Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Songs that have become fused with specific memories
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.19.2009, 03:49 PM   #1
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
I posted this one in the 'NYC Ghosts + Flowers' thread and I felt like the topic deserved its own discussion:

'StreamXsonik Subway' is one of those songs that is permanently linked to a memory for me, so much so that it's impossible to separate the two. And it's not a meaningful link, just one of those 'I happened to be listening to this song as I was performing this activity, and now the two are fused' scenarios.

In any case it's not a bad memory. It's just a random one. I was playing a lot of Mario 64 while listening to the album shortly after it came out. 'StreamXsonik Subway' just happened to come on while I was in the 'Lethal Lava Land' level where you're inside of the volcano making your way to the top, jumping from pole to pole way above the flaming base. It's those aerial pole jumps that are linked to the song the most, and vice versa.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 03:54 PM   #2
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
I also, unfortunately, have an inseperable link between Calvin & Hobbes and Marilyn Manson's 'Mechanical Animals.' I listened to that album for the first time while reading through one of the last Calvin & Hobbes releases, and then it just stuck. Fortunately, the album doesn't always play in my head when I read Calvin & Hobbes, although it does at least pop in there for a second. I can't think of the album, however, with images of Calvin springing to mind.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 04:01 PM   #3
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus is always associated in my mind with The Post Office, cause I listened to it almost exclusively while reading it.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 04:01 PM   #4
sarramkrop

Talk Talk's 'Life What's You Make It' always reminds me of Christmas, as well as Duran Duran's 'Wild Boys'.

Depeche Mode's 'It's Called A Heart' always reminds me of the end of summer and going back to school.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 04:18 AM   #5
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Tarzan Boy (whoever sung that?) and my last day in my first hometown, playing with friends a block away from the cathedral.

Reggae Night and a train school trip to Paris to see a play about the life of Jesus.

Songs from Massive Attack album Mezzanine remind me of a birthday party near Bordeaux. The guy that had gotten older was a friend of a friend and he was flat broke. He had lost his job at the swimming pool (had gone to the ladies' and asked if he could touch some lady's tits). The only thing he bought was a huge plastic dustbin. The rest he stole. The rest was gallons of rum poured down the bin; it was filled up to the brim. The guests were rather young and eager to get drunk. There was a good-looking guy, with his girlfriend. His ex girlfriends were there too, and they all quarelled at some point, while he was in a haze over his guitar. His younger brother puked around. The eldest kept saying that he didn't want his girlfriend to have an abortion (she had wanted to get pregnant, no matter what he said, and reached her goal) when all his pals spoke naughty words about her and gave her the cold shoulder. I remember a nympho too. It all ended in a guy running sideways past midnight in front of the house barking he would bash some other guy with the baseball bat he had got out of his car. I remember the bloke who had tried to calm him down got so pissed he came back from the spare room where he had left his coat with a nice looking glistening knife, muttering "I will kill him".
I don't listen to Massive Attack a lot.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 04:20 AM   #6
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
"Voyage Voyage" reminds me of being a little kid, feeding on chocolate cakes and playing with Lego.
Also, most of Depeche Mode 80's output reminds me of sitting in the corner of my brother's room and trying to act like him.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 05:41 AM   #7
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Loveless reminds me of taking a sick day during my first summer job in high school and sleeping/meditating to it in the heat of my car parked outside K-Mart.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 12:23 PM   #8
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
there are many songs attached to many memories in my life. small flowers crack concrete will always be east berlin in the winter/late autumn.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 01:42 PM   #9
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
Tarzan Boy (whoever sung that?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0n9Dv6XnY
Awesome call.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 02:30 PM   #10
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic and summer home after freshman college year reading Tom McGuane's 92 in the Shade. The songs and the book plus the summer sun just all seemed perfectly integrated. Though now I'm not sure why. But at the time...
Old 05.20.2009, 04:09 PM   #11
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
ghostface killah's "biscuits" song always reminds me of the first time i took ecstasy.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 04:20 PM   #12
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
In the Aeroplane... (the entire album) makes me think of summer school, sleeping in the grass on my lunch break.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 04:24 PM   #13
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
"The Crystal Ship" and "The End" by The Doors are linked with the fall semester of my Sophomore year of high school.
Old 05.20.2009, 04:28 PM   #14
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
The entire Beatles catalogue = junior high.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth