Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Writing on canvas
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.03.2007, 09:54 AM   #61
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Nevermind. There's nothing you can teach me about Warhol that I don't already know.
Isn't that shoelace incident getting as old as Clones cape stories already? Choke on it!

You wouldn't tell that you knew much about Warhol, unless you are secretly writing an earth-shaking book about him that I don't know about. You're right about the shoelace; It's about time you start to work your tongue upwards towards my knee.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2007, 09:58 AM   #62
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Don't flatter yourself. My tongue deserves better than that.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2007, 10:05 AM   #63
sarramkrop

No you're flattering me, bootface.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2007, 10:17 AM   #64
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
ART is art.
The word 'art' is art.
'Art' written on canvas is art. How can it be anything else?
It might be shit and pretentious and not in the least bit artisitic, but it must be art.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2007, 10:20 AM   #65
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed, but try explaining that to the WarholDiedForMySins expert.
Old 07.03.2007, 10:37 AM   #66
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
ART is art.
The word 'art' is art.
'Art' written on canvas is art. How can it be anything else?
It might be shit and pretentious and not in the least bit artisitic, but it must be art.

That could easily be the motto for any lazy, unscrupulous artist who is out there trying to make a living out of poorly produced pieces of 'work'. One of the things that always struck me about Warhol is not so much a lot of his work itself, but more the cynical comment that someone who came from a commercial illustrative background made on the art world in general. Warhol himself declared his work to be rubbish a lot of the time, but it certainly didn't come across for quite sometime as the work of someone whose mind was rubbish at all, in fact he certainly was hated fervently by a lot of his contemporaries. The reason being that his work made pretty much a mockery of a lot of what was then being pretentiously being considered art.

To be continued................

P.S.: TOKOLOSH, try forming your own opinions on art, rather than just smugly keep on saying that you have some, awright babes?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2007, 10:57 AM   #67
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
ART!!!!
Old 07.03.2007, 04:14 PM   #68
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
That could easily be the motto for any lazy, unscrupulous artist who is out there trying to make a living out of poorly produced pieces of 'work'. One of the things that always struck me about Warhol is not so much a lot of his work itself, but more the cynical comment that someone who came from a commercial illustrative background made on the art world in general. Warhol himself declared his work to be rubbish a lot of the time, but it certainly didn't come across for quite sometime as the work of someone whose mind was rubbish at all, in fact he certainly was hated fervently by a lot of his contemporaries. The reason being that his work made pretty much a mockery of a lot of what was then being pretentiously being considered art.

To be continued................

What's wrong with being lazy or unscrupulous? Warhol got away with it for years.
It's the work that counts.

'Poor production' is a matter of subjective opinion.

You make your art with the materials to hand - if you don't have hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of diamonds lying around waiting to be made into a glittery skull, so what? Use an unmade bed.

Art isn't about technique or materials - it's about artistic thought made whole. Whether it's a crudely carved piece of wood in the shape of an African Deity, a customised lowrider, a potato print, Picasso's 'Guernica' or the words of the Q'ran wrought in gold on the gates of a mosque - it's an expression of artistic thought made whole. Like it or not - it's art. Not 'good art' or 'bad art', there is no such thing, once again that is a subjective opinion. Art is what it is.

Old 07.03.2007, 04:31 PM   #69
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
My friend David made a series of certain words and phrases on canvas when he was in art school, but they were made specifically to fuck with people during the peer critiques, which were always filled with people saying "Yaknow" and "It's cool" and other such enlightening insights. He painted the word "Cool" (and a few others) on a canvas in the typeface that was used in the early part of the 20th century for newspapers just for these special ties in class. He'd say, "OK, it's cool all right! What else you got?"
I sort of like that.
He only did that for a few paintings that had a specific purpose in mind though; he didn't make a career out of it.

Oh, and Jenny Holzer sucks.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 03:19 AM   #70
sarramkrop

Quote:
What's wrong with being lazy or unscrupulous? Warhol got away with it for years.
It's the work that counts.

'Poor production' is a matter of subjective opinion.

You make your art with the materials to hand - if you don't have hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of diamonds lying around waiting to be made into a glittery skull, so what? Use an unmade bed.

Art isn't about technique or materials - it's about artistic thought made whole. Whether it's a crudely carved piece of wood in the shape of an African Deity, a customised lowrider, a potato print, Picasso's 'Guernica' or the words of the Q'ran wrought in gold on the gates of a mosque - it's an expression of artistic thought made whole. Like it or not - it's art. Not 'good art' or 'bad art', there is no such thing, once again that is a subjective opinion. Art is what it is.

Art is about talent, technique, craftsmanship, materials, thoughts, expression etc etc. Surely we can't start denying that, now. By the way, if it comes across as if I hate all contemporary art, that would be extremely wrong. I don't at all, but I have resentment for a lot of work that has become prominent in the media and possibly for how art is taught in a lot of schools.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 03:32 AM   #71
sarramkrop

Well, not all art schools are rubbish. A lot of them are, but not all of them.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 04:02 AM   #72
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Do people read my posts or do they just respond to them by not responding?
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 05:28 AM   #73
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
personally i dont mind writing on canvas, sometimes its good and sometimes bad but i can consider it art. why shouldnt i?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 06:19 AM   #74
sarramkrop

Somebody shoot this man:

Tom Kemp
There's something about writing. It worries me. It's definitely got something to hide. I've spent a long time making writing. Trying to find out what's so special about the fact that it has to be physically created. At the same time my ideas about what art is have changed a lot. It's something like art being what takes over from writing when we reach writing's limit. So now I'm stuck in the middle of both, attempting to piece together a coherent answer and only managing this by making art which is writing.

Red You : bottle, enamel, canvas : 120cm x 285cm
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 06:32 AM   #75
sarramkrop

[quote=pbradley]I was getting at the fact that art in the greater sense transcends medium. In this sense, performance, canvas, tape... all irrelevant.

I would defend words used in visual art only if the words used elicit a greater or more specific meaning of the rest of the painting that the artist would like to convey but couldn't through ordinary means. quote]

Should you not use those words on some accompanying text to explain what is obviously not coming across from the finished product itself, then? The very fact that the visual aspect of the work you've produced can't sustain its own appeal by itself is enough to make it a severe case of weakness in the talent of the artist himself.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 06:57 AM   #76
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Not that I like the YOU piece, but you obviously don't have a clue about conceptual art.

conceptual art
n.
Art that is intended to convey an idea or concept to the perceiver and need not involve the creation or appreciation of a traditional art object such as a painting or sculpture.

Lick me.
Old 07.04.2007, 07:07 AM   #77
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses

Eh?
Old 07.04.2007, 07:09 AM   #78
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Not that I like the YOU piece, but you obviously don't have a clue about conceptual art.

conceptual art
n.
Art that is intended to convey an idea or concept to the perceiver and need not involve the creation or appreciation of a traditional art object such as a painting or sculpture.

Lick me.

If you say so I believe you.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 07:18 AM   #79
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Art is about talent, technique, craftsmanship, materials, thoughts, expression etc etc. Surely we can't start denying that, now. By the way, if it comes across as if I hate all contemporary art, that would be extremely wrong. I don't at all, but I have resentment for a lot of work that has become prominent in the media and possibly for how art is taught in a lot of schools.

Wrong on 4 out of 6. Art has nothing to do with talent, technique, craftsmanship or materials.
It has everything to do with thought and expression.

The more I think about it, the more I think that we are arguing at cross purposes.

You seem to see art as the product, I see it as a state of mind.

Art doesn't require an audience, it is beyond praise or criticism because it is an insight into the mind of an individual, and no one (not even your beloved Brian Sewell) has the right to comment on the work unless it is to express their own, individual, aesthetic opinion on how the work affects them and them alone.

No one's opinion is any more or less valid than anyone elses when it comes to art because we are all unique and have our own unique perceptions, and these perceptions help to form our opinions.

If the artist is happy with the work, then the art is good. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Old 07.04.2007, 07:21 AM   #80
sarramkrop

Quote:
Wrong on 4 out of 6. Art has nothing to do with talent, technique, craftsmanship or materials.
It has everything to do with thought and expression.

The more I think about it, the more I think that we are arguing at cross purposes.

You seem to see art as the product, I see it as a state of mind.

Art doesn't require an audience, it is beyond praise or criticism because it is an insight into the mind of an individual, and no one (not even your beloved Brian Sewell) has the right to comment on the work unless it is to express their own, individual, aesthetic opinion on how the work affects them and them alone.

No one's opinion is any more or less valid than anyone elses when it comes to art because we are all unique and have our own unique perceptions, and these perceptions help to form our opinions.

If the artist is happy with the work, then the art is good. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Let Tom do the answering:

Tom Kemp
There's something about writing. It worries me. It's definitely got something to hide. I've spent a long time making writing. Trying to find out what's so special about the fact that it has to be physically created. At the same time my ideas about what art is have changed a lot. It's something like art being what takes over from writing when we reach writing's limit. So now I'm stuck in the middle of both, attempting to piece together a coherent answer and only managing this by making art which is writing.

Red You : bottle, enamel, canvas : 120cm x 285cm
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth