Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page asp's classic albums # 86: yowie - cryptooology
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.29.2010, 11:10 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

This album only came out 6 years ago, but it blew me away then and blows me away now. Inspired by the HONEY RIDE ME A GOAT thread earlier, here's another one of the few bands inspired by the Magic Band and perhaps no wave... another one of those weirdo bands who decide to mix avant-progressive rock/rock in opposition with detuned high pitched no wave stuf. This is all instrumental, and it's very intricate. This band took over 3 years to write this one 7-song 31 minute album. They apparently played these songs for about 5 years and wrote another song or two, got rid of a guitarist and replaced him with a keyboardist, and I think there was a vocalist at some point.. and then the band finally called it quits, because the drummer was supposedly addicted to drugs... but whatever..

All that aside, they left this one absolutely incredible album. If you can wrap your head around two detuned clean guitars playing SUPER intricate lines that sound like, oh, EARLY SONIC YOUTH meets THE MAGIC BAND, with about 500 riffs a minute, and a drummer who is all over the place -- basically, it's kinda the sound that Skin Graft was built on (this was released on Skin Graft -- of course!), but this is my favorite album they released. It's really hard to convey the pure insanity of this music. While a lot of people lose their mind to Hella and Orthrelm and so on, this band -- in my opinion -- just wrote more compelling music.

Yada yada press:

"An incomprehensible blend of tightly wound math rock composition, but played with 'expressive' guitars, making them sound more like blood brothers to bands like U.S. Maple or Arab On Radar rather than Don Caballero. Each song packs more composition than an entire album from most (bands)... I've heard the future of music and my ears are still bleeding.
- Crackle Pop Journal

"In the band's three-year history, Yowie seems to have done everything in its reach to make things as difficult on itself as possible. It is in this constant self-challenge that one can see a sort of intellectual nobility shining through songs that often sound as if they'll spin out of control and whiz off into the ether. O'Connor's drumming is a befuddling barrage of 32nd notes, jarring stops and cymbal splashes that defies simple description, often calling to mind the rhythmic mayhem of the music of Raymond Scott, the composer of scores for countless cartoons from the 1940s. And the dueling, microtonally tuned guitars of Wonsewitz and Hagerty engage in sonic relationships that don't seem to want to exist, often creating dissonance that's oddly compelling. It's high-velocity music of intense discipline, rigid structure and focused force; Yowie's kung fu is very good. The aural ass-whupping they so effortlessly throw down energizes, excites and amazes further with every listen. It's an ululating tribute to human potential through music, a testament to the fact that we as humans have much further to go. If music is the history of the human spirit, Yowie proves that musicians could start being a little more honest with themselves by seeking out every remote nook and cranny in the mind and bathing the darkness in an unrelenting light If it's possible to explain Yowie in one sentence, Hagerty has at least come close, if not nailed it beautifully: 'The point is to free the material and the given tools from each other."
- The Riverfront Times

Addictive/brilliant/unbelievable/inspirational/masterpiece. Enjoy: http://www.mediafire.com/?nzhndottrzw

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2010, 12:45 AM   #2
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
eh, i tried with this one since a few of my friends (whose taste i trust) absolutely love it. i hear three minutes of it and i'm like, "okay, i get it. can i turn it off now?"

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2010, 01:09 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think you gotta be in the mood for it... (I mean, you can say that for most music, but you get my drift) I used to exclusively seek out "the most complex music EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" so I love it forever! I mean, it really is an incredible album, all kidding aside, but you have to want to have your circuits rewired.

Old 10.30.2010, 02:12 PM   #4
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
yknow i have this and never ever listened to it...gonna pull it out tionight!
Old 10.30.2010, 11:25 PM   #5
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
once again, thank you ASP! This shit is great!

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2010, 11:25 PM   #6
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
This shit is the shiznit

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2010, 01:40 AM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

no problem man.

one of the guitarist has an INCREDIBLE side project called MALADE DE SOUCI. MMMM-bbaa is one of the best albums ever made, completely insane.

http://www.mediafire.com/?m3yydhmtyiw

Dan and I tend to post some really weird shit on here from time to time, and this album is no exception. The album title says it all here. 93 songs across 25 tracks on a record that clocks in at under 20 minutes. I should also mention that the copy I got ahold of had jigsaw puzzle pieces glued to the back of it for no apparent reason. MMMM-bbaa is a quick listen and has some genuinely cool moments throughout, but it's not for the faint of heart or sonically unadventurous. If you're hesitent to download this, just play one of your Ruins albums backwards at double speed and you'll have an idea of what you're getting into.

enjoy!

Old 10.31.2010, 08:23 AM   #8
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds interesting, I'll give it a listen!
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Yowie a few years ago. It was one of the most impressive performances I have seen in the last ten years. I had no idea who they were at the time (saw them at a small festival), and I was converted very quickly.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth