Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Does anyone else want to start a improvisational noise band? (Beaumon tx/SETX)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.06.2008, 06:42 PM   #1
koolthing
empty page

koolthing ain't too shabby
I'm not so much interested in working in "notes" as much as "tone" or "sound" (and in fact, I can't play a note-based instrument in any from that may be normal; e.g. I see a guitar as an instrument with six strings but I couldn't play a chord progression).

My idea of a sound would be the flatness of John Cage mixed in with the wild abandon of guitar feedback added to the pounding of a drum circle, but without the theory and pretensions. But that could change depending on the players, the sounds of the instruments, etc.

I play guitar effects, the body of the guitar (and sometimes the strings), small percussion instruments, toy noisemakers, and voice (sometimes for words, sometimes for sounds). I'm not necessarily looking for a traditional rock/jazz lineup of "guitar/bass/keys/drums." It could be three kazoo players and a percussionist.

If you are interested, but do not have an instrument, that’s cool too because I have extra guitars/bass/toy noise-makers/etc. The important part is that you are interested in getting together to make some noise that could be music, not that you are capable of playing an instrument in the socially accepted way.

Influences: Thurston Moore's and Lee Ranaldo's noise experiments, Miles Davis in the 70's (lots of percussion!), Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" album, John Cage, Karlheintz Stockhausen, John Zorn, Brian Eno, Steve Roach, Philip Glass, setting an effect-looped guitar against an amp, bells, toy noisemakers, radio static, wordplay.

Anyway if yr interested you can msg me here, msg me at my myspace (www.myspace.com./anthonymostphotography) or email at anthonymost@yahoo.com

cya
anthony
koolthing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth