Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Reassessing Murray Street
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.29.2009, 03:25 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Background Info:
So I got into SY back in 2002, I had heard Evol, Sister and Goo and loved them all. It was a whole new kind of excitement discovering a band this different. I happened to pick up a magazine and noticed SY had a new album coming out Murray St, so i bought it and was severely disappointed when i heard it. Where were the noise assaults on my ears leading me off the cliff of a mountain. I dug a few songs on there that had prominent noise parts like "rain on tin", "karen revisted" and "radical adults" but overall the album was too mellow for me. The album collected dust and was only played when i needed something soothing to sleep to.

Flash forward 6 years later, I play it again and am absolutely knocked back by it. Is this the same album? My ears originally went directly for the most obvious sound and was completely ignorant of the noisy chaos lying right underneath the more calm guitars. The raw whirling distorted buildup on 'the empty page", the ghostly feedback in the bkgrd of "radical adults", the slumber like lunges of distortion in "dsiconnection notice and the drone noise outro to "Karen revisted" has only gotten better. I totally understand the comparisons to DDN (which i had before scoffed at) considering all the wild changeups like the epic part of "Rain on Tin".That whole song now sounds like a modern sy classic like "pattern recognition" or "the unmade bed". Its great to get a whole new appreciation for an album like this. This might even be better than Sonic Nurse, I'll have to play that one again next.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 03:27 PM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
MURRAY ST is one of my handful of favorite SY albums. Like part of the best of the best. Up there with EVOL and CONFUSION for me. Love it.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 03:30 PM   #3
al shabbray

still this one and daydream nation are my favourite SY albums.
I cant nail it down exactly why this makes it that high in my ranking. but everything about it is perfect for my taste.
karen revisited is one of my all time favourite songs, sympathy for the strawberry is just fuckin perfect, rain on tins build up is perfect, the empty pages melody and the resulting short outburst is awesome. radical adults got one beast of a riff plus totally insane sax players which opening hell soundwise, nice idea to let somebody else make the noise. plastic sun is good as it is, short and disconnection notice`swelling guitar sound enhances the "not best" song on the album pretty well.
and I totally adore the cover!!!
nailed down
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 03:57 PM   #4
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed, Al. There's something wonderfully perfect about every note of this record. Stunning.
Old 01.29.2009, 04:11 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This is the only SY album I've listened to in a good year besides some random songs. Always loved the production and playing on this one. It's perfect, except for "Plastic Sun", which is so short that it's easy to ignore anyway.

How could anyone deny "Rain on Tin"?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:15 PM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

"Sympathy for the Strawberry" is my favorite track. With "Karenology" a close second, and the opening Thurston suite following....
Old 01.29.2009, 04:16 PM   #7
al shabbray

I agree. the production is one of the finest for the yoof and some of the bet by orourke. I am a total junkie for the overall sound of that record.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:17 PM   #8
sarramkrop

'Rain On Tin' is the worst song on that album with 'Plastic Sun'. The rest is good. I don't give a shit about 'the production'.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:22 PM   #9
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
'Rain On Tin' is the worst song on that album with 'Plastic Sun'. The rest is good. I don't give a shit about 'the production'.

Yeah. I don't see why people bring that stuff up. They're well arranged and well written songs and anyone who's good at recording bands- be it Al Sutton, Butch Vig, Steve Albini, or whoever, would record it well.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:25 PM   #10
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
amazing LP. Laid back and very "conscious" at the same time.
I remember very well the day i went out o buy it on release day.
Got back home and rolled a super fat joint.
then hit PLAY
and wow.
that was when leaks did not exist.
Old 01.29.2009, 04:26 PM   #11
noisereductions
invito al cielo

First of all, "Rain On Tin" is amazing. I loved HURRICANE FLOYD when it came out, so I was excited to hear bits of "Choir Boy" seap into "Rain." And the interplay betwixt the guitars in that song are some of the Youth's most impreessive.

And you can try to be all Calvin Johnson and say the 'production' is irrelevent, but it's basically the most important part of Jim's input on MURRAY ST. You can act like a producer/engineer/recorder/whatever doesn't matter, but there IS a certain sound to MURRAY ST, a lot like Jim's influence on Wilco's YANKEE HOTEL FOXTROT.
Old 01.29.2009, 04:26 PM   #12
sarramkrop

It's absurd talking about production when it comes to SY full stop. All their records stem too much from a collective way of imagining how things would sound good in the first place.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:27 PM   #13
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
that was when leaks did not exist.

Strangely enough, MURRAY ST was the first leak I ever encountered! Weird, right?
Old 01.29.2009, 04:29 PM   #14
al shabbray

Quote:
It's absurd talking about production when it comes to SY full stop. All their records stem too much from a collective way of imagining how things would sound good in the first place.

yes but they never sounded that brilliant without sounding overproduced before and after orourke
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:30 PM   #15
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Strangely enough, MURRAY ST was the first leak I ever encountered! Weird, right?
oh maybe then; not for me though.
Old 01.29.2009, 04:32 PM   #16
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Production is important for any band. It's always an intention to reach some kind of focal point, be it lo or hi fi.
Old 01.29.2009, 04:37 PM   #17
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
Production is important for any band. It's always an intention to reach some kind of focal point, be it lo or hi fi.

No it's not. I can't be arsed to write a long post about it because nobody will give a shit 'cause they can't tell a producer from a sound engineer, but you're totally wrong. Self-recorders, imagination and all that spring to mind.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:38 PM   #18
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
First of all, "Rain On Tin" is amazing. I loved HURRICANE FLOYD when it came out, so I was excited to hear bits of "Choir Boy" seap into "Rain.".
had never noticed, will listen to both and compare. Are they similar riffs???
Old 01.29.2009, 04:39 PM   #19
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
yes but they never sounded that brilliant without sounding overproduced before and after orourke

I think Murray Street was the beginning of the end for me, in many ways.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:43 PM   #20
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
No it's not. I can't be arsed to write a long post about it because nobody will give a shit 'cause they can't tell a producer from a sound engineer, but you're totally wrong. Self-recorders, imagination and all that spring to mind.
Yes it is.
and i can TOTALLY tell the diff between a producer and a sound engineer. And what i do also know is that what the producer can do depends on what kind of sound was recorded by the sound engineer in the first place. They were obviously going for something very "clear" and "pristine" sounding, be it from a sound engineer or producer point of view.
It's the cleanest sounding SY record and both the engineering and the production go hand in hand on that matter.

i don't know what you mean with the self recorder and imagination stuff though.

i like it when you cantradict me cuz i get an instant boner. hot stuff.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth