Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is Boyd Rice the best artist ever or what?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Poll
Oooohhhhhhh!!! 3 33.33%
WOW!! 0 0%
Meh! 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05.29.2008, 05:42 AM   #1
sarramkrop

Sorry, this piece by him deserves its own thread. I'll attach a poll.

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 05:48 AM   #2
sarramkrop

Haha. Adam Parfrey is a close second.

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 06:08 AM   #3
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
is it horrible that i found these amusing?
Old 05.29.2008, 06:37 AM   #4
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, he's pretty interesting, i still prefer Gus Van Sant and Jack Siegel though, but they are just artists who are working in the style i love.

Gus Van Sant

Jack Siegel

screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 06:52 AM   #5
sarramkrop

Boyd Rice is far from being a good visual artist but I find him amusing both as a musician and whatever it is that he is into at any particular time. Jack Siegel and Gus Van Sant's pictures I find a little too anonymous looking. They're ok, don't get me wrong, it's just that they seem to lack any character.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 06:58 AM   #6
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Boyd Rice is an asshole.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 07:00 AM   #7
sarramkrop

Oh Danny, we've had this before. He is certainly capable of being quite the arsehole and I couldn't disagree more with some of his ''ideas'', yet he tackles subjects in a way that I find appealing.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 07:05 AM   #8
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
please danny, you're english, say arsehole
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 07:06 AM   #9
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Unpop Art = Yawn.
Rice is an attention seeking tosser, with no clue about aesthetics.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 07:10 AM   #10
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Oh Danny, we've had this before. He is certainly capable of being quite the arsehole and I couldn't disagree more with some of his ''ideas'', yet he tackles subjects in a way that I find appealing.

We have indeed clashed over this before, somewhere in the past. I just don't agree with how he's treated women on certain occasions in his personal life and I know it's a little silly to write off his artwork because of this, but I do anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilet and bowels

Sorry, I just got off the phone with some American telemarketing arsehole and she couldn't even spell my name properly, so when I had her spell it out she still couldn't understand a word I was saying. So I guess I was in American-spelling/expletive mode.

God Save The Queen.
Old 05.29.2008, 07:12 AM   #11
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
Gus Van Sant

That film was so boring. Except for the part where the security guard is cut in two by the train and he's crawling towards the kid for help and all his entrails are being dragged behind him, that was pretty Savini-esque and I enjoyed it.
Old 05.29.2008, 07:13 AM   #12
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
never checked out boyd rice's music, it's not particularly high on my list of priorities, the fact the he was/is (is he alive?) a moronic loser isn't encouraging me to check him out either.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 07:14 AM   #13
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
That film was so boring. Except for the part where the security guard is cut in two by the train and he's crawling towards the kid for help and all his entrails are being dragged behind him, that was pretty Savini-esque and I enjoyed it.

That is such a typical reaction, i expect you were looking like this whilst you typed that.

The thing about Gus Van Sant's films is that they are not plot driven, they are art based films. So if you're looking for a blockbuster then go see something else.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 07:20 AM   #14
sarramkrop

I don't think that I've ever watched a movie by Van Sant that didn't want to make me sleep soundly. He really, really should have stuck at being a musician.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 07:31 AM   #15
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Unpop Art = Yawn.
Rice is an attention seeking tosser, with no clue about aesthetics.

Well, tokolosh, that is a bit generic. I think that we both like sometimes artists that could be deemed pretentious attention-seekers. Boyd Rice is one of them for sure, he still manages to remain less annoying than your Tracy Emins etc etc, at least because I'm fairly sure he knows that he's never gonna get overexposed any time soon. As a musician alone he made some great records with NON, solo or others.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 08:00 AM   #16
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Well, tokolosh, that is a bit generic. I think that we both like sometimes artists that could be deemed pretentious attention-seekers. Boyd Rice is one of them for sure, he still manages to remain less annoying than your Tracy Emins etc etc, at least because I'm fairly sure he knows that he's never gonna get overexposed any time soon. As a musician alone he made some great records with NON, solo or others.

His "art" reminds me of stuff I would encounter at rotten.com, t-shirt hell and the like. Cheap and gimmicky. I have no comment about his music.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 08:31 AM   #17
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
he's a traitor, he likes american fast food.
Old 05.29.2008, 08:36 AM   #18
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
His "art" reminds me of stuff I would encounter at rotten.com, t-shirt hell and the like. Cheap and gimmicky. I have no comment about his music.
Yeah I agree, it is awful, wrong and cheap-looking. That's why I like it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 08:43 AM   #19
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Wacky Boydy-Woydy-Wice and his Barbie Doll collection? He sure is a jolly japester, innie? (I suspect though he smells of wee).
Old 05.29.2008, 09:43 AM   #20
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I like some of Non's music, but then his damn personality always muddles it up in the back of my mind. His art brings that personality to the forebrain, and so I dislike it because I dislike him as a perpetual twelve year old boy discovering Nietzche and that he can piss off his parents without getting kicked off the trust fund. I find it impossible to judge as if it were by somebody anonymous, but then I'd probably still find it boring at best.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth