Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Do you think Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist ever?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.06.2007, 12:01 PM   #61
sarramkrop

Just go and find it!!! Both of you!!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 12:03 PM   #62
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I think Keiji Haino has a much wilder guitar style than Hendrix ever had, Johnny Marr a more varied style and Lee Ranaldo or Thurston Moore a much more potent way of making you feel dizzy while listening to guitar sounds. And this is to name just a few of the usual suspects (Branca etc etc spring to mind too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
The artist builds on the important work that came before and also adds something novel to make their own art valid.

quote=wiki
Haino formed Aihiyo in 1998, principally playing a diverse range of covers (including The Rolling Stones, The Ronettes, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience), transforming the original material into Haino's unique form of garage psychedelia.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 12:04 PM   #63
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
wire and the slits and bands like that owe EVERYTHING to another black guitar master from the USA, CHUCK BERRY.

If the slits and wire owe anything to a black musician it's more likely someone like Lee Perry.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 12:05 PM   #64
sarramkrop

atari, Keiji Haino is also a fan of The Doors. I'm not. So what?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 12:09 PM   #65
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, that's so cool how you quote me, but then change your own previous post.

This coming from a man that's surgically bound to the edit button.
Old 06.06.2007, 12:10 PM   #66
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I edit my posts for clarification purposes only and to correct any mistakes.
What you edited makes things deceiving to the readers.
There's a world of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I took the plunge last year but am really struggling to make progress. I'm trying barre chords but still cant move up and down the neck without deadening some strings (and you can totally forget about about changing chords whilst doing it) Am I destined for a future of two note powerchords! Is Blitzkrieg Bop the best I'm ever going to attain? And, being in my late 30s, am I just too old to start such an epic ordeal?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...d.php?t=154241

I'm sorry you missed me so much you had to start this thread today, sarramkrop.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
Old 06.06.2007, 12:11 PM   #67
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Just go and find it!!! Both of you!!!

whore! that's why i pay you for!

you getting all uppity now?

here's the link, you do the walking:

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/...ndrix/articles

i want results before lunch. my lunch, which is the only one that matters.

get a move on!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 12:14 PM   #68
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
trailblazing guitarists before jimi hendrix:

chuck berry
buddy guy
hubert sumlin
muddy waters
wes montgomery
charlie christian
jeff beck
pete townshend
eric clapton
sonny sharrock
link wray
dick dale
dude who played with gene vincent
lou reed and sterling morrison
t-bone walker
albert king
lonnie mack
not to mention tons of soul, garage, surf, blues and rockabilly dudes.

it's not like hendrix came out of thin air.

plus, FACT: i have a cd of hendrix playing live in greenwich village in '66 and dude was playing straight up r&b/blues with hardly any feedback or anything; it's also interesting to know that this is when the velvet underground were playing out in new york. so i do think hendrix was influenced by the velvets.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 12:24 PM   #69
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
I edit my posts for clarification purposes only and to correct any mistakes.
What you edited makes things deceiving to the readers.
There's a world of difference.

I took the plunge last year but am really struggling to make progress. I'm trying barre chords but still cant move up and down the neck without deadening some strings (and you can totally forget about about changing chords whilst doing it) Am I destined for a future of two note powerchords! Is Blitzkrieg Bop the best I'm ever going to attain? And, being in my late 30s, am I just too old to start such an epic ordeal?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...d.php?t=154241

I'm sorry you missed me so much you had to start this thread today, sarramkrop.

Those barrechords aren't getting any easier. That's for sure.
Old 06.06.2007, 12:41 PM   #70
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Those barrechords aren't getting any easier. That's for sure.
They should be coming naturally to you by now. Your posture must be bad.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that this thread was combative long before I ever showed up in it.
sarramkrop, the topic poster with a penchant for gobbledygook, intentionally started this thread to stir up shit and to dredge up tension.
All the same arguments, point and counter-point, have been made many times in many other threads. He's quite the lame-brain to (once again) think that his position is a very strong one.
Old 06.06.2007, 01:04 PM   #71
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, but if you think Sarramkrop is only trying to wind you up, why bite?
Old 06.06.2007, 01:07 PM   #72
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
No.... hell no.... shit no!
'
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 01:25 PM   #73
follow.blind
bad moon rising

follow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's asses
is there something like "being the best guitarist" at all?
It is not a sport...every educated musician is better guitar player than...for example Thurston...so what? They often sound lame. Derek Bailey is one of my favorite guitar players. Is he better than Hendrix? No, he's just different...uncomparable. J Mascic is guitar super hero for most of us but I'm pretty sure that a lot of guitar teachers wouldn't recommend his technique...
Eric Clapton can play guitar very well...but he simply sucks...
I don't care...most of guitar players are pretty annoying in person..such big-egos...("hey, look out! I can play another Led Zep solo" - "oh really!? I can stick my finger into your nose for 7 seconds, dude!")
omg...
I'm too drunk to give you The Greatest Solution.
follow.blind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 01:39 PM   #74
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Because I can hardly play guitar at all, I tend to listen to guitarists differently to those who can. I'm not especially overwhelmed by Hendrix's technique because, frankly, I'm overwhelmed by almost all guitarist's technique. What I'm left with is the actual sounds/melodies they produce. I'd definitely say that the intro to Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) is one of the most awesome things I've heard on any instrument. Then again I could say the same about the main riff on The Cramps' New Kind of Kick, but noone could describe Bryan Gregory as - so to speak - a 'great' guitarist. Or maybe they could. Who knows?

At the end of all this, we're only REALLY left with subjectivity. Whoever may or may not be the 'best' pales into insignificance besides who you prefer listening to. I'll always prefer listening to Bryan Gregory over Jimi Hendrix. But that's not to say he's a better guitarist.
Old 06.06.2007, 01:43 PM   #75
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Man, I'm bored with, well, everything right now. So I declare demonrail666 to be the best guitarist ever, cos I said so, innit. So there. You can all disagree all you want, and that's cool, but I'M RIGHT, DAMMIT!

Ahem. As you were, then.
Old 06.06.2007, 02:33 PM   #76
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
I declare demonrail666 to be the best guitarist ever.

And with that, I declare the whole matter closed.
Old 06.06.2007, 03:19 PM   #77
sarramkrop

Look guys, I just got annoyed at one more documentary that presents the history of rock in such a dull and inaccurate way, and it made it even worse that it's been told by old men who haven't listened to anything new since The Beach Boys or something, but remain all too smug about giving an account of it at any opportunity. Rock music is some of the laziest music when it comes to evolving, and that could be because a lot of its fans are prone to smoking too many drugs and nod like sheep at any notion of cool that has little to do with the finished product, and those notions are thrown at them on a daily basis. I don't like that because it makes it stagnant, and in a way it tells them to listen to the same 4 records over and over again without checking out so much stuff that has been produced underneath it and is just as valid as what's commonly recognized as the best or most representative of the genre. The fact that the perpetrators are generally ageing dudes who still try to follow the dream makes it worse and more depressing. Good post by Everyneurotic, by the way.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 03:24 PM   #78
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I think that all this leads to a sense that Rock music really is a bit dead in the water now, and probably has been for at least ten years now. The interesting stuff is now so divorced from any kind of traditional Rock format that you can only really look at it with a sense of nostalgia.
Old 06.06.2007, 03:25 PM   #79
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If the slits and wire owe anything to a black musician it's more likely someone like Lee Perry.

ridiculous.
listen to wire's guitar riffing. listen to chuck berry's GREAT 28.
Old 06.06.2007, 03:28 PM   #80
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
ridiculous.
listen to wire's guitar riffing. listen to chuck berry's GREAT 28.

Outrageous.
Listen to the production on The Slits first album. Liston to Lee Perry's Armagideon album.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth