Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page show(s) you feel most fortunate to have seen
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.25.2008, 01:44 PM   #21
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth @ the Troubador 2004
Bunny Wailer @ the Hollywood Bowl August 2004
Burning Spear @ the Hollywood Bowl 2007
Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus @ the Getty Center 2004
Sleater Kinney @ the Roxy 1999
Subhumans @ the Knitting Factory 2005
Sister Nancy New Years Eve 2007 @ the Dub Club
China Smith and Kidus I @ the Dub Club 2008
Abyssinians @ the Vault 350 2007

I have seen every old school reggae artists that is still alive and playing shows except for Lee Scartch Perry who is a snake, and Sugar Minott whose show I regretably missed last month...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 02:32 PM   #22
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
Pavement at Glastonbury either 98 or 99??
Old 07.25.2008, 03:19 PM   #23
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangajunky
I've seen so many legendary shows in the 80's and 90's. Too many to list.

One of my favorite moments was at a double bill show with the Exploited and Warzone.

The Exploited - left wing pseudo political punk rock with such gems as "Fuck the USA"

teamed up with the Lower East Side skinhead band

Warzone - right wing pseudo political skinhead band with a rabid NYC following.

This was one of the Chris Williamson promoted shows right after the legendary Jane Street rock hotel closed down. This one was at the Ritz on
11th street (now known as Webster Hall).

The place was packed. It was almost impossible to move. The crowd was pretty even 50/50 punks and skinheads. I was pretty friendly with a lot of different types of people at that time, both skins and punks. I was hanging out with my regular crowd. About 8-10 kids. We were mostly mohawk punk rockers. A few from Queens, the LES and NJ. Warzone took the stage and they were fucking tight. The crowd was going wild. There were a couple of angry words exchanged here and there between punks and skins but nothing too outrageous -
Warzone left the stage and the stage was then surrounded by skins, backs to the stage. The mood in the air was tense. The Exploited were about to get onstage. A couple of punks here and there were shouting things. A kid next to me, obviously ignorant of skinhead attitudes shouted out "Fuck the USA!" Much to the ire of a tall skinny skinhead guy in front of me. He got in the kid's face and the kid backed off immediately. No punches thrown.

The Exploited got onstage. They began to jump into their set. Hard, fast, not anywhere near as tight as Warzone. They were obviously peeved at having to stare at all those backs. About halfway through the second song they just gave up and dropped their instruments after shouting some obsceneties at the crowd.

They walked off stage - Wattie came back onstage with a pizza and threw it on the crowd and that was it. Show's over. Legendary. I was giggling for the whole rest of the night.

the exploited were more right wing but sang left wing lyrics just to get a following. their biggest fans were nazi skins and they def. catered to that crowd.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 03:20 PM   #24
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
fugazi in 1999

that's the only show that really matters to me nowadays.
Old 07.25.2008, 03:21 PM   #25
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
the exploited were more right wing but sang left wing lyrics just to get a following. their biggest fans were nazi skins and they def. catered to that crowd.

so strange -
and Warzone are hardly Nazi skins - so are you saying that what I saw was the opposite of what happened?

Aaaaah it doesn't matter - the show was legendary.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 03:24 PM   #26
uhler
invito al cielo

Quote:
so strange -
and Warzone are hardly Nazi skins - so are you saying that what I saw was the opposite of what happened?

no i'm just saying that the exploited weren't really leftists.

i consider warzone a street punk band with oi and hardcore influences.
Old 07.25.2008, 03:43 PM   #27
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
Mine was seeing Shellac at Evershot village hall, i think it was round about the time when he was producing album (s?) for P J Harvey, Evershot is a very small Dorset village, it was just surreal sat in the pub before the gig, with Steve Albini chatting away with P J At the bar. Shellac were amazing, Todd Trainer stole the show. I think Dick from the Subhumans (British!) was in the audience too, strange great evening.
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 03:44 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
shellac's probably amongst the best, if not THE best, bands i've ever seen as well.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 03:45 PM   #29
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
-Boredoms with Lightning Bolt opening.
-Boredoms again with Black Pus (Brian Chippendale of LB) opening.
-SY DDN show.
-Liars during their Drum's Not Dead tour.
-Dinosaur Jr's first reunion show in NYC with Broken Social Scene and Magik Markers opening.
-Yo La Tengo on the day after xmas 2005.
-Grizzly Bear at the Socity For Ethical Culture (most incredible acoustics i've ever experienced).

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 04:37 PM   #30
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
I'm so disappointed in this thread. I was expecting more stories and less lists.

What made these shows so fucking great?

Don't let yer meat loaf.
Old 07.25.2008, 04:43 PM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
tits and ass.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 04:45 PM   #32
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
tits and ass.

You must've seen a Butthole Surfers show.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
Old 07.25.2008, 04:59 PM   #33
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
The Doobie Brothers, 1975. Word!
Old 07.25.2008, 05:08 PM   #34
uhler
invito al cielo

the fugazi show was amazing besides you know it's fugazi, but they played every song i wanted to hear (pre the arguement) and they didn't play waiting room (which was another plus). jerry busher played second drums on some songs like closed caption. the crowd was great since they didn't have to stop between songs. it was just great.

and slipknot played the night before and a bunch of dudes were there in their jncos and slipknot shirts. probably waiting for them to play waiting room.
Old 07.25.2008, 05:08 PM   #35
Crumb's Crunchy Delights
expwy. to yr skull

Crumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard sucka
mine eyes beheld the glory of the mlevins reunion show circa january 2008

john and co kicked it large
Crumb's Crunchy Delights is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 05:29 PM   #36
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
What the fuck?

Yeah baby!

Einstuerzende went all 'post - modern' and got Showaddywaddy to support them - I kid you not.

Fucking bizarre but very entertaining.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 06:05 PM   #37
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Heart, 1974
Old 07.25.2008, 06:12 PM   #38
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
so strange -

I dont mess with these kind of shows, because Uhler is correct, they attract nazis. and nazi punks fuck off!

Its a shame in the punk scene how you have to go to blatantly ANTI NAZI gigs from OVERTLY ANTINAZI bands with EXTRAORDINARILY ANTINAZI lyrics in order to be safe from having to get in a fight with some bitch ass motherfuckin nazi punks...

I was surprised that some nazis chased a brother of mine at the last Youth Brigade show last month, cuz youth brigade do not attract nazis like exploited or worse the Addicts attract. with punk, stay strictly anti-nazi. if you tolerate nazi punks you are a bitch like them. when you see nazi punks the bullshit evil they believe in justifies you to take flight on them on sight! if you dont confront them, they will not realize how wrong they are. you have to make nazis feel physicall uncomfortable with swift and blinding violence, in order that they repent and realize their stupidity. Nazism is absolutely unacceptable.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 09:08 PM   #39
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
bash the fash!

Oi!
Nineteen nineties and the nazis are back
Family burnt out in an arson attack
Children lying in hospital dying of their burns
It's about time that everyone learns (to)

BASH - BASH THE FASH!

Germany in the thirties was the same
A life or death struggle - not some kind of game
Learn at least the basics of some martial art
Then you'll be ready when the aggro starts

B.N.P. scum marching on your street
They even get elected when they should get beat
Beat off the streets that belong to us
You won't stop them with chants and placards so just

First they came for the Jews
And I did nothing to help them because I was not a Jew
Then they came for the communists
And I did nothing to help them because I was not a communist
Next they came for the trade unionists
And I did nothing to help them because I was not a trade unionist
And then they came for me
And there was no one left to help me

Adolf Hitler himself said that the only way the rise of the German nazi party could have been prevented was if its
enemies had recognised it for what it was right at the start and had smashed it in its infancy with utmost force.
For once we would agree with him - waving placards and chanting at fascists through megaphones
accomplishes absolutely nothing. The only way to stop nazi scum like the B.N.P. is by physically confronting
them and literally kicking them off our streets.

Nazi falls amidst a hall of fists and feet
Stomping out the rhythm of the cable street beat
With our boots on the scumbag's head
The only good nazi is one that's dead

A.F.A. girls and boys block the fash escape route
Now we've got them cornered and they're gonna eat boot
Trying to escape but they just can't manage
Our boots rain in wreaking terrible damage
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2008, 10:11 PM   #40
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth with Green River and Upright Citizens at Gorilla Gardens in Seattle in 1985.

Chris Knox at Midnight Sun in Olympia in 1995. Elliott Smith at same location in 1996. John Fahey at same location in 1996 or 97.

Big Black with U-men at Showbox in Seattle in 1988.

Tupelo Chain Sex at Gorilla Gardens in Seattle in 1985.

Dictators with Lunachix at Off Ramp in Seattle in 1992.

Unwound's last gig at Thekla in Olympia in 2002.

Rocket from the Tombs at Lola's in Portland in 2003.

Nirvana at Squid Row in Seattle with three other people in the audience, opening for Skin Yard in 1989.

Allen Ginsberg at the Backstage in Seattle in 1990.

Wipers with U-men in Bellingham in 1985.

Other notables: Cobra, Painkiller, Palace, Pere Ubu, Fugazi, Einsturzende Neubauten, Pussy Galore, Melvins, Gang of Four, Robert Fripp and the League of Crafty Guitarists, Killdozer, Beat Happening, Girl Trouble, Fastbacks, Donovan, many more Sonic Youth shows, early Mudhoney shows, all 14 Olympia Experimental Music Festivals, Elliott Sharp, more I'm forgetting...
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth