Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page At war with the mystics
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.13.2006, 12:53 PM   #1
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
What do you lot think? I really like it. I havnt listened to the recent flaming lips records like The soft bulletin, or Yoshimi, so i cant really compare it to those more recent records. But this has really impressed me. Yeah yeah yeah does get a bit irritating, but i really love stuff like Free Radicals, The sound of failure, Vein of stars, The W.A.N.D, It overtakes me. But probably my favorite is Havnt got a clue, or The sound of Failure. Its really REALLY dancy and groovey, and much more radio friendly than stuff like Telepathic Surgery, Priest driven ambulance, and Hit to death in the future head, much less distortion and acidic reverb. Im really into this album though. Nowhere near as good as Oh MY GAAWD!! or Transmissions from the satalite heart (my two favorites). But this is definately a hit for me. Are the previous two albums as good as this one??????
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 01:05 PM   #2
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
The Yeah Yeah Yeah song nearly turned me off on the entire record. It sounds like David Byrne doing the soundtrack to a Disney movie, or something (as does the Free Radicals song).
I like The Wizard Turns On....and that's about it.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I hated Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi, etc. Way too symphonic and sickly sweet for me. The new one has more than a few tracks I like though, and I am glad of it. I was happy for their massive success, but I didn't think I was ever going to enjoy one of their albums again. Glad to be proven wrong.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 02:35 PM   #4
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
I absolutely LOVE that entire album with the exception of the Yeah Yeah Yeah song. It's got SO much good shit on it, Free Radicals, Sound of Failure, Cosmic Autumn rebellion, Vein of stars, Wizard Turns on, Goin on, It overtakes me. I few months ago when it was really starry out, I smoked some weed and took a walk with that album playing on my headphones, bliss. Yes the Yeah yeah yeah song sucks but the intro is AMAZING live.

Lots of people are turned off by Free Radicals, which I think is an awesome, bugged out song. I love the weird synthisized voices that keep popping up, woaaaaah, you oughta change your mind, YES!

but yeah that album is awesome, I've always loved the Lips. Can't wait to see them with Sonic Youth in Ohio
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 03:13 PM   #5
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
THE FLAMING LIPS ROCK!!!!!!!, im a huge huge huge fan!!!!!!!!, the new album is fantastic!!!, i havent stopped listeneing to it since it came out, the were fantastic when i saw them in april, its definately up on the same level and Yoshimi and the soft bulletin.

alot of people i know wont buy the new album just because they dont like the yeah yeah yeah song and they think the whole of the rest of the album is going to be like that, its not!!, Mr Ambulance Driver and Vein of stars are my favourite songs at the moment!, theya re so sweet, Steven's vocals on mr ambulance driver are just perfect! its such a heart felt album, it really is lovely.

im going to see them again in november!!!
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 03:29 PM   #6
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i like the yeah yeah yeah song, but the i think the rest of the album is garbage.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 03:40 PM   #7
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
i like the yeah yeah yeah song, but the i think the rest of the album is garbage.

Old 07.13.2006, 04:13 PM   #8
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with y'all pretty much about the YYY's song.....Jesus. That really spoils the album for me right there. Is that a talk box Steven is using? I don't know, it just seemed like they tried to hard to add a bunch of crap to it. "With all yr power"......whatever. Free Radicals...not really feelin' that one either. There are some realllly good songs on there even though I think they might drag on a little bit. I think I might be one of the few on here who loves Yoshimi....that shit was pretty epic minus "Do You Realize." Such a heartbreaking and beautiful album.
Old 07.13.2006, 04:18 PM   #9
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Wayne Coyne's comments about the yeah yeah yeah song
"Steven had been recording in a separate vocal booth on his computer and I walked by and heard the crazy grouped vocals doing the "yeah yeah yeah" part and I was immediately hooked. This is one of those songs that points the finger at the pettiness of those in power but also points the finger back at ourselves - what would YOU do? Power in the hands of the inexperienced (which is what we would be) is very dangerous..."

i actually really like it!
Old 07.13.2006, 05:05 PM   #10
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I just put the album on again.....I've listened to it over 10 times and it is still lacking something for me. My favorites are The Sound of Failure, The Wizard Turns On, and Pompeii......you can't not think of Pink Floyd when hearing the Wizard Turns On I think.
Old 07.13.2006, 05:27 PM   #11
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I just put the album on again.....I've listened to it over 10 times and it is still lacking something for me. My favorites are The Sound of Failure, The Wizard Turns On, and Pompeii......you can't not think of Pink Floyd when hearing the Wizard Turns On I think.

dont you like 'vein of stars' or 'mr ambulence driver'??????, they are the best!!!!!
Old 07.13.2006, 05:32 PM   #12
habibtheantiamericanbitch
bad moon rising

habibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard sucka
i'm actually more into this record than 'RR'...... i love the YYY song and Free Radicals and everything else. of course if they have been getting obnoxious airplay, i don't know about it. i smashed my radio a long time ago. the Ramones suggested it and it was a good idea. Can't wait to see two of my faves on the same stage next month!!! of course i wish SY were heading......
habibtheantiamericanbitch is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 05:43 PM   #13
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibtheantiamericanbitch
i'm actually more into this record than 'RR'...... i love the YYY song and Free Radicals and everything else.

whispers - totally agreed
Old 07.13.2006, 05:50 PM   #14
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
The Soft Bulletin>Yoshimi>At War With The Mystics

I think. It is hard to order the last two. At the moment I like ATWWTM more but Yoshimi is still better. Its good and fun to listen to.
Old 07.13.2006, 05:56 PM   #15
screamingskull
invito al cielo

do you like the older grungyer stuff?, i recently got 'hit to death in the future head' and loved it!!!!!!!!!, if you havent already got them 'transmissions from the satellite heart' and 'clouds tate metalic' they are just unbelievebly great!
i also like 'mountain side' and 'rainin babies' the bass on rainin babies is superb!
Old 07.13.2006, 06:00 PM   #16
screamingskull
invito al cielo

i prefer 'this here giraffe' to 'she dont use jelly'
Old 07.13.2006, 06:04 PM   #17
foldback
bad moon rising

foldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to all
This is probably my favorite album of the year. "The Sound of Failure," "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion," "Mr. Ambulance Driver," there feels like 1,000 reasons why this might end up topping my "Albums of 2006" list.

Like SY, the Flaming Lips frighten me, in that they've been doing their thing for more than 20 years and are still as vital and creative as ever.

Rock on, Wayne and Steve.
foldback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 06:09 PM   #18
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback
This is probably my favorite album of the year. "The Sound of Failure," "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion," "Mr. Ambulance Driver," there feels like 1,000 reasons why this might end up topping my "Albums of 2006" list.

Like SY, the Flaming Lips frighten me, in that they've been doing their thing for more than 20 years and are still as vital and creative as ever.

Rock on, Wayne and Steve.

AND MICHAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevens the freaking geneious! add that to waynes awesomeness you have a fucking great band a supergroup!, its a shame Ronald left, as that guy from the butthole surfers said in their fearless freaks documentary when asked
Q. whats Waynes biggest asset?
A. STEVEN!
Old 07.13.2006, 06:16 PM   #19
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
do you like the older grungyer stuff?, i recently got 'hit to death in the future head' and loved it!!!!!!!!!, if you havent already got them 'transmissions from the satellite heart' and 'clouds tate metalic' they are just unbelievebly great!
i also like 'mountain side' and 'rainin babies' the bass on rainin babies is superb!
I have everything from Hit To Death till At War With The Mystics, and I really love it all. It is all great. Zaireeka, too. Don't have anything before those yet. What would you reccomend?
Old 07.13.2006, 06:18 PM   #20
screamingskull
invito al cielo

in a preist driven ambulence is fantastic, and Oh My Gawd is great!!!, its so strange to listen to their older stuff then their newer stuff after, its so completely different, all great but different.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth