Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Yr Musical Relationship with Yr Parents?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.31.2009, 04:39 PM   #41
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
My mom likes my band's music, as well as some stuff from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Primarily AOR types of stuff. But, she's more into individual songs than bands. You should see her eyes light up if you talk about Thriller.

My dad is a bit more open-minded, although he tends to like more traditional forms of music- old country (Johnny Cash, Hank Williams), classic rock, classic pop, jazz, that sort of thing. I played Acid Mothers Temple for him once and all he could say is that it was "different". His primary complaint with a lot of "modern" music is that it doesn't "take off"; but by that he really means it doesn't follow the blues-derived I-III-IV structure prevalent in mid-20th century pop/rock.

I can agree with both of them of some stuff (the Beatles, Johnny Cash, the Temptations) better than others (Starship, Hank Williams)...
Old 08.31.2009, 06:05 PM   #42
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
however, I stopped talking to them about music 25 years ago; shortly after they became convinced that I was holding black masses in my bedroom while listening to the fucking smiths.

My parents gave me a hard time about The Smiths too, but it was more along the lines of "You like this mopey, devoid-of-all-subtlety, whiny crap? Really?"

"Yes, Dad. Yes I do. I am fifteen years old."
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 06:16 PM   #43
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
our musical relationship is virtually nonexistant. they still i'm as into the beatles as i was when i was twelve. actually, i think they still think i'm twelve in most respects.

sometimes they come 'round and feign interest in whatever i've got on.

i have a theory that at one point, my dad was cool... but he traded all that in for yanni, neil diamond, and clapton.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 06:33 PM   #44
pinkstation
children of satan

pinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's assespinkstation kicks all y'all's asses
my mom and dad are, and always have been big wilco fans. i never have to buy any of their albums, because they buy them and we just share them.

pinkstation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 06:58 PM   #45
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
once, I came home to find the entire family dressed in black (including the fucking dog).
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 07:01 PM   #46
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
My mom likes the new Polvo album.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 07:04 PM   #47
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
My mom is a Bowie freak. I remember her introducing me to 'rock music' with Space Oddity. Seriously one of my life changing moments.

My dad is a soul man & a Frank Sinatra geek, but he has these 3 GODAWFUL Rod Stewart CDs where its Rod singin old 30s & 40s tunes & it is constantly playing & driving me fucking crazy.

They're pretty tolerant about my shit. Haha even yesterday I feel asleep with Super Ae on & I woke up to my dad scratching his head & saying "this is some strange shit" haha
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 07:14 PM   #48
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
My parents like some of my music. They like some of the electro, house music I play. Also They seem to like DDN.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 07:47 PM   #49
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
My musical relationship with my parents has historically been pretty great actually. I first got into "good music" aged about 15 by raiding my dad's old vinyls and the family CDs over a few afternoons and digging out anything that looked interesting. The records that stuck at the time were Kind of Blue, Pink Moon, Solid Air, After The Goldrush and Transformer. Shortly after that, my father responded to my new interest by buying me Sgt. Peppers, The Last Waltz and a Charlie Parker best of, and that's pretty much the root of my whole music obsession. Also, when I quickly found my way to more left-field stuff, it was dad who told me to buy some Harry Partch, which is totally cool.

After my father died when I was 16 I developed quite a strong musical connection with my mother, which in retrospect I think was partially her way of staying close to me at that time. Since then though I've actually got her into a lot of good stuff I think, expanding on her natural tastes for jazz and blues, and we agree on a lot, even if she doesn't like anything TOO noisy/rock based and can't abide hip-hop at all (or really anything too "electronic"). Whenever we do disagree though I'm jsut glad to have a mother who will come down to the Stone with me if we're visiting famil in New York and sincerely love the experience.

So pretty good, yeah.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 11:01 PM   #50
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
If nothing else, they gave me every reason to appreciate punk rock in the '80s.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2009, 02:19 AM   #51
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
ummm, i'm still really into the music my dad used to put on in the car when i was a kid, especially early primal scream and the kinks, and xtc. but apart from that he listens to alot of prog (urgh) and classical which i don't really know anything about.

my mum isn't really into music apart from george michael, but she used to hate the smiths and now she likes 'em so i guess that's an acheivement. sorry i can't spell.
Old 09.01.2009, 06:14 AM   #52
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I'd say mine is quite good for a teenager. I share some things with my dad, such as The Smiths, Nick Cave (though I'm more into The Birthday Party, while he prefers the Bad Seeds), The Byrds, Ed Kuepper, plus there's the box set of Classical music that I stole from him. The only real common ground with my mum is the Sex Pistols - she likes stuff like the Bay City Rollers, and lots of pop music from the 70s and 80s (stuff I'm not normally into), but she also loves Never Mind the Bollocks.
Even when my parents don't like what I like, they at least appreciate that I'm not listening to the more typical teenager music. I can remember listening to Einstuerzende Neubauten's Halber Mensch in the car with my dad, and he thought it was something you wouldn't listen to for enjoyment.
However, my parents don't understand why I listen to a few things - black metal ("it's just horrible noise that all sounds the same") and Malice Mizer (a Japanese visual kei neo-classical band that they think is Latin pop).
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2009, 06:34 AM   #53
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
gmku, that sounds exactly like MY pops.. dude, are you my brother?

It's gotten worse. He's in the tanker for selling heroin downtown. He's also trying to wear metal bits in his hair like Keith Richards only it doesn't work for him because he's almost bald!
Old 09.15.2009, 05:14 AM   #54
Aaaadrpk
bad moon rising

Aaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's asses
My mother always listening rock and MPB (popular brazilian music, like a Tom Jobom etc ), when I was a child The Wall (Pink Floyd) thats the sound makes her, ever played in my home...
My father, Deep Purple and Beatles songs and MPB too... the first cd's that I bought,... Black Sabbath - Reunion, after, Nirvana-Nevermind... and in that time I go crazy with Ozzy, and after Kurt, I had 12 years old..
when I showed Sonic Youth for my Mom, she liked...Drunken Butterfly she said 'funny'

Aaaadrpk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2009, 05:30 AM   #55
Aaaadrpk
bad moon rising

Aaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
my mom has good taste in music....even if its different stuff than what id typically listen to. because of her i have serious respect for marvin gaye. she also listened to lots of OLD rod stewart and madonna when i was a kid. i mean, not some of my fav. choices, but far better than the bon jovi my dad probally would have tried to shove down my throat.

my mom didnt like it when i first started getting into punk rock/etc. she grew acceptive, however, when she realized i had no interest in sacrificing animals in the name of satan.

i love my mom.

Yeah, I have respect for Elton John, my mom like him too, and I like him too! Skyline Pigeon is great music, with a great lyrics,
and I love my mother too =P

Old 09.15.2009, 06:10 AM   #56
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
moms are the best.

im a momma's boy, for sure. there really is some strange internal connection...like, if i hurt she knows it, even though shes hundreds of miles away. she knows cause she'll hurt too. and if im happy...she is. such a strange thing.

one of my biggest fears is having to (maybe) one day deal w/ the death of my mother. ill go fuckin' crazy.

You heard this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2009, 06:23 AM   #57
Aaaadrpk
bad moon rising

Quote:
moms are the best.

im a momma's boy, for sure. there really is some strange internal connection...like, if i hurt she knows it, even though shes hundreds of miles away. she knows cause she'll hurt too. and if im happy...she is. such a strange thing.

one of my biggest fears is having to (maybe) one day deal w/ the death of my mother. ill go fuckin' crazy.

I have this fear too.
now I remember Mother (pink floyd) very emotional song. Beautiful and pretty quite.
yep, moms are the best (in my opinium too)
save the moms \o/

Old 09.15.2009, 08:10 AM   #58
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Mom dug stuff like Dean Martin, Tom Jones and Fank Sinatra. Dad more of a country western which explains why he dug the Eagles when he saw them on the boob-tube.

It's more of the relationship between me and my kids (ages 24, 22 and 17). The oldest two like some of the classic rock I turned them on to. They love all the punk
and Alt rock I turned them onto. I gave them SY, Pixies
Rage, Concrete Blonde and some others. They turned me onto Biggy, Wu Tang, Motorcycle Gang, My Bloody Valentine, Block Party, moby...

Basically I can get into my kid's car or they can get into mine and neither of us wants to change the music....

Also I gave to them College Radio as oppose to the shit that is fm/am radio.
Old 09.15.2009, 08:30 AM   #59
東京親父ギャグ研究所
little trouble girl

東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses東京親父ギャグ研究所 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

My momma's alive and well, but this song gets me hard every time.

This one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3UaiDH_XE&feature=fvw
東京親父ギャグ研究所 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2009, 08:34 AM   #60
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
moms are the best.

My momma died when I was 18. It sucked ass. Ovarian cancer. I'm convinced I will die of the same disease. She died when she was 42 so I have 11 years left. The worst part of it was watching her die. Knowing that it was coming to take her any minute and waiting. She was in terrible pain so when she died it was kind of a relief which brought me terrible guilt over the years. Anyway..it sucks.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth