Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Am I the only person who doesnt think Sister is that good?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.06.2009, 05:06 PM   #21
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Its never grown on me in the way that A Thousand Leaves or Washing Machine have.
I can relate to this, yes.
Old 11.06.2009, 05:08 PM   #22
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
It's totally relevant to replace this into its context. Releasing this in 1987 was pretty much futuristic at the time.
Old 11.06.2009, 05:17 PM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
see, that sort of explaination means nothing to me. Bad Moon Rising and Evol - Daydream Nation and Goo. Inconceivably magnificent pieces of work. Sister just stands in the middle and doesnt stand up to those high water marks.

I wasn't trying to explain why YOU should like it, just why it is in high regard by so many people.
Old 11.06.2009, 05:21 PM   #24
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I wasn't trying to explain why YOU should like it, just why it is in high regard by so many people.

I was taking that as a given, perhaps i didnt make that clear.
Still, nice to have a bit of controversy innit?

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 05:22 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Pacific Coast Highway is perfect

Beauty Lies In The Eye is one of the greatest Kim Gordon seether slow build crescendo songs they have

Pipeline Kill Time is the motherfucking SHIT. I don't understand how you cannot shudder and bliss out when he whispers "we should kill time" with what sounds like an ocean of guitars softly crashing on a beach behind him

Catholic Block gets my blood pumping like few songs do.

I am biased though, since this and daydream nation are my favorite albums ever by anyone/
Old 11.06.2009, 05:23 PM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

gotta love a good dustup over LP's man!!!
Old 11.06.2009, 05:23 PM   #27
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
I'm down with Sister. But it's definitely not one of my preferred sonic albums. The thing that really kills that record for me is the way the drums sound. They just sound really lousy. With the exception of that one moment in Pipeline/Killtime where Steve does that brief disjointed bash and ends it with those two reverberated snare flams. I think it's around the minute marker, that part is bad. ass.

But because of that, that album doesn't really have the same energy to me that alot of the others do. But I'm cool with it, love Catholic Block, Stereo Sanctity, PCH, good album. But they have alot of better ones.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 05:26 PM   #28
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Pacific Coast Highway is perfect

Beauty Lies In The Eye is one of the greatest Kim Gordon seether slow build crescendo songs they have

Pipeline Kill Time is the motherfucking SHIT. I don't understand how you cannot shudder and bliss out when he whispers "we should kill time" with what sounds like an ocean of guitars softly crashing on a beach behind him

Catholic Block gets my blood pumping like few songs do.

I am biased though, since this and daydream nation are my favorite albums ever by anyone/

Indeed, Catholic Block and Beauty Lies im entirely with you. Pipelines ok, its nothing compared to something like Hoarfrost or Karen Koltrane though

Old 11.06.2009, 05:41 PM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

hoarfrost is dope indeed.
Old 11.06.2009, 05:43 PM   #30
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

noones agreed with me yet... i lie with baited breath

Old 11.06.2009, 06:05 PM   #31
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Well I kind of agreed with you. There are only like 3-5 SY albums that I like less than Sister. With that in mind, I've just put it back on to try again to click. Loving it so far, but that's just because Schizophrenia is still playing...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 06:06 PM   #32
mysonichaircut
children of satan

mysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's asses
this is ridiculous. sister is a masterpiece, and has not a single weak song on it. and they all fit together. perfect.
mysonichaircut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 08:17 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Amazing album, probably their best aside from Confusion...

Shitty production but who cares? The songs are mindblowing.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 08:28 PM   #34
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Schizophrenia is SO much better on YPB.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 08:30 PM   #35
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Sister is my favorite of the '80s. The way you feel about Sister is the way I feel about Daydream Nation, but not as extreme. Aside from The Sprawl, 'Cross the Breeze, and Rain King, all the other songs are just okay for me.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 09:25 PM   #36
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ive always had a problem with Sister, i dont know if its because the first time i listened to it i was on the tube with a malfunctioning CD player and cheap headphones, but i think alot of the songs on there - Schizophrenia, White Kross, Tuff Gnarl - are incredibly overrated. Catholic Block, Beauty Lies and Cotton Crown are fantastic tunes, but its really not remarkable as a collection of songs beyond that in ones humble opinion

Am I alone?

its not that Schizo, White Kross and Tuff Gnarl are overrated, rather that their album versions are nothing compared to the live versions. All of those tunes make for fantastic shows, and are always impressive, but truly the album versions are lackluster..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 09:42 PM   #37
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Am I alone?

Are you sure you're not the devil?
Old 11.07.2009, 12:01 AM   #38
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
The time it came out was a time of massive boredom. It is fresh for its time. As a SY piece it looks like it was thrown together with not a lot of thought. The track programming starts strong with Schizophrenia but doesnt finish strong. Lots of good stuff in between. I am surprised no one has mentioned Kotton Krown, masterpiece. Maybe I like it because of the T and K singing or because they name check NYC...
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 12:14 AM   #39
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Are you sure you're not the devil?

now that you mention it...

I do have Hold That Tiger and 1991 The Year that punk broke, the performances on both of those do supersede Sister, Tuff Gnarl on Hold That Tiger is particularly good.

Generally my point still stands

Old 11.07.2009, 12:16 AM   #40
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
your original point refers to the sound quality on the apparatus you were using. maybe you need to upgrade. on the other hand, sister has been canonized because of its lo-fi recording levels. i say, enjoy the warm fuzziness if you can.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth