Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Gaga album art
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.18.2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Right, some of you are a bit more au fait with the art world than me. I'm not normally much of a one for 'wtf is this?' but... really? Seriously? Is this really the sort of album art that 2011 is saying is ok? I mean, look at it. It's utterly preposterous.

I know a lot of you are going to piss and moan about how some things are popular and you never got laid until you were 30 and you're bitter about how pop music pissed on you once when you were, like, thinking really deep shit about how Sonic Youth ironically write the shittest lyrics of any band I can currently think of. Just leave it out, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

All this? This makes sense. Shit Gaga/ motorcycle hybrid? No. No no no.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.18.2011, 07:58 AM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
yeh the motorcycle cover sucks.

where's the remix album cover with stickers all over her body?
Old 05.18.2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Take a look in the back of any motorcycle magazine from the 80s to see similar "art".

I've never knowingly heard a LGG song (I'm that fucking cool).
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
about the cover. if it was as it is, i wish it was more 'bad' and more 'wrong'. if that makes sense. sorry, i cant feel a thing!

the other pics are fine. bubbles the best.

I think the problem is that everything else she does - whether I like it or not - makes sense in some way. Even when she's travelling on an egg, it looks pretty good. But the bike/ gaga thing is just weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
yeh the motorcycle cover sucks.

where's the remix album cover with stickers all over her body?

?

Also, I'm just going to point out the Crust thing again:

I mean, Gism and Doom in one pop video? Madness, I tell you.

Quote:
Old 05.18.2011, 09:15 AM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I can't be fucked to post one of the 1000 spoofs this cover has generated, but or someone who has an apparently sharp taste for art direction this is the most fail that's ever failed.

who the gave Gaga that crack?????????????????????????
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2011, 09:18 AM   #7
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
that said, I was born part spaceship.
Old 05.18.2011, 02:12 PM   #8
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
you're talking about it.
it worked.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2011, 02:15 PM   #9
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

in that case, Dinosaur Jr. 'works'.
Old 05.18.2011, 02:22 PM   #10
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I can't help but laugh looking at that new Album art. That shit is hilarious!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2011, 02:38 PM   #11
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
in that case, Dinosaur Jr. 'works'.

any new threads about Dinosaur Jr.?

it's easy to run out of wtfs so her PR people will have to resort to something worse than this cover at some point (soon).

Old 05.18.2011, 02:49 PM   #12
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

it doesn't even evoke wtfs. that's part of the problems. I just squint my eyes, grimace and shake my head NO.
Old 05.18.2011, 03:58 PM   #13
knox
invito al cielo

which reminds me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpY9z...eature=related

Old 05.18.2011, 04:10 PM   #14
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i think people expect faux "shocking" or "creative" work from her (the bubbles dress is amazing) and alot of her stuff has been cool (not so much the music) but this is so 1980's meh bland beige that its upsetting. i'm suprised theres not a dragon or a tiger draped around her neck with flames coming out of its mouth and daggers for legs. and a "born to rock" sash underneath
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2011, 04:12 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

I'm very happy that it works. The problem I have is that it is a bit shit.

I'm just saying that this works better. It's UTTERLY gorgeous, but took me ages to get to that point. And... I've expected more from Gaga than just 'wtf?' She's been consistently much more engaging than just shock value. And she's actually got tunes, unlike (say) Fischerspooner. But thinking of Fischerspooner, I kind of suspect it's a reference to something I've just entirely missed. You see?

Quote:
Old 05.18.2011, 04:14 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
it doesn't even evoke wtfs. that's part of the problems. I just squint my eyes, grimace and shake my head NO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
i think people expect faux "shocking" or "creative" work from her (the bubbles dress is amazing) and alot of her stuff has been cool (not so much the music) but this is so 1980's meh bland beige that its upsetting. i'm suprised theres not a dragon or a tiger draped around her neck with flames coming out of its mouth and daggers for legs. and a "born to rock" sash underneath

Yes, these words too.

Quote:
Old 05.18.2011, 04:17 PM   #17
Glice
invito al cielo

Egg entrance to the Grammys.

Quote:
Old 05.18.2011, 04:31 PM   #18
knox
invito al cielo

There's nothing more than wtfs.
For those who grew up on Madonna there was a special dejavu wtf - didn't Madonna do this Alejandro video in the early 90's?
And the extra wtf all this for THIS music?
Thank God I'm not picky and Fisherspooner can be very useful in nights out in gay clubs drunk on malibu + coke (which btw, another drink for ink and her husband to try, if they haven't already).

Old 05.18.2011, 04:39 PM   #19
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
quite contrary to my gagag-reflex, the makes me open my eyes wide, smile and shake my head YES.

more like this please.
Old 05.18.2011, 04:39 PM   #20
Glice
invito al cielo

Her music's great, by my reckoning. And the Madonna comparison is a bit off - yeah, she did the pseudo-Spanish song. So has everyone since (including Geri Halliwell and Rachel Stevens, neither of whom were anywhere near as good as Alejandro).

Pop's long been self-referential - what is it about Gaga in particular that make people pick up on it?

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth