Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what really is selling out?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.18.2006, 05:47 PM   #21
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Take the job, for fuck's sake. I shouldn't even be bother with constructing an argument for it. You'd be an idiot not to, you probably won't make it as a musician doing what you want to - this isn't a qualitative statement, it's a statistical fact, and even if you never sell out your principles, 99% of people may still think your music is shit. Again, not a personal dig (haven't heard your stuff) but to not take a job doing something you're good at/ enjoy is ridiculous, to my mind.

That's what I think too, thank you...
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 06:16 PM   #22
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
selling out is

when you make decisions about your craft (art/music/dance/literature/etc.) based on what will sell the most as opposed to what would be the BEST for the piece in question. that to me is selling out.

an artist/musician/writer can try anything, and attempt anything, but when they try to just polish it up so the lowest-common denominator out there likes it and thereby they sell a lot more, that is selling out.

You said it perfectly first post.
Old 12.19.2006, 10:36 AM   #23
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I sold out pretty hard for a few years and made a pretty good living playing '80s hit music in a club in Olympia WA. Sure it was sort of "ironic", and I snuck in stuff off of Goo and Ciccone Youth and even Husker Du or the Pistols on occasion, but the bread and butter was Madonna, Prince, Wham, Human League, ad nauseum. Coming from someone who spent the '80s saying how shit that stuff was (aside from Madonna who I always liked "ironically") I'm sure it was a sell out. What I learned though is that even in that realm there was room for creativity, and that making people happy, even playing stupid music, is a pretty cool job. And it's easier to get laid playing the Cure in a dance club than playing your own music in empty bars...
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2006, 11:03 AM   #24
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I sold out pretty hard for a few years and made a pretty good living playing '80s hit music in a club in Olympia WA. Sure it was sort of "ironic", and I snuck in stuff off of Goo and Ciccone Youth and even Husker Du or the Pistols on occasion, but the bread and butter was Madonna, Prince, Wham, Human League, ad nauseum. Coming from someone who spent the '80s saying how shit that stuff was (aside from Madonna who I always liked "ironically") I'm sure it was a sell out. What I learned though is that even in that realm there was room for creativity, and that making people happy, even playing stupid music, is a pretty cool job. And it's easier to get laid playing the Cure in a dance club than playing your own music in empty bars...

That's my feelings exactly. Sure, it may be a crap job, but at least it's a crap job that lets you play music.
Old 12.20.2006, 06:28 AM   #25
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Like I say, as long as you are not going against your artistic drive and having to swallow your creativity in order to pump out 10 jingles for a pop album, JUST to make some money, then your not selling out. The job your describing is just that a job. Take it. Make the music, you will have some experience under your belt, and I'm sure MTV will pay you well.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 11:09 AM   #26
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
I don't believe that "Selling out" exists. In fact I think that accusing someone of selling out is the biggest sell out move of them all, because yr basing yr opinions on something other than the final product.
Old 12.20.2006, 12:38 PM   #27
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I think you mean one corner or another.

hey, i'm the classy kind, you have to call and make and appointment, and then have a face to face with drinks before i decide to take money and slip you my cock. not all manwhores are created equal, you know.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 02:29 PM   #28
afterthefact
invito al cielo

I like the pic in your sig, like a modern day Elvis...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth