Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.08.2016, 11:12 AM   #41
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Have you heard classic hip hop? Hip Hop has ALWAYS been about braggadocio just as much as it has been about telling one's story. Most of any genre is diarrhea if you want to get down to it.

music is first and foremost entertainment. Anything else you get out of it is gravy. I'd rather hear an entertaining and bass heavy track about whippin up a bag than a pedantic screed anyday. I can admire Run The Jewels but I find that, after 10 minutes or so, that shit is BORING

Gotta say I kind of agree on Run the Jewels. I guess I wouldn't say it's boring, because it's really quite powerful. But is it El-p's best work? Fuck no. Is it even Killer Mike's best work? I'd say no, though he does bring serious chops to te project. Mostly I just find that I don't play the albums very much. When I do, I turn them off after a few songs.

I kinda hope Killer Mike gets back to making solo records after RTJIII, and I hope El-p shuts the fuck up for a while, because I find him rather annoying when he's not staying quiet behind the boards.

The music is good, but I don't feel that it deserves quite as much fawning adulation as it receives. It grates after a while, not because it's low quality, but because it lacks sonic variation. If you look at classic hip hop albums, the really indisputable genre gems have more moods and flavors than seem to even be in RTJ's palette. It just gets a bit tedious is all.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2016, 11:48 AM   #42
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I was not being rude to YOU. I was being rude to shit ass Kanye. You are not what you like, right? I am not what I like either. I fully respect your opinions about Kanye, and I ask that you respect mine, although it is a polar opposite to yours!

Fuck Kanye, he sucks SHIT. His music is BORING. people LOVE brong music because most people are boring in themselves! Celine Dion sells out $300 a seat theaters in Vegas every fucking day and she sucks major ass. the most popular TV show in US? Big Bang Theory, possibly the single worst piece of shit sitcom of the last ten years... popularity does not equal quality.

Yeah, I actually said that already. Not just the thing about popularity not determining quality (which honestly doesn't need to be said - it's a given, and being adults, I doubt we need the reminder), but also the thing about opinions.

Touched on respect too.

I'm just genuinely surprised to hear someone as intelligent and articulate as you are make such a blunt and unrefined statement. It's fine if you disagree with me, but the way you chose to disagree kind of surprised me. I'm used to reading your blog at this point, and hearing you express yourself more imaginatively and maturely.

Also, to some extent we really can be what we like. I hate that "you are what you listen to" shit that snobby vinyl stores peddle because it's marketing attitudes of exclusivity and contributing to generations of know-it-all pitchforkian assholes who think they're god's gift to music fandom.

But we all surely have artists whose music means so much to us personally that it becomes part of our identity even when nobody's around to reflect it back on us (which is what shallow little record store twerps want - to be recognized as that "cool music" guy/gal who is insulted by the mere mention of musicians that aren't up to his/her standards).
I have as deep an emotional connection with certain musicians as I do with authors. Kanye's one of them, though I never expected that he would be. So while I accept that everyone has their own opinion, I also can't entirely distance myself from the music.

It's kind of like if you'd said "fuck Lou Reed/Thurston Moore/John Lennon, they suck shit" ... I've spent a lifetime with these artists and their music is part of who I am. I'd expect more than just a "fuck him, he sucks shit" if you were talking abojt Salinger or Gabriel Garcia Marquez as well. Not saying Kanye West is a talent of that magnitude, but he could be. I really think it's time for the world to stop viewing hip-hop as a trivial and shallow genre. When all you expect out of it is braggadocio, you're closing yourself off to what it could be, and I think Kanye West has proven that the genre is a great deal more complex and fluid and malleable than anyone previously thought possible.

... is all.
Old 01.08.2016, 12:37 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
hey man, opinions are opinions. If you choose to align yourself with Kanye in any manner that is on you. Enjoy his tunes, praise him all you want.

I hate the dude's music. I HATE IT. It grates on my nerves just like a lot of different musicians. Both him and Jay-Z make what I feel are boring songs, boring beats, boring ass samples, boring ideas, boring everything. It is what it is.

I love plenty of stuff that many hate vehemently. it comes with the territory of musical fandom.

I have a deep emotional connection to Sonic Youth but I completely understand when others call it shit.
Old 01.08.2016, 01:20 PM   #44
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
@Sev

GOOD Fridays are back today. SWISH is coming out really really soon.

https://twitter.com/kimkardashian/st...53669286440960
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2016, 02:52 PM   #45
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
And the first song is OUT! https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/rea...-in-la-snipped

Old 01.08.2016, 06:49 PM   #46
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

HOLY SHIT DUDE!

It's fucking hot!

Oh but dat beat doe!
Old 01.08.2016, 06:49 PM   #47
Severian
invito al cielo

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to louder again.
Old 01.08.2016, 08:37 PM   #48
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
hey man, opinions are opinions. If you choose to align yourself with Kanye in any manner that is on you. Enjoy his tunes, praise him all you want.

I hate the dude's music. I HATE IT. It grates on my nerves just like a lot of different musicians. Both him and Jay-Z make what I feel are boring songs, boring beats, boring ass samples, boring ideas, boring everything. It is what it is.

I love plenty of stuff that many hate vehemently. it comes with the territory of musical fandom.

I have a deep emotional connection to Sonic Youth but I completely understand when others call it shit.

Well, I can't argue with that. If you don't like it you don't like it and that's cool. I don't think as an artist he's really comparable with Jay Z (who I love, and who's an excellent rapper, but very much "just a rapper" all the same), but I can't think of anyone better to compare him to, so whatevs.

And yes, I too can totally understand why nobody ever thanks me for putting Sonic Youth on. Well, my girlfriend loves them, but I mostly listen to them by myself. If someone told me they sucked I'd probably think they had very limited imaginations and very set ideas of what music "should" sound like. I'd pity them a bit, but I would understand.
Old 01.09.2016, 12:36 PM   #49
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
HOLY SHIT DUDE!

It's fucking hot!

Oh but dat beat doe!
Yes bro!! "Real Friends" is incredible for real, it's pretty much Kanye's take on DOOM's "Deep Fried Frenz" (content wise), musically/production wise though it kinda gives me Graduation vibes and I heard that Havoc, fucking HAVOC did the drums.. it's more substantial and emotional than what we've heard from Ye in the last few months (infinitely better than that Jumpman remix that he dropped last week), Ty Dolla $ign did his thing with the background vocals too.. I LOVE IT. And that snippet at the end of a song featuring Kendrick over a Madlib beat?? JESUS CHRIST.

We're getting the album in a month: https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/685648008856260608
And a new song every Friday from now on.. I'm just... sdfiksdfjkdsa. So overwhelmed. So excited. This album is gonna be a masterpiece.

(But yeah, I really hope he's gonna change the title as well.)
Old 01.09.2016, 12:49 PM   #50
louder
invito al cielo

I told y'all that TPAB will be a masterpiece and that's exactly what it was. And I'm telling you the same thing about Kanye's next one too. It'll be monumental. I can bet my life on it.
Old 01.09.2016, 12:59 PM   #51
Severian
invito al cielo

I think "only one" and "four-five seconds" are great, but this new joint sounds like REAL Kanye. I kinda hope those tracks stay off the album... I'm pretty sure they will. FFS will go on the Rhianna album, "Only One" is great fodder for a singles comp, but this is the first time I've thought "Oh, he's actually worked on this" in a long time.

Yeah, that sample is excellent. I've kinda fallen off the Ty$ wagon as far as his solo releases go, but the man can produce. That sample is "perfectly Kanye", but in kind of a new way. Still, I could tell how it was going to resolve before it actually did.

I think it reminds you of Graduation because, let's face it, this is the first time we've heard Kanye use a looped beat and vocal sample for the entirety of a song without some crunching chorus to interrupt it (Bound 2), or several different time changes (Power) since.... well, since Graduation, which was built on top-shelf redundant loops.

And yeah, that snippet at the end was wild. I need to listen again, but I heard echoes of that Ghostface Sample from "New God Flow" which was immensely satisfying for some reason. Like, he's back motherfuckers!
Old 01.09.2016, 01:03 PM   #52
Severian
invito al cielo

Did you notice that he says he's got a son on the way in "Real Friends"? Kinda makes me think he's going to fiddle with the track more, since I can't see him releasing a new album (which is going to be a big fucking deal no matter what) with outdated information. He'll probably update that line, at the very least.

But we know that's par for the course with GOOD Friday singles. They're pilot tests. Closer to being finished that the demo-quality material he dropped in 2015, but still ... we know he could still do some fiddling.
Old 01.09.2016, 01:09 PM   #53
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I told y'all that TPAB will be a masterpiece and that's exactly what it was. And I'm telling you the same thing about Kanye's next one too. It'll be monumental. I can bet my life on it.

Man, I can't talk about TPAB anymore. Through no fault of Kendrick's, that album has been pounded into my brain by every goddamn website, blog, magazine and media outlet in the world, and I'm just done with it for now. I mean christ, I actually like it less because it's been plastered all over everything for so goddamn long.

I need to forget that album exists for a while so I can listen to it again, because honestly I miss it. I've been playing good kid a lot lately because it's not as tainted. But I swear if I read one more editorial about TPAB and its "immeasurable" social significance, I'm going to barf out of my ass.

Sorry man, I just need to take a breather.
Old 01.09.2016, 02:15 PM   #54
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Man, I can't talk about TPAB anymore. Through no fault of Kendrick's, that album has been pounded into my brain by every goddamn website, blog, magazine and media outlet in the world, and I'm just done with it for now. I mean christ, I actually like it less because it's been plastered all over everything for so goddamn long.

I need to forget that album exists for a while so I can listen to it again, because honestly I miss it. I've been playing good kid a lot lately because it's not as tainted. But I swear if I read one more editorial about TPAB and its "immeasurable" social significance, I'm going to barf out of my ass.

Sorry man, I just need to take a breather.
I know (it deserved all the praise in my opinion too). But I didn't mean to start another conversation about TPAB at all, don't get me wrong.. I just used it as evidence so y'all can see that I don't just go around and tell that a certain album will be a masterpiece just out of spite, or for no reason.. I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 01.09.2016, 02:17 PM   #55
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Did you notice that he says he's got a son on the way in "Real Friends"? Kinda makes me think he's going to fiddle with the track more, since I can't see him releasing a new album (which is going to be a big fucking deal no matter what) with outdated information. He'll probably update that line, at the very least.

But we know that's par for the course with GOOD Friday singles. They're pilot tests. Closer to being finished that the demo-quality material he dropped in 2015, but still ... we know he could still do some fiddling.
Good call. I mean we still got a few more GOOD Friday tracks on the way and we don't know which one of those will make it to the album yet.. but if Real Friends won't, it's already very telling about the level of the album.
Old 01.09.2016, 02:18 PM   #56
louder
invito al cielo

I'm wondering if any of the unreleased Kanye x McCartney collabs will make it. I remember how hyped we all were for that just a year ago.
Old 01.09.2016, 02:25 PM   #57
louder
invito al cielo

My favorite cut from Rodeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppqoILwgYZY

Was previously reported to be a collab between Kanye and McCartney but then he decided to give it to Travis. The intensity in Kanye's delivery and rock elements here are so good. Hope he can give us some more of that on SWISH(?).
Old 01.09.2016, 04:15 PM   #58
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
def sounds like Hav did the drums. No surprises. That's one of the most slept on producers in hip hop in my opinion. His drums on "Americaz Nightmare" and "Taking You Off Here" are prime examples of this kind of shit.
Old 01.10.2016, 02:09 AM   #59
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I know (it deserved all the praise in my opinion too). But I didn't mean to start another conversation about TPAB at all, don't get me wrong.. I just used it as evidence so y'all can see that I don't just go around and tell that a certain album will be a masterpiece just out of spite, or for no reason.. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Yeah I know. Remember when I was nervous about Yeezus after hearing about the length of the album and (allegedly) unused material? I was quite worried, but you knew it was going to blow everything away from the word go.
Old 01.11.2016, 11:06 AM   #60
louder
invito al cielo

Bowie's final album was influenced by Kendrick.. how amazing is that?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/1...-james-murphy/
53103 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth