Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page U.S. Girls Live on WFMU
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.07.2008, 01:51 PM   #1
sarramkrop

U.S. Girls Live on WFMU

Filling in for Hatch this week, I had the thrilling opportunity to present a live set of music from the Chicago entity known as U.S. Girls, which is actually one U.S. girl, named Megan Remy. Packing nothing more than a reel-to-reel tape deck, a mic, and 2 stomp boxes, U.S. Girls delivered a maelstrom of classic pop filtered through something unknowable and kinda crazy, I don't know what it is. I'll indulge the facile "A meets B" thing by saying imagine Phil Spector covered by The Conet Project, or The Dave Clark 5 as done by a gang of angry ghosts. It's strangely still pop music, stripped of all affect, leaving behind the pure emotion and meaning of songs like "Bits and Pieces" and The Kinks' "Days".
Here, for your health and holistic well-being, is the entire set U.S. Girls played, including the un-aired (and un-airable) full 27 minute chat. You can also check out the entire set as broadcast, complete with listener commentary and contextualizing other stuff (up to and including Pete Townshend's 1982 masterpiece "Slit Skirts"), here.

mp3s:
St Jude Boys Choir |
Bits & Pieces (Dave Clark 5 cover) |
Come See Lightly |
Don't Understand That Man |
Everyone I Know Is So Insane |
Prove It All Night (Bruce Springsteen cover) |
O What A Nite |
Days (Kinks cover) |

Buzz Chant |

I Can Hear Music (Ronettes / Beach Boys cover) |

interview (complete, unedited & unexpurgated)

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/mp3s/index.html
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2008, 03:35 PM   #2
sarramkrop

I would have never known that Bruce Sprinsteen had covered Suicide if it wasn't for the the interview at the end of the set. And hat off to DJ Rick for playing her on his radio show, thus bringing her music to the attention of Siltbreeze.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth