses - November Rain
6. Soundgarden
7. Motorhead
8. British
9. Eliminator Jnr.

Old 01.01.2008, 04:23 PM   #4
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
1. A few Heavy Metal songs that define the genre:
"Beyond the Realms of Death" by Judas Priest
"War Pigs/Luke's Wall" by Black Sabbath
"The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden
(edit) hard rock
"Problem Child" by AC/DC
"Lord of the Thighs" by Aerosmith

Black Sabbath

3. Four British and four American Heavy Metal albums you would want on a desert island:

Paranoid by Black Sabbath
Master of Reality by Black Sabbath
The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden
British Steel by Judas Priest

(edit) glam metal/hard rock
Van Halen by Van Halen
Too Fast For Love by Mötley Crüe
Shout At The Devil by Mötley Crüe
Appetite for Destruction by Guns N' Roses

Van Halen's wonderful cover of the Marvin Gaye-penned Martha & The Vandelas classic, "Dancing in the Street"
(edit) glam metal/hard rock

"Suicide Solution" by Ozzy Osbourne with guitar maestro Randy Rhoads

I know I have a good answer to this, but can't think right now.

Led Zeppelin
a few others, but I've already written too much

8. British or American: British bands like The Who, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple (and other Acid-Rock progenitors who really started it off in any popular sense...Jimi started off playing in the UK too) and then Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden really defined and refined the genre, so British.

Hands down, "'Cross The Breeze." This doesn't apply to myself, but I've often wondered how many people that are here would have never became Sonic Youth fans if this song had never been recorded.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2008, 04:52 PM   #5
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre: Ironman
2. A Heavy Metal band that defines the genre: Black Sabbath
3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island: Paranoid
4. One Heavy Metal song that makes you dance: Breakin' the Law
5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you drink: none
6. A band that should be thought of as Heavy Metal, but rarely are: I don't know
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Heavy Metal, but regularly are: Metallica
8. British or American: British
9. Sonic Youth's most Heavy Metal song (no covers): 'Cross the Breeze
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2008, 05:06 PM   #6
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I've written as much very lately, but heavy metal and hard rock in general isn't exactly my biggest listening priority. At the same time, however, I am someone that loves and appreciates all types of music when done well.

On this note, I made a mix several months ago of live recordings with some metal content (mainly just the last two tracks). All are from soundboards except, I think, the Deep Purple.

01 Rolling Stones - Dancing with Mr. D Wembley Stadium London 11/09/73 (4:28)
02 AC/DC - Sin City Hammersmith Odeon London 11/02/79 (5:04)
03 Aerosmith - Lord of the Thighs Masonic Hall Detroit 4/14/74 (5:03)
04 Alice Cooper - I'm Eighteen LA Forum Inglewood, CA 6/28/75 (4:14)
05 Foghat - Slow Ride Wallingford, CT 11/18/76 (8:33)
06 Free - All Right Now Bracknell Sports Centre Berkshire, UK 10/14/72 (6:03)
07 Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water Stadhalle Bremen, Germany 9/18/74 (10:11) (audience)
08 Jimi Hendrix Experience - Wild Thing (erotic sacrifice) Monterey Pop Festival Monterey, CA 6/18/67 (9:48)
09 Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven Municipal Auditorium Mobile, AL 5/13/73 (10:32)
10 Judas Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death Calderone Long Island, NY 7/05/80 (7:09)
11 Ozzy Osbourne - Suicide Solution > Randy solo St. Denis Theater Montreal, QC 7/28/81 (8:35)

I can 'up' this.
Hard/Heavy

(=&aweebitsilly?>+)
Old 01.01.2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Heavy Metal song that defines the genre:

probably "master of puppets" since it has a bit of everything without really going into extremes or being defined by genre.

sabbath from 1969-1981, roughly.

3. One Heavy Metal album you would want on a desert island:

isis - oceanic

the toxic waltz!! hahahaha; seriously, i'll go with meshuggah's new milennium cyanide christ.

(demonrail: this should have been one song that makes you headbang! sheez!)

curiously enough, not one metal song makes me want to start chugging booze, but judas priest, especially british steel with their anthems "breaking the law" and "living after midnight" and maiden's run to the hills make for excellent drinking music...i do have the tendendy to yell in falsetto when listening to these songs and drinking.

early einstürzende neubauten because of their instrumentation. for other reasons, i'll go with big black or swans.

not counting ratm or nü metal or metalcore and their malltv irk, kiss.

8. British or American:

i'll go with japanese: zeni geva, corrupted, boris, coffins, s.o.b., etc.

besides 'cross the breeze, which is too obvious...i was going to say kool thing since it has some badass riffs but fuck it, i'll go with 'cross the breeze.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2008, 05:41 PM   #8
demonrail666
invito al cielo

It's interesting that so many of you are saying that Sabbath 'define' the genre. Although it's obviously wrong to say that any band can fully 'define' a genre but I always think Sabbath (although Massive in influence) only really represent a certain strand (not much evidence of Hair/Glam Metal, for example) Judas Priest, who for some reason have become deeply unfashionable compared to a band like Sabbath, have covered most bases and are far more of a link to bands like Guns n Roses, as well as providing an explicit link to the likes of Metallica and Megadeth. The British Steel album alone manages to anticipate most of the key Metal sub-genres in about 35 minutes. Not a big deal, just thinking aloud I suppose.
Old 01.01.2008, 05:49 PM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Oops, you forgot that Judas Priest also defined most of the "look" for performers in the genre. You know, because Halford is a superfreak and into S&M.

And true, a lot of what came after can be found under the Judas Priest umbrella, but Black Sabbath just rocks more.

I like both, but I'm not a huge fan of either.
Old 01.01.2008, 06:03 PM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It's interesting that so many of you are saying that Sabbath 'define' the genre. Although it's obviously wrong to say that any band can fully 'define' a genre but I always think Sabbath (although Massive in influence) only really represent a certain strand (not much evidence of Hair/Glam Metal, for example) Judas Priest, who for some reason have become deeply unfashionable compared to a band like Sabbath, have covered most bases and are far more of a link to bands like Guns n Roses, as well as providing an explicit link to the likes of Metallica and Megadeth. The British Steel album alone manages to anticipate most of the key Metal sub-genres in about 35 minutes. Not a big deal, just thinking aloud I suppose.

yes and no.

1) sabbath defined the MUSIC, and while yes, you have to point out the aesthetic and overall influence of priest and it is undeniable, i really don't care how metal bands look, i never liked leather anything, to tell you the truth; so it boils down to the music and priest actually, like many many many many others before and after them, just took a little corner of sabbath sound and went off with it (the coda to "black sabbath", their fast songs), perfecting it if you will.

2) sabbath denied the atmosphere of metal, everything from the deeply fast and frenetic feel of thrash and grindcore to the more brooding soundscapes of black metal to the hostile ambience of sludge/doom/what have you call it of everyone from my dying bride to eyehategod. priest, at the end of the day, just dressed in leather and played good songs.

2) i don't consider and will never for the life of me understand, musically, glam/hair as metal. are you going to tell me warrant has something to do with eyehategod? yes, they had long hair and distortion but so do contemporary country singers.

(don't get me wrong, i love hair/glam, it's incredibly funny fun music, but it's definitely not metal. unlike the power metal of manowar, helloween, stratovarious, etc. which is so focused on all the peripheral stuff of the genre that they become so ridiculous is funny as hell to listen and, above all, look at.)
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2008, 06:05 PM   #11
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Judas Priest is probably a better answer. To me Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are the two stalwart classics of metal.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2008, 06:05 PM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Judas Priest is probably a better answer.

Yeah, Judas Priest, as demonrail points out, is probably the better answer, but again, Black Sabbath with Ozzy just rocks more on the whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
To me Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are the two stalwart classics of metal.

Yes indeed-y.
I's always refreshing to read someone's post when they know their history correctly. Then again, we live in the age of VH-1 specials and so forth, so it isn't terrribly astounding. On the subject of history, who is it that inspired people to want to play the guitar faster and faster in the first place? Why, that's none other than James Marshall Hendrix, who largely honed his craft during time spent in the UK where metal began. And, to this day (and most probably for all time to come) no one plays a guitar better than Jimi.
---
From what I know about Thurston, he'd hypothetically be going Alice Cooper and Venom with some of his responses.
Old 01.01.2008, 07:28 PM   #13
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
priest, at the end of the day, just dressed in leather and played good songs.

Both true, but to say 'just' is a bit unfair. K K Downing and Glenn Tipton are widely recognised as pretty much laying down the blueprint for Thrash with their 'twin-guitar' style.
Old 01.01.2008, 08:02 PM   #14
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
From what I know about Thurston, he'd hypothetically be going Alice Cooper and Venom with some of his responses.

I'm sure Thurston, Don Fleming and Mike Watt love nothing more than to meet up for their weekly secret 'ironic keg party', where they can sit around eating mayonaaise sandwiches while showing the horns to some Dio. I'm guessing they might even, on occasion, invite Harmony Korine over, just incase they run out of ways to be nauseating.

Sorry I'm drunk, but as they say, a White Russian never lies.
Old 01.01.2008, 08:06 PM   #15
atari 2600
invito al cielo

When I think of bullet belts, I think of Ted Nugent. Don't know for sure if he ever wore any onstage though. Hey, does anybody know if BulletBoys (haha, remember that crap act?) ever wore bullet belts?
Old 01.01.2008, 11:39 PM   #16
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know how anyone could classify AC/DC as 'metal'.
Old 01.02.2008, 02:32 AM   #17
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
Uh...

NILE.
Bicorn Halfelven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 03:55 AM   #18
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
metallic satanic school boy rock n' metal. who cares.

everything isnt intended to fit neatly into a labeled box. some things can fit nicely into more than one box.

I could say anything and you'd react against it. Why? I think you're just a reactionary-fuck.

AC/DC do not fit in the category 'metal'.
It's an uneducated, 'I only own Back in Black', comment.
Old 01.02.2008, 04:12 AM   #19
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Man, I hate AC/DC, but they are the most fucking ROCK band in the world. Metal and rock are entirely different worlds, no matter how you cut it.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 05:03 AM   #20
jakeonguitar
bad moon rising

jakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's asses
Heh. I'm not up to par with any metal/punk knowledge, so I'm not doing these surveys.

I want to just drop my $.02 if anyone will listen. I think it's very easy to see AC/DC and immediately think, "Heavy metal? No." in this day and age. That is, I believe, because the category of heavy metal is for the majority filled with more modern (i.e., heavier) bands and sub-genre bands (black metal, death metal, grindcore, whatever) that embody the immediate epitome of "heavy metal." If that was confusing, what I meant to say cleanly is: the contemporary heavy metal is much heavier than it was in the past.

Thus, heavy metal from the 60's-80's is almost classic rock or just rock to a lot of people right now, I believe. This, once again in my opinion, is because the stuff today is ridiculously heavier than it was 30 years ago. But, conversely, living in the 70's as a 30 year old average joe, the opinion of "Damn! AC/DC is some heavy music!" was probably common. So, that was their heavy metal.

Again I stress, that's just an opinion. Means shit.
jakeonguitar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth