Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.30.2017, 12:33 PM   #21541
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Dead Poets Society.

Still a great movie.

What’s his face... the guy who played the “Watson” analogue in HOUSE, M.D., was in this. (I say “Watson” analogue because that show was clearly an attempt at a modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, right?)

Anyway... “O Captain my Captain” and whatnot.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2017, 01:08 PM   #21542
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone thinking about going to see the new Blade Runner film? I refuse to read any in depth reviews or trailers for it for fear of having it spoiled. However, from what I've heard is that it's been rated pretty highly everywhere. I'm actually really glad about that cos after too many fucking shit sequels, reboots whatever else I was expecting it to just be mediocre.

However, having said that I'm trying not to build it up too much before. Again, I've done that too many times that I've almost turned into a jaded Philip French film watcher.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2017, 02:31 PM   #21543
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Anyone thinking about going to see the new Blade Runner film? I refuse to read any in depth reviews or trailers for it for fear of having it spoiled. However, from what I've heard is that it's been rated pretty highly everywhere. I'm actually really glad about that cos after too many fucking shit sequels, reboots whatever else I was expecting it to just be mediocre.

However, having said that I'm trying not to build it up too much before. Again, I've done that too many times that I've almost turned into a jaded Philip French film watcher.

I need to absorb the original Blade Runner more before I bother with this one.
Old 09.30.2017, 02:33 PM   #21544
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Still a great movie.

What’s his face... the guy who played the “Watson” analogue in HOUSE, M.D., was in this. (I say “Watson” analogue because that show was clearly an attempt at a modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, right?)

Anyway... “O Captain my Captain” and whatnot.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000494/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

I mostly know him from this and "Swing Kids".
Old 09.30.2017, 02:40 PM   #21545
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

OH YEAH! Swing Kids! Shit yeah!

So do you think I’m off the mark on HOUSE being a Sherlock Holmes for snarky science-types?
Old 09.30.2017, 02:45 PM   #21546
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

I AM TOTALY FUCKING FLIPPING OUT ABOUT IT!!!
Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all time.

This is such a huge deal to me. It makes the new Star Wars and justice league both look like stupid little flights of fancy.

I AN pissed that Jóhann Jóhannsson was removed from the project. I loved the variations on the original score that I was seeing in previews, and I can’t imagine why they went with the (also awesome) Hans Zimmer instead of Jóhannsson. Especially after his excellent work on Villeneuve’s other movie that made my heart and brain explode, ARRIVAL.

Also, I hate Jared Leto, but I love Ryan Gosling more than I hate Jared Leto, so there’s hope.

Denis Villeneuve doesn’t do shitty movies. This is going to be rock solid. A lot of old fanboys are pissed about it but I say FUCK THEM, IT LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME.
Old 09.30.2017, 03:38 PM   #21547
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Not... blown away... by... Arrival?

B-b-b-but but... but... ughhh!

Wow. Yeah.
Old 09.30.2017, 04:13 PM   #21548
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Wow. Yeah.

Sarcastic or nah?

Because I was legitimately floored by it. It’s not that the ending was some huge surprise (I was piecing things together), but just the way it was executed... it was so beautiful and so heart-wrenching and so heart-warming and so global and so relevant and so personal all at the same time. Plus it had aliens. Stories of that caliber usually don’t have aliens.

I was just in tears by the end of that movie. I went into it expecting to be let down, too! I really can’t inagine NOT being blown away by that movie.

Plus Amy Adams hotty-bobotty vroom vroom and all that.
Old 09.30.2017, 04:32 PM   #21549
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
You know how I feel about Amy Adams.

No sarcasm. Thought we talked about Arrival before. I loved it so much.
Old 09.30.2017, 04:48 PM   #21550
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
OH YEAH! Swing Kids! Shit yeah!

So do you think I’m off the mark on HOUSE being a Sherlock Holmes for snarky science-types?

Never seen House before, so I can't comment.
Old 09.30.2017, 05:20 PM   #21551
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i've seen a couple of episodes of "house"

gimmicky "genius" shit for geriatrics-- i have it mentally lumped in the same lot as NCIS, as advertisers probably also do

---

anyway, speaking of "shit", just finished watching (not really) "underworld:blood wars"

i'm a sucker for kate beckinsale in a rubber suit but she looks so botoxed/cgi'ed it's like a weird mannekin/video game character.

she's so naturally hot-- why couldn't she let herself hotly wrinkle, instead of this nonsense? fucks sakes

everything else was of course terrible, so i feel cheated of the only justification i had to watch this garbage.

anyway rrr ok.

--

Quote:

he gave a few venereal diseases to chloe sevigny in the last days of disco

kate beckinsale was in it! as the hot friend.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2017, 06:24 PM   #21552
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:

Super excited about 2049. I can't wait.
Old 09.30.2017, 10:32 PM   #21553
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

I'm watching half cult, half crap horror movies on Netflix.

Children of the Corn
Dark

Zombeaver
Paranormal Whacktivity
Old 09.30.2017, 10:50 PM   #21554
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i've seen a couple of episodes of "house"

gimmicky "genius" shit for geriatrics-- i have it mentally lumped in the same lot as NCIS, as advertisers probably also do

---

anyway, speaking of "shit", just finished watching (not really) "underworld:blood wars"

i'm a sucker for kate beckinsale in a rubber suit but she looks so botoxed/cgi'ed it's like a weird mannekin/video game character.

she's so naturally hot-- why couldn't she let herself hotly wrinkle, instead of this nonsense? fucks sakes

everything else was of course terrible, so i feel cheated of the only justification i had to watch this garbage.

anyway rrr ok.

--

he gave a few venereal diseases to chloe sevigny in the last days of disco

kate beckinsale was in it! as the hot friend.

Hahahaha

But HOUSE is way better than NCIS. More to be lumped in with... uhhh... maybe Better Call Saul for a modern reference? Smart... for a Fox Show. But still mostly a procedural.

There’s more to it than that. It’s not total shit.

And it’s totally a Sherlock Holmes thing. The Watson guy is name “Wilson,” for fuck’s sake. The “Holmes” guy is named “House.” Wow, I just realized how right I’ve been about this all along.

“Holmes” ... “House”

Yup. Totally a Holmes and Watson thang.
Old 10.01.2017, 07:08 AM   #21555
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Children of the Corn

Will always have a soft spot for that one.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2017, 09:01 AM   #21556
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Better Call Saul for a modern reference?
hmmm...no way-- i've seen episodes of house. saul doesn't feature flying viruses jumping from an old lady to a teddy bear to a sick child in the hospital

that is more in the tradition of, er, what's the one, CSI, where miraculous science explanations happen in full gci animation for the benefit of the ignorant public-- science as the new opium of the people. and of course--the misunderstood genius! battling the idiocy of others! ughhh..

this is more like the other shit science show... "numbers". where the guy juuuuust happened to have worked in the branch of mathematics that will solve the crime of the week. i tried watching that a bit too some years ago but ayayay.

saul is about the eroding power of lies and has nothing to do with that kinda bullshit. also because they don't have to crank out 30 episodes per year and fill up weekly slots the writing is good and deliberate and free of fluff and filler.

oh, the one with the bullshit science i actually did like was "lie to me," with tim roth. it had good characters and storylines for the most part. turned a bit shambolic near the end and probably a good thing it was cancelled before it jumped the shark.
Old 10.01.2017, 09:29 AM   #21557
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
hmmm...no way-- i've seen episodes of house. saul doesn't feature flying viruses jumping from an old lady to a teddy bear to a sick child in the hospital

that is more in the tradition of, er, what's the one, CSI, where miraculous science explanations happen in full gci animation for the benefit of the ignorant public-- science as the new opium of the people. and of course--the misunderstood genius! battling the idiocy of others! ughhh..

this is more like the other shit science show... "numbers". where the guy juuuuust happened to have worked in the branch of mathematics that will solve the crime of the week. i tried watching that a bit too some years ago but ayayay.

saul is about the eroding power of lies and has nothing to do with that kinda bullshit. also because they don't have to crank out 30 episodes per year and fill up weekly slots the writing is good and deliberate and free of fluff and filler.

oh, the one with the bullshit science i actually did like was "lie to me," with tim roth. it had good characters and storylines for the most part. turned a bit shambolic near the end and probably a good thing it was cancelled before it jumped the shark.

Lie to me is just House with Tim Roth. It’s House with applied psychology instead of medicine.

I know house is basically bad tv, br it had its moments, and broke through that procedural, once-a-week thing on several occasions. Not great, but not terrible. Gets pretty weird from time to time. I hadn’t seen the entire thing until just a coupe of years ago, and while plenty of it is stupid, it also has some interesting twists along the way.

You’re right though. It’s no Better Call saul, not even the same kind of show, but I was struggling to find something to compare it to that didn’t lend to the argument that it’s nust total shit.
Old 10.01.2017, 10:36 AM   #21558
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah, i wasn't really attracted by the "magic science" though. which i knew upfront to be total bullshit. i mean, we all read "microexpressions", but it's not like the exact arithmetic of the show.

where it got watchable for me was in the complications that fictional knowledge brought to life and personal relationships-- that is, the writing of the characters on top of the magic science gimmicks-- who do you trust, and with what, and how much, and how do you relate to them-- that sort of thing.

since the pseudo-science was psychology, it naturally fed into more intricate character writing.

and tim roth is lots of fun to watch, yeah--that definitely made it entertaining. not groundbreaking anything though, just fun stuff. i've paid a lot of bills in front of that show.
Old 10.01.2017, 02:16 PM   #21559
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh hell the fuck yeah!

THE WHOLE GRITTY CITY

checkit:

http://thewholegrittycity.com
Old 10.01.2017, 04:51 PM   #21560
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah, i wasn't really attracted by the "magic science" though. which i knew upfront to be total bullshit. i mean, we all read "microexpressions", but it's not like the exact arithmetic of the show.

where it got watchable for me was in the complications that fictional knowledge brought to life and personal relationships-- that is, the writing of the characters on top of the magic science gimmicks-- who do you trust, and with what, and how much, and how do you relate to them-- that sort of thing.

since the pseudo-science was psychology, it naturally fed into more intricate character writing.

and tim roth is lots of fun to watch, yeah--that definitely made it entertaining. not groundbreaking anything though, just fun stuff. i've paid a lot of bills in front of that show.

Ok, but psychology isn’t pseudoscience. The show stole from real theories, and made it look like a superpower. But ... y’know... *actual* psychology — that is, the systematic study of human behavior in relation to the brain — is not pseudoscience. It’s science science.

I took chemistry classes that were soft as butter compared to advanced quantitative research methods in neuropsychology, or psychopharmacology.

The show actually pisses me off because it feeds the public misconception that psychology is just sitting in a chair and judging people. That’s just clinical psychology, and yeah, it’s not great.

I just didn’t like how old that shit got. “You’re lying.” Wow. Ok. Way to knock the wind out of me, whatever-the-fuck your name is. I had no idea this episode was going to be about you dealing with someone who was *lying*. Whoah.

It’s a lot like that OTHER-other science gone stupid show “Bones.” That show does an excellent job of making a perfectly reputable (but nowhere near as reputable methodologically as psychology or medicine) science, in that case applied anthropology, and just making it look like a goddamn joke.

What’s the deal with making science look LESS INTERESTING than it actually is by cooking up drama around it? I’d rather read a textbook than watch that show.

The dude in Lie to Me is based on a real person — Dr. Paul Ekman — whose work and theories on deception and identification have been pretty roundly criticized. He’s a pop psychologist, and his work was applied to airport SPOT technology, and has come under fire for being hastily implemented despite insufficient internal validity testing.
I had a cognition professor who would roll his eyes when talking about Ekman and go on tangents. Loved that guy.

Anyway, these are all bad television shows, but as far as I’m concerned, House is the best because it doesn’t make any reputable fields of study look positively daffy. It just goes to way too much trouble to make microscopic stuff exciting, and to find obscenely ridiculous ways of telling captivating stories based loosely on the tenants of medicine. But at least it doesn’t make people call psychology a pseudo-science. Yeeesh.
57897810281068107510761077 1078 107910801081108811281178 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth