Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Early Listen to new Flaming Lips album Embryonic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.09.2009, 01:24 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Im a big fan of the flaming lips but have been less and less enthusiastic with their works ever since they went in that synth pop direction. Their prime days will always be the first half of the 90s (bring back ronald jones) with their wild blend acid noise melodies that destroyed heads. They've promised their new double album will be of a different style with them spreading out musically and when u buy a tix for their tour they give you a little sample of the album which is below.

Convinced of the hex is great, more willfully noisy than theyve cared to be in a while and has a cool krautrock vibe to it. The impulse sounds like filler ambient music with annoying electronic vocals.Silver Trembling Hands steals that electro beat from frankie teardrop, starts soundng like something off the last lp but the chorus has a laidback jazz feel.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X9JMFTHZ

enjoy the tracks
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
I fucken love this album! Love the new "direction", Wayne's voice, and the very understated songwriting here......it just all blends so magnificently.....

FUCK IT.....it their best one ever!!!

The production is magnificent. There's so much going on, and yet it sounds "garagey" a lot. It's beautiful.
Old 10.25.2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Muthafuckers, why aren't you all doing cartwheels over this Masterpiece?

I can't believe the Lips had the balls to come up with this, after the last 3 "song oriented" albums.
Old 10.25.2009, 09:47 PM   #4
exploding plastic candle
children of satan

exploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard sucka
Every time I go to listen to this album I just end up listening to Clouds Taste Metallic instead. Embryonic's an undertaking that I don't feel like beginning right now.
Let's bathe in a cup of dreams and share in a saucy toast
exploding plastic candle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 01:17 AM   #5
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
SOmethin' different. I'll take it. I've only given it one listen so far.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 06:53 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Only album I really like by them aside from Clouds.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 10:27 AM   #7
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I better pick this up soon. I love love love In A Priest Driven Ambulance and Transmissions From The Satellite Heart, but have just never really been able to click with their latter day Soft Bulletin material. If this is the reinvention I've been hoping for though then...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 12:14 PM   #8
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm, perhaps I should give it a chance. I've never really liked them, but whatever.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 12:15 PM   #9
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
I've never been a big fan either, but this album has some killer tracks. Definitely one of the better things I've heard from them.
Old 10.26.2009, 12:16 PM   #10
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCarlson
Hmm, perhaps I should give it a chance. I've never really liked them, but whatever.

Which side of them have you never really liked? Because I'd always thought that they were hugely overrated because I'd only heard The Soft Bulletin, which I still don't get how people can possibly gush over so much, but then years later I heard their early stuff and instantly loved it...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 10.26.2009, 01:04 PM   #11
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Which side of them have you never really liked?

Hmm let's see, I've only heard The Soft Bulletin, At War With The Mystics and Yoshimi. Their later stuff, in other words. I can't really say that I didn't like them, but I didn't feel "this is good" either.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 03:25 PM   #12
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
funny how no one paid attention to this thread when i originally made it but now theres a lot of johnny come latelys who are praising it.

Speaking as a huge flips fan who loved their 90s acid noise pop stuff i was realy disappointed the past few records and the whole synthy direction. Embryonic is an amazingly dense record though. Upon first listen i gleefully screamed "the flaming lips are weird again, thank god". The record came out of jam sessions which should already give you a hint that it'll be great. It has a real krautrock 70s freakout vibe to it which i love and am proud to see wayne so clearly endorse. This mixed with the weirder side of electronics makes this a bizarre masterpiece that'll you keep coming back to and discovering more with each listen.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 05:40 PM   #13
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCarlson
Hmm let's see, I've only heard The Soft Bulletin, At War With The Mystics and Yoshimi. Their later stuff, in other words. I can't really say that I didn't like them, but I didn't feel "this is good" either.

Check out Transmissions then. It's the album that made me love them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1erUNjFfZI
Old 10.26.2009, 07:13 PM   #14
el duderino
bad moon rising

el duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's asses
I like Embryonic and pleased they are now "wierd again" but I think some people are so over the moon at the change in direction / obscure german 70's art rock references that its blinding them to some of the obvious flaws of the record like,...WHERE ARE THE HOOKS!!

I got into the lips in a big way when Clouds came out and to my ears its never been beaten. Amazing and ridiculously catchy melodies backed by genuinely extra terrestial sounds and drug addled wierdness.

You dont need hooks for a great record and Embryonic is really good, but damn the flaming lips are the modern kings of huge melodies. To me it needs 3 or 4 massive tunes like "Pompeii am Götterdämmerung" or "Lightening Strikes the Postman" to hang the rest of the album on bfore it becomes this masterpiece that everyone is sayin it is.
el duderino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 07:53 PM   #15
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Check out Transmissions then. It's the album that made me love them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1erUNjFfZI
yessssssss.

transmissions is the only album of theirs that has anything on it that i really like. their modern stuff promises something, y'know, epic but ends up being underwhelming (imo.)
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 08:37 PM   #16
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
this is my favorite album from them in a really long time. since at least soft bulletin
Old 10.26.2009, 08:42 PM   #17
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
At War With The Mystics was such an absolutely shit album that I can hardly believe this would be any good. I had already washed my hands of them. Eh, I care even less about being a hypocrite about music, so I'll give it a listen.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 09:19 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This is nothing like Mystics, Yoshimi, the Shit Bulletin, or Zareeka. In fact, it's nothing like anything they've done. Highly reccomended!!

Old 10.26.2009, 11:58 PM   #19
exploding plastic candle
children of satan

exploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard sucka
Everyone always talks about transmissions as being the only thing they like by the lips. Clouds Taste Metallic is like its crazy big brother album. I don't see how you can love one without loving the other. And in my opinion clouds is even better.
Let's bathe in a cup of dreams and share in a saucy toast
exploding plastic candle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2009, 12:00 AM   #20
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

The video they made for this ("I Can Be A Frog") is amazing, btw. One of the worst songs on the album but the video is mindblowing, look it up.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth