Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Public Enemy is coming to Chicago
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.08.2007, 01:40 PM   #1
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure how I feel about seeing them current-day. Thoughts? Comments?
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
Hahaha. Get them to sign a comic book and then burn it and then say...whatcha gonna do now sucka!
Daddylikes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 01:44 PM   #3
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Now that isn't very nice.

Perhaps I'm being unfair, but somehow old Chuck D doesn't quite retain his bad-assness. And he dissed Flava, so I'm not too pleased with him at the moment.
Old 02.08.2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have to imagine a time machine would be necessary to really enjoy the PE live experience.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know enough about it. I just think it's funny they have a comic book.

They seemed like a joke to me from the start. I prefer L.L. Cool J.
Old 02.08.2007, 01:49 PM   #6
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddylikes

How very controversial of you!

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 01:50 PM   #7
truncated
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddylikes

Whether in jest or not, I will confess a liking of L.L. Cool J. Do I need a reason?
Old 02.08.2007, 01:51 PM   #8
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

It was no jest. I always sing "Hey Lover" at karaoke. You never need a reason to make sweet love to me
Old 02.08.2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Public Enemy is the pinnacle, the high water mark of Hip hop. Nothing has ever reached it since and likely nothing ever will. from their umitigated Uber-sampling created by the Bomb Squad (chuck D and several others) crafted from half second samples and noise and sirens and just intended to make your blood boil and agitate you, to the bombastic rhymes of the hard rhymer himself, to the anarchic freakout of Flava Flav, Public Enemy will always remain the benchmark for the kidn of revolutionary conscious rap that is deep underground these days.
LL Cool J can go fucking suck a fat nutsac with his bullshit party rhymes and dipshit boasts, and ridiculous raps dissing Kool Moe Dee.

Public Enemy were ahead of their time and beyond their time. The trifecta of It takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Fear of a Black Planet and Apocalypse 91: the Enemy Strikes Black are the holy trinity of political hip hop.

P.E. spoke about the real deal without bragging about their money, without braging about their "ho's" without having to get into stupid diss wars with other rappers. They transcended the personal and spoke the universal.

Long Live PE
Old 02.08.2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Night of the Living baseheads
(first and best song by a big group talking about the crack epidemic, back when it was still called Base, after "freebase" the method by which you cook cocaine to amke crack, and what Richard Pryor was doing when he set his own ass on fire.)

Here it is
BAMMM
And you say Goddamn
This is the dope jam
But lets define the term called dope
And you think it mean funky now nope
Here is a true tale
Of how the ones that deal
Are the ones that fail
Yeah
You can move if you wanna move
What it prove?
It's here like the groove
The problem is this, we gotta' fix it
Check out the justice and how they run it
Sellin', smellin'
Sniffin', riffin'
And brothers try to get swift an'
Sell to their own, rob a home
While some shrivel to bone
Like comatose walkin' around
Please don't confuse this with the sound
I'm talking about...BASE
I put this together to...
Rock the bells of those that
Boost the dose
Of lack a lack
And those that sell to Black
Shame on a brother when he dealin'
The same block where my 98 be wheelin'
And everybody know
Another kilo
From a corner from a brother to keep another -
Below
Stop illin' and killin'
Stop grillin'
Yo, black, yo (we are willin')
4, 5 o'clock in the mornin'
Wait a minute y'all
The fiends are fiendin'
Day to day they say no other way
This stuff...
Is really bad
I'm talkin' 'bout...BASE

Yo, listen
I see it on their faces
(First come first serve basis)
Standin' in line
Checkin' the time
Homeboys playin' the curb
The same ones that used to do herb
Now they're gone
Passin' it on
Poison attack - the Black word bond
Daddy-O
Once said to me
He knew a brother who stayed all day in his jeep
And at night he went to sleep
And in the mornin' all he had was
The sneakers on his feet
The culprit used to jam and rock the mike, yo
He stripped the jeep to fill his pipe
And wander around to find a place
Where they rocked to a different kind of...BASE
Old 02.08.2007, 02:14 PM   #11
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
um lampin' um lampin'! cold cold lampin'!

they're coming to new orleans and i'm more than ready to shell out the 30 clams to see it...i think.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 02:17 PM   #12
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
god knows chicago needs something to liven itself up. its a ghost town.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 02:41 PM   #13
truncated
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Public Enemy is the pinnacle, the high water mark of Hip hop. Nothing has ever reached it since and likely nothing ever will. from their umitigated Uber-sampling created by the Bomb Squad (chuck D and several others) crafted from half second samples and noise and sirens and just intended to make your blood boil and agitate you, to the bombastic rhymes of the hard rhymer himself, to the anarchic freakout of Flava Flav, Public Enemy will always remain the benchmark for the kidn of revolutionary conscious rap that is deep underground these days.
LL Cool J can go fucking suck a fat nutsac with his bullshit party rhymes and dipshit boasts, and ridiculous raps dissing Kool Moe Dee.

Public Enemy were ahead of their time and beyond their time. The trifecta of It takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Fear of a Black Planet and Apocalypse 91: the Enemy Strikes Black are the holy trinity of political hip hop.

P.E. spoke about the real deal without bragging about their money, without braging about their "ho's" without having to get into stupid diss wars with other rappers. They transcended the personal and spoke the universal.

Long Live PE

That was almost poetic. Has made me reconsider my reluctance to attend.
Old 02.08.2007, 06:16 PM   #14
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Public Enemy were the greatest hip hop group of all time. I dont know why anyone would be reluctant to go see them. If I had the money, I'd be there in a heart beat.
Fuck modern rappers. A bunch of ignorant, gangbangers with no brains and too much money. Just a bunch of stupid children with less common sense than a turtle.

And fuck Flava Flav! He's become an embarrassment to himself and to PE as a whole. I used to like him back in the day. Now he's a living punchline with his awful shows on VH1 that make him look like a cracked out black male versionm of Anna Nicole Smith (whom I am glad is dead!!!!). If Flav wants back in the group he better start proving his worth, because right now he's a laughing stock.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 08:12 PM   #15
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Whether in jest or not, I will confess a liking of L.L. Cool J. Do I need a reason?

no, LL was great for a while and coincodentally he's chuck d's favourite rapper of all time. i saw PE last year and they were superb, if i'd had any money on me i would have bought the lived DVD they recorded of the show and then sold at the end. what did chuck say about flav?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 08:28 PM   #16
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I missed them in their heyday, so I'd definitely go.
Old 02.08.2007, 08:34 PM   #17
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
They performed Washington Sq Park here in NY last summer. The show was a benefit to help save CBGB's and they rocked a 30min set. I don't have a early 90's show under my belt to compare it to but the show was solid.
They were current with their politics, and strong on the stage.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 10:12 PM   #18
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
As others before me have posted PUblic Enemy ruuuuules
But, I don't know about their shows. Don't they just play the songs and then sing over them?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 01:34 PM   #19
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
I'm not sure how I feel about seeing them current-day. Thoughts? Comments?

They're coming to Amsterdam too and I've been wondering the same thing... I did see them once, in the late 90's so also past their prime, but that was definitely enjoyable. Just Professor Griff was really making a fool out of himself by giving the longest and most embarrassing "hey, check out our t-shirts and merch for sale!/did you know my solo-album's finally coming out?it's going to be the best thing in hiphop ever!" self-promotional speech I've ever seen anyone do on a stage...

Last time they played Holland was about a year ago I think. I skipped that gig, but I might go this time, even if it's just for old times sake. Besides, it's billed as the 20th anniversary tour, so hopefully they'll make something special out of it. What could be stopping me is the ticket price of almost 30 euros though... that's pretty damn expensive compared with just about every other gig i go to.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 02:00 PM   #20
truncated
invito al cielo

The monetary issue is another thing - I need to start paying more of my student loans, and I'm not sure I want to shell out cash on a show that I fear may ruin the glorified effigy I have mentally created of P.E. I'm not much of a show-goer as it is anyhow, as mass gatherings of other human bodies get cloying and send me into mild episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
what did chuck say about flav?
I don't remember the exact quote, but he made a comment about him having become embarrassing. Which I find odd, as he's said in the past that Flav is a character of sorts, a persona meant to add energy to the group. In my lay observation, I don't think Flav has really detoured from that persona; he's simply more publicized, and capitalizing on that image. Whether one perceives him as ridiculous or not, he's stayed true to that image, and I won't fault him for that.

Then again, I don't really know the context in which Chuck D said that. I stand by ready to rescind all negative comments, should further information elucidate the matter.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth