Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 2009 Set Lists -- POST HERE!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.18.2009, 11:06 AM   #201
youphoric
empty page

youphoric has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Looking through this thread, it looks like they haven't been playing any Sonic Nurse? Dunno how the veteran fans feel, but this was the album that really pulled me to the band. Still love love love it.
youphoric is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2009, 11:40 AM   #202
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by youphoric
Looking through this thread, it looks like they haven't been playing any Sonic Nurse? Dunno how the veteran fans feel, but this was the album that really pulled me to the band. Still love love love it.

Yup I'm on overkill mode with the super oldies. It's all good, but I'd much prefer they stick with the recent past a little more instead of brand new and super old.
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2009, 04:27 PM   #203
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by youphoric

great record, but jim o'rourke was pretty firmly encoded in the DNA of that one... they were doing 'pattern recognition' on the rather ripped tour (quite well!) but jim played bass on that one so mark can replace him. then again they also did 'stones' which was a jim guitar song (and his part was kind of crucial to the song!) so i wonder how that was sounding...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2009, 04:34 PM   #204
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
It's like wishing "Rain on Tin" would come back and then you remember, "Oh
yeah, O'Rourke's gone."
Old 07.18.2009, 06:16 PM   #205
youphoric
empty page

youphoric has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
great record, but jim o'rourke was pretty firmly encoded in the DNA of that one...

that explains it. ahh well. maybe one day...
youphoric is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2009, 10:54 PM   #206
Leetdude
little trouble girl

Leetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite SY record is DDN, but my second and third favorites are Sonic Nurse and Murray Street, and it sucks that I'll never get to see a lot of those tracks live. =/ Someday it could happen...
Leetdude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2009, 11:32 PM   #207
tonywellington
empty page

tonywellington has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothropian
It was my first time seeing them too, and I absolutely loved it.

You should have known going in they were going to play a lot of The Eternal. That's what the tour is called, for Christ's sake.

And the songs they did play that were pre-Eternal are incredible songs by their own merit, made even better by the live performance of each.

Your complaints are stupid.

No offense, but comments like this are so tired and really stink of hipster crap. Sonic Youth are welcome to play what they want and that they choose their own path is awesome. Fans are also welcome to like setlists as they personally want to. Don't tell me or anyone else how to like the band. The die hard "only I know how to like SY and the only way is to like exactly what they do every night" is dull. Surely I need not like everything that SY does to be a fan.
tonywellington is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 02:35 AM   #208
JTS
empty page

JTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's asses
kcmo 7/19 Uptown Theatre

all eternal minus thunderclap
tom violence
silver rocket

encore 1
the wonder
hyperstation

encore 2
what we know
PCH

good show but stl was way cool. outdoor venue on the river and dv69? kick ass!
JTS is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 02:40 AM   #209
JTS
empty page

JTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's assesJTS kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS
kcmo 7/19 Uptown Theatre

all eternal minus thunderclap
tom violence
silver rocket

encore 1
the wonder
hyperstation

encore 2
what we know
PCH

good show but stl was way cool. outdoor venue on the river and dv69? kick ass!

white cross too almost forgot that one
JTS is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 05:03 AM   #210
Joey Walker
empty page

Joey Walker has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I was at the St. Louis show way early, like 5 hours before, and I got to catch Sonic Youth soundcheck. Anyhow, they checked with Antenna, Sacred Trickster, and a song that Lee sang, but I'm not quite sure what it was off of the top of my head. Also, Lee placed a sheet of paper on his amp that said "Theresa's Sound World", but then took it off, which led me to believe that they were going to play TSW that night, but they didn't. It got my hopes up heh, as Dirty is my favorite album of theirs, and I would have loved to have heard something off of it. Maybe they will be playing TSW on the tour?
Joey Walker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 05:27 AM   #211
stvpttrsn
empty page

stvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant futurestvpttrsn has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Walker
I was at the St. Louis show way early, like 5 hours before, and I got to catch Sonic Youth soundcheck. Anyhow, they checked with Antenna, Sacred Trickster, and a song that Lee sang, but I'm not quite sure what it was off of the top of my head. Also, Lee placed a sheet of paper on his amp that said "Theresa's Sound World", but then took it off, which led me to believe that they were going to play TSW that night, but they didn't. It got my hopes up heh, as Dirty is my favorite album of theirs, and I would have loved to have heard something off of it. Maybe they will be playing TSW on the tour?

...someone in Tulsa was holding up that TSW piece of paper and gave it to Lee when they came back out for encore...he taped it onto his amp, but that wasn't played...
stvpttrsn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 06:13 AM   #212
Joey Walker
empty page

Joey Walker has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Oh I see. He switched it from his Super Reverb, to his smaller amp, but then just took it off altogether. Thank you for the info.
Joey Walker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 09:38 AM   #213
sksc
empty page

sksc kicks all y'all's assessksc kicks all y'all's assessksc kicks all y'all's assessksc kicks all y'all's assessksc kicks all y'all's assessksc kicks all y'all's assessksc kicks all y'all's assessksc kicks all y'all's assessksc kicks all y'all's assessksc kicks all y'all's assessksc kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic youth In Concert : NPR Music
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106222765

Podcast
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...0&id=267972899
sksc is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 10:47 AM   #214
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvpttrsn
...someone in Tulsa was holding up that TSW piece of paper and gave it to Lee when they came back out for encore...he taped it onto his amp, but that wasn't played...

Ya, like he said, that sign (piece of paper) came from some Tulsa fan holding it up during the show. I distinctly remember Lee mouthing to him "we're working on it" as he was handing it to him, which I just kinda assumed was his way of saying, "ain't gonna happen tonight, buddy..." But he did tape it to the amp that night. I am kinda interested in the fact that they have held onto it, and are taping it up during sound checks though. maybe they are actually "working on it"...and holy hell I will have to make a long trek somewhere to see it!!
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 03:29 PM   #215
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sksc

I can't open the podcast ;/

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 04:05 PM   #216
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

mattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's asses
The Wonder and Hyperstation? holy shit!

mattmacneil is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 09:24 PM   #217
BoughtTheFarm
empty page

BoughtTheFarm has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Nashville 7-11-09

Sacred Trickster
No Way
Calming The Snake
Silver Rocket
Leaky Life Boat
Antenna
Gas Station
The Sprawl
Anti-Orgasm
Poison Arrow
Walkin Blue
Massage The History
White Kross
--------------------------
Shadow of a Doubt
PCH
--------------------------
What We Know
Death Valley '69

This was my 11th show. Pretty killer. Anyone record this one???
BoughtTheFarm is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 09:34 PM   #218
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
No recordings seem to be out yet, chances are it was recorded though.
Old 07.19.2009, 10:10 PM   #219
rocky
bad moon rising

rocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's asses
Wonder/Hyperstation encore must have been really exciting.
I enjoy the way they have done that with The Sprawl and Cross the Breeze as well --- "on paper" at least, I have been to one show in 2004 and haven't made it back yet. :0

PS: Fully advocating some sort of Schizophrenia/Catholic Block pairing
Old 07.19.2009, 10:25 PM   #220
Leetdude
little trouble girl

Leetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
I enjoy the way they have done that with The Sprawl and Cross the Breeze as well --- "on paper" at least

Yeah, this was pretty sweet. Would've loved to see The Wonder/Hyperstation.
Leetdude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth