Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Z-Rock Hawaii: Ween & the Boredoms
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.24.2008, 07:54 PM   #41
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
super_charger is the new king of comedy.

co-sign.

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2008, 08:43 PM   #42
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
who knew Ween could create such a rift?

it's so true that you either love them or hate them... i just don't understand why people feel it necessary to tell us over and over again that they hate them, but it is amusing.

very interesting that atsonicpark finds the Pod the most tolerable of the albums, that's the one I just can't stomach - a few good songs but mostly just the product of glue sniffing.

Chocolate and Cheese? eh... it's not my favorite either, but you can't beat the live version of Spinal Meningitis.

I think Quebec is hands down their strongest album. godWEENsatan is an album everyone should listen to at least once. I also think it's great that the band that wrote "Pork Roll Egg and Cheese" and "Poopship Destroyer" also went to Nashville to record an entire country album with some of the great artists from the Nashville country scene.

They absolutely do have the gift for songwriting like Lennon and McCartney - and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Ween is better than the Beatles - but I think they understand pop music the same way. The opening song (Exactly Where I'm At) on White Pepper - their homage to the two beatles albums that clearly inspired their work - is a perfect example of how these guys understand what it takes to make great pop music. It's just that the Beatles never had songs about mutant invasions, mollusks, dying ponies, or speed-driven gangbangs - so people find it easier to listen to them.
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2008, 08:50 PM   #43
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
it is amusing........ because they suck soooooooooooooooooo much.
bwahahahahahahahahaha

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2008, 09:04 PM   #44
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
i think you're a closet Ween fan.

it's ok to admit it, we're all friends here.
Old 02.24.2008, 09:13 PM   #45
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, shit, I actually meant the mollusk, not sure why I said the pod (probably because I was listening to breeders - pod earlier).

But pod isn't TERRIBLE.. just.. I dunno.

Like I said, I can't deny.. they're talented as fuck songwriters... they just don't make music that appeals to me. I mean, Dave Matthews is talented as hell, but .. it's the same thing there.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2008, 09:14 PM   #46
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"I'LL BE YOUR JOHNNY ON THE SPOT" is better than the entire beatles catalogue though.

Old 02.24.2008, 09:21 PM   #47
nature scene
100%

Quote:
Well, shit, I actually meant the mollusk, not sure why I said the pod (probably because I was listening to breeders - pod earlier).

But pod isn't TERRIBLE.. just.. I dunno.

Like I said, I can't deny.. they're talented as fuck songwriters... they just don't make music that appeals to me. I mean, Dave Matthews is talented as hell, but .. it's the same thing there.

the mollusk... that makes a lot more sense to me, and i absolutely understand that Ween makes music that doesn't appeal to some/a lot of people. everyone has their own tastes.

Quote:
"I'LL BE YOUR JOHNNY ON THE SPOT" is better than the entire beatles catalogue though.

no doubt.

I'll be your johnny on the spot
My daddy died, left me all he's got

I get up early in the morn
I slop the pigs
Momma shucks the corn

I got a Chevy with a Mopar cam
I got a Chevy with a Mopar cam
I got a Chevy with a-Mopar-cam
Old 02.24.2008, 09:33 PM   #48
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

That song's absolutely amazing.

One of the first Ween songs I ever heard. Imagine my shock when not all their material wasn't like that..

I understand their genre-hopping songwriting talent is unparalleled and it seems that part of their aesthetic is alienating their... potential fans.. I'm not alienated, just frustrated, because they could obviously produce some really great music. It just doesn't appeal to me as a whole. But that's okay.

I can see the appeal; they just don't appeal to me.

Old 02.24.2008, 09:38 PM   #49
nature scene
100%

i'm with you on the alienation thing. I like most of their stuff, but they certainly do like to fuck with people, and it often seems like they're trying to sabotage their chances of being one of the great rocks bands in history by releasing some of the material they do.

but i just don't think they give a fuck, and that's cool by me.
Old 02.24.2008, 10:56 PM   #50
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature scene
...godWEENsatan is an album everyone should listen to at least once...

this album is half ok and half nails on chalkboard, the whole time i was thinking that maybe you need to be as stoned on pot as they are to enjoy it.

that song at the end of the spongebob movie is really good, though.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2008, 10:59 PM   #51
nature scene
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
this album is half ok and half nails on chalkboard

i'd say that's spot on. well - half good and half nails on chalkboard.

I think they also did some music on the X-files once.

They did do a song for Pizza Hut, but the song was never used because Pizza Hut fired the agency that hired Ween. It's called "Where'd the Cheese Go?"
Old 02.25.2008, 10:46 AM   #52
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
the z-rock album as a whole sucked, but "the meadow" is one of the greatest songs ever written.

i went through an intense love of ween for years. i still like their songs, but i don't really listen to the albums in full anymore. i think they represent more a time in my life now. one that involved a lot of pot.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2008, 11:02 AM   #53
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
the z-rock album as a whole sucked, but "the meadow" is one of the greatest songs ever written.

i went through an intense love of ween for years. i still like their songs, but i don't really listen to the albums in full anymore. i think they represent more a time in my life now. one that involved a lot of pot.

Oh yeah, remembering you mentioning "the meadow" last time around...
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2008, 05:47 PM   #54
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
I guess I'm one of the few people here that think Ween are pretty great and I'm not usually a fan of "funny" music. Don't think I'll ever need more than the three albums I own though...
Old 02.26.2008, 01:23 PM   #55
cellscape
little trouble girl

cellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to behold
I've always listed Ween as one of my favorite bands. They are definately great song writers and very talented. Plus they put on one of the best live shows right now. I always wondered what a 3 hour 33 song Sonic Youth show would be like with songs from every album. I'm still a bit burned out on them right now. I guess I've just heard their music so many times plus I'm not a big fan of La Cucaracha.

Anyway I agree, EyE didn't help what was already a mediocre album. I think I heard that Ween wrote most of the music, sent him the tape, and got it back with him just screaming through out all the songs. They were pretty dissapointed.
cellscape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2008, 02:34 PM   #56
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

My friend is part of some ween fan club and has something like 100 Ween bootlegs. I never need to hear poopship destroyer again.

Same friend has EVERYTHING FRANK ZAPPA HAS EVER DONE.

Nice guy but..

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth