Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I Might Be Moving to Chicago
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.21.2006, 07:28 PM   #1
elder18
empty page

elder18 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Any suggestions, preferably from people who have lived/ are living there?
Thanks!
Old 04.21.2006, 07:32 PM   #2
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
Cool, step on steve albini head for me.
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
Don't bother with a car, take the bus. It saves on gas and is much safer~
(I know this from talking to other people from Chicago, I myself live in a small town 20 minutes Southwest [or east?] away from Milwauke)

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 07:36 PM   #4
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
When I think about where I'd like to move to one day I think of somewhere in California, Austin, TX or perhaps Chicago, IL. I went there for this last New Year & loved it.

elder18, (about your signature)
a band called Pylon have a song called "Read a Book"

Read a book/Don't be afraid
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 07:50 PM   #5
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
I'm in Chicago. It smells a bit odd, but you get used to it.

Where are you from originally?

Anngella's right, public transportation is the way to go. We are currently 11th highest in the nation with gas prices, if I remember correctly. Plus, there's not much point having a car if you live in the heart of the city.

Chicago is really a great place to live, very ecclectic and varied. It's an asscrack when it comes to weather, but that depends on your tolerance level.

I'm with you atari - I'm thinking southern California, where I can get sunshine, moderate temperatures, and personal space.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 08:01 PM   #6
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
When I think about where I'd like to move to one day I think of somewhere in California, Austin, TX or perhaps Chicago, IL. I went there for this last New Year & loved it.

elder18, (about your signature)
a band called Pylon have a song called "Read a Book"

Read a book/Don't be afraid

I hate living in Austin and can't wait to leave. It's so fucking ridiculously hot here all the fucking time, like 101 DEGREES IN MID APRIL!!!! it smells bad, traffic is bad, public transportation is bad, and the local vegetation is ugly. and southern hospitality is a lie. the great music scene austin is so well known for has been dead for at least 15 years. The days of the butthole surfers, big boys, dicks, etc are long gone. frat rock is the new austin sound.

101 DEGREES last monday! IN APRIL! DIAAAAAAAAAAMN. you must be crazy.

p.s. i usually don't hate austin nearly as much as i do today. it has its good points, but i'm struggling to remember what they are.
hat and beard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 08:29 PM   #7
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
Everyone in chicago is strange and indie snobbish ..its got the best music.. shellac, Us maple, bearclaw, .22, jesus lizard, blah blah...
MY FUCKING BAND
Old 04.21.2006, 08:32 PM   #8
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPfrey05
Everyone in chicago is strange and indie snobbish ..its got the best music.. shellac, Us maple, bearclaw, .22, jesus lizard, blah blah...

We're snobbish, because by default, Chicago residents are deities. Cower in the wake of our ethereal glory!
Old 04.21.2006, 08:32 PM   #9
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

i know, I envy chicagoians.. i mean.. they have tons of shit to do all the time!
MY FUCKING BAND
Old 04.21.2006, 08:53 PM   #10
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
yeah Texas is ugly & hot that's for sure. I lived in Dallas briefly during the summer of '89. But Austin is the live music capital of the world. I know that's a slogan, but it's also pretty true.

No way...truncated you are so with it....I had no idea that's where you were.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 09:04 PM   #11
truncated
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
yeah Texas is ugly & hot that's for sure. I lived in Dallas briefly during the summer of '89. But Austin is the live music capital of the world. I know that's a slogan, but it's also pretty true.

No way...truncated you are so with it....I had no idea that's where you were.

Yeah, it ain't too shabby here. Spoiled for choice really. Chicago is a denizen for hedonists.
Old 04.22.2006, 12:12 AM   #12
elder18
empty page

I live in a small college town (25,000 people) right now.
I've been to Chicago a few times and really enjoyed it.
How about neighborhoods to avoid, things like that?
Thanks!
Old 04.22.2006, 12:21 AM   #13
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Chicago has a no-wave scene.

Kk Rampage and NTELOS kick major ass.
Old 04.22.2006, 08:37 AM   #14
truncated
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elder18
I live in a small college town (25,000 people) right now.
I've been to Chicago a few times and really enjoyed it.
How about neighborhoods to avoid, things like that?
Thanks!

Depends on what you're into, really. Are you looking to move into the actual city, or the suburbs?

Don't go downtown - there's no point, the entire city is accessible within minutes by train, and downtown is MAD expensive (1-bedroom condos on Lakeshore Dr. cost upwards of $1 million).

I recommend the north or far north side, mostly because that's where I'm used to. The south side is a bit sketchy, and I don't know what the hell they do on the east and west sides - they're some kind of no-man's-land. But anyway, the north side is not very posh, but it has tons of character. Every block is a different ethnicity, and it has the most amazing venues/restaurants/theaters/shops that are holes in the wall, but offer a wealth of good shit.

Unless you're extremely wealthy and/or a yuppie, I wouldn't bother with Lincoln Park or Irving Park in the north. Bucktown is pretty good, and Grant Park isn't bad. Rogers Park is good, if you don't go too far north. But Loyola is in Rogers Park, and I for one find college students rather irritating.

Anywhere around Fullerton or Belmont is FABULOUS, if you can afford it.

It's cold here in the winter. REAL cold. Like, freeze your snot in your nose cold. And the wind is a force to be reckoned with. It's quite funny walking by the lake on a windy day - you watch people fall on their asses at random because the wind pushes them over. But if you can handle that, hey, come on down.
Old 04.22.2006, 11:20 AM   #15
wearescientists
bad moon rising

wearescientists is a jewel in the roughwearescientists is a jewel in the roughwearescientists is a jewel in the rough
check out these 2 areas: pilsen + wicker park. really fun, lots of art, and cool people to boot.
wearescientists is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 11:23 AM   #16
wearescientists
bad moon rising

wearescientists is a jewel in the roughwearescientists is a jewel in the roughwearescientists is a jewel in the rough
also, make sure you get a bike; city bike riding is the best
wearescientists is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 12:20 PM   #17
elder18
empty page

Thanks for the help fellas.
I'm thinking of living on the North Side as well, somewhere around N.Sheridan, etc.
I'm curious about the biking; is it safe?
Old 04.22.2006, 12:36 PM   #18
truncated
invito al cielo

<----- Not a fella, for the record.

I lived right off of Sheridan, on Arthur. Not a bad area (but we had a lot of centipedes for some reason).

The cars fear the bikers, not the other way around.
Old 04.22.2006, 05:28 PM   #19
aeolian cistern
empty page

aeolian cistern has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPfrey05

Bearclaw fucking sucks!
aeolian cistern is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 08:16 PM   #20
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
north side: i think truncated was with the irish mob

but didn't they get slaughtered by al capone?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth