Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lee Ranaldo and the Dust ON TOUR
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.16.2013, 12:45 PM   #1
sergisonic
children of satan

sergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's asses
thoughts, stories, setlists here!
sergisonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2013, 12:53 PM   #2
negative8ball
bad moon rising

negative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's asses
Will try to scan the setlist (if anyone is interested) from the Toronto show... songs were (spoilers, perhaps, don't know how similar each show has been - read on at your own discretion)...

---

Tomorrow Never Comes
Ambulancer
Off The Wall
Angles
Last Night On Earth
Key/Hole
Hammer Blows
Home Chds
The Rising Tide
Revolution Blues
Lecce, Leaving
--
encore
--
She Cracked
Fire Island

---

Show was excellent - but I'm biased because I love the new album. Everyone on stage appeared to be having a lot of fun (which was good) - and only one scream for "Mote" - so, good on ya, Toronto.

That being said, I suspect even people not as enamored of the new record will enjoy the live show - a little more frenetic energy throughout.
negative8ball is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2013, 02:54 PM   #3
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by negative8ball
Will try to scan the setlist (if anyone is interested) from the Toronto show... songs were (spoilers, perhaps, don't know how similar each show has been - read on at your own discretion)...

---

Tomorrow Never Comes
Ambulancer
Off The Wall
Angles
Last Night On Earth
Key/Hole
Hammer Blows
Home Chds
The Rising Tide
Revolution Blues
Lecce, Leaving
--
encore
--
She Cracked
Fire Island
Waiting On A Dream

---

Show was excellent - but I'm biased because I love the new album. Everyone on stage appeared to be having a lot of fun (which was good) - and only one scream for "Mote" - so, good on ya, Toronto.

That being said, I suspect even people not as enamored of the new record will enjoy the live show - a little more frenetic energy throughout.

waiting on a dream was not played
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2013, 06:34 PM   #4
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Show was really great. The climax of Leecee, Leaving was orgasmic. Or anti-orgasmic. The new album is sort of classic rock ish with folk elements.

The unit is really tight. I would highly recommend you go.
Old 10.17.2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
It appears this was a headlining show, eh? I am seeing them in Lawrence in a few days, and really wondering what to expect as an opener. About how long (playtime-wise) was that Toronto set?

I have to admit, seeing a lack of Xtina or Blackt Out highly concerns me. Those are my favorite tracks off each album, and I am REALLY wanting to see them played...or one of them at least.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2013, 09:07 PM   #6
negative8ball
bad moon rising

negative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal
waiting on a dream was not played

Sorry - was on the setlist and I couldn't remember by the end... amended.
negative8ball is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2013, 02:46 PM   #7
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
It appears this was a headlining show, eh? I am seeing them in Lawrence in a few days, and really wondering what to expect as an opener. About how long (playtime-wise) was that Toronto set?

I have to admit, seeing a lack of Xtina or Blackt Out highly concerns me. Those are my favorite tracks off each album, and I am REALLY wanting to see them played...or one of them at least.

Xtina was played. Somewhere near the start. I asked Lee why no Blackt out he said theyre workin on it ;P nucking futs song
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2013, 07:10 AM   #8
dzjupp
empty page

dzjupp has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I would encourage EVERYONE to go see Lee and Steve. I went thursday and must say, they were such a great live band and played their best songs (sorry i didn't grab a setlist). Lee was very gracious to everyone during and afterwards for coming out.

it was def my musical highlight of the year.
dzjupp is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal
Xtina was played. Somewhere near the start. I asked Lee why no Blackt out he said theyre workin on it ;P nucking futs song

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. Just got back from this weekend's show, and ya they played Xtina. I am fully content. Was an amazing, amazing show. It was funny how many people I heard in the audience mumbling "that was better than I thought it would be..." and things to that effect.
Old 10.21.2013, 01:22 PM   #10
dzjupp
empty page

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. Just got back from this weekend's show, and ya they played Xtina. I am fully content. Was an amazing, amazing show. It was funny how many people I heard in the audience mumbling "that was better than I thought it would be..." and things to that effect.

that was the general concensus at the show i was at. and they DID play "blackout" along with a cover of "She Cracked" from j richman and the modern lovers - they played those 2 for the Encore, or maybe it was blackout for the last song of the set, can't remember. the bass player is from another planet, so good.
Old 10.21.2013, 02:24 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
before I was so-so but after digging this record I am really looking forward to the LA show in December. Shit, the Echo is somehow taking over all the shows the past few years, even the Stones played there this year, TWICE no less!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Peterpuff
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzjupp
the bass player is from another planet, so good.
You know, I totally agree with you here. Some of his stuff is not as dominant on the recordings, but he plays his role in this band so damn well, and it truly shines in the live setting. Truly an awesomely complimentary player with Steve's style. It is nice to see someone else notice it, because throughout the whole show I found myself often gravitating towards the bass player and Steve, watching their non-verbal communication, and really getting off on what they were laying down together. Saw several smiles between the two as well during the set.

Overall, this group just seems to be a great outlet for Lee's expression while maintaining a high enjoyment level for all involved. Really a nice act to see. I just hope I soon get a chance to see a headlining set and not just an opener one (although they did get a decent amount of playtime and good sound mix).
Old 10.23.2013, 11:24 AM   #13
dzjupp
empty page

Quote:
You know, I totally agree with you here. Some of his stuff is not as dominant on the recordings, but he plays his role in this band so damn well, and it truly shines in the live setting. Truly an awesomely complimentary player with Steve's style. It is nice to see someone else notice it, because throughout the whole show I found myself often gravitating towards the bass player and Steve, watching their non-verbal communication, and really getting off on what they were laying down together. Saw several smiles between the two as well during the set.

Overall, this group just seems to be a great outlet for Lee's expression while maintaining a high enjoyment level for all involved. Really a nice act to see. I just hope I soon get a chance to see a headlining set and not just an opener one (although they did get a decent amount of playtime and good sound mix).

that is exactly what i thought. it was unique in the sense that steve and tim locked in together, and when tim did go off on some wicked riff (which was often but never tiring) he was always locked into steve's groove. its something you can't really notice on the albums, but live, they are so much of a better 'band'. and yes, all smiles the night i saw them. it was a very cool show, they have their own vibe which really works great live. Lee's main focus to me that night was putting the songs in the front and then playing off of that theory.
Old 11.13.2013, 06:56 AM   #14
krischanski
children of satan

krischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them at the Lido in Berlin yesterday. Liked them better than expected. But there were still too many solo guitar.
And of course, the bassist was kool.

Was it Cody with the guitars on the side of the stage?
____
krischanski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2013, 05:50 PM   #15
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder if the Brooklyn Bell House show is sold out. If it isn't, I'm going to go. I saw him in Philly last year and he completely destroyed. And he opened for M.Ward (whom I do not enjoy)

i'm glad Lee's finally able to embrace and enjoy his new solo career. he's a fantastic songwriter
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2013, 11:03 PM   #16
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
I wonder if the Brooklyn Bell House show is sold out. If it isn't, I'm going to go. I saw him in Philly last year and he completely destroyed. And he opened for M.Ward (whom I do not enjoy)

i'm glad Lee's finally able to embrace and enjoy his new solo career. he's a fantastic songwriter

To my knowledge, it's not sold out. I saw him on the tour he did when he opened for M. Ward also (I do not enjoy him either, Lee shouldn't open for anybody).
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth