Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal thread for those who feel like SY broke their hearts with this one
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2009, 12:07 AM   #21
Johnny American
little trouble girl

Johnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
I appreciate your effort to describe your opinion here.. (not that my praise means anything).

You sound really burnt out. Sorry for that .

What albums have actually inspired you lately ?

I assure I am not burnt out, but thanks for the concern. I am out of college and unemployed, though, so I guess that gives me enough time to write five paragraphs about a favorite band? Though it didn't take me very long ...

The last album or songs to really make me go crazy in a good way was the recently leaked "Bitte Orca" by the Dirty Projectors, who I just think are maybe my replacement for Sonic Youth as THE favorite band after loving them through the end of college, all of college and a couple of years (though New Attitude by them is sort of their craziest and best one). (And I still love SY, but it's just not the same here – I think I'm gonna skip this tour after seeing them eight times or so in the last seven years).

I also loved "Brothersport" and "My Girls" from the AC album this year; enjoyed this Bobby Conn record that Jim O'Rourke produced in 2001 that I just found called "The Golden Age"; I really, really loved the "J'Accuse Ted Hughes" release from last year, and was sorta getting into Laura Nyro a little, who is kinda nuts actually ... I really enjoyed "In Rainbows," and "Widow City," the Deerhoof album before the very last one, the second half of the Sea and Cake album from last year ... and you know, I just continue to listen the hell out of SY stuff from 1983-2006. I do not find very many of the Pitchfork bands worthwhile; they seem sort of like pastiche outfits looking to capitalize on strong positive feelings for classic bands of varying quality (see: Arcade Fire aping Bruce Springsteen, solo Panda Bear going for some under-melodic Pet Sounds... yuck)

And man, I have like the most negative reputation ever now. Oh well! I will never bounce back from that unless I buy everybody cake or something.
Johnny American is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 12:10 AM   #22
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny American
It's like their soul has dropped out of their music.
My eye only caught this sentence.

I shall judge the whole by it alone.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 12:12 AM   #23
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Actually there are 16 members ahead of you in negative rep. Most notably the infamous Felicia Funbags.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 12:44 AM   #24
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny American
I did not know Sonic Youth to make awful songs, except for the occasional clunker ("Pink Steam," "Lights Out," "Hits of Sunshine" all being more boring than terrible).

If you think Hits Of Sunshine is an awful song, i won't bother reading the rest of your big, big post. Bye!
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 12:48 AM   #25
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Hipster alert, hipster alert.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 12:55 AM   #26
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.theonion.com/content/news...ives_music_6_8
Old 04.29.2009, 01:04 AM   #27
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

killthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard sucka
I feel like SY broke my heart with that record and i totally agree with johnny american. Yes it took me some spins to get into NYC Ghosts and Flowers but it was interesting from the first moment. But this is completly different. Thereīs no ambition on my part to listen to "the eternal" over and over again. nothing to discover. and i really donīt want to polarise with that opinion. i just canīt believe that even SY are happy with that record.
killthecaliforniagirls is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 01:04 AM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, the newbies sure are annoying.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 01:05 AM   #29
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

killthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard sucka
oh no didnīt want to write it in Big font
Old 04.29.2009, 01:06 AM   #30
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Wow, the newbies sure are annoying.

Man at least the ones that Emma brought were funny.

Old 04.29.2009, 01:07 AM   #31
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Somebody post some emo poetry.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 01:07 AM   #32
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthecaliforniagirls
I feel like SY broke my heart with that record and i totally agree with johnny american. Yes it took me some spins to get into NYC Ghosts and Flowers but it was interesting from the first moment. But this is completly different. Thereīs no ambition on my part to listen to "the eternal" over and over again. nothing to discover. and i really donīt want to polarise with that opinion. i just canīt believe that even SY are happy with that record.

Yr wrong. I've heard new shit on each listen of The Eternal today.
Old 04.29.2009, 01:08 AM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
The album's been out a few years and so many people already have their definitive opinion on it. So hilarious. "IT BROKE MY HEART!" Give me a fucking break haha.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 01:09 AM   #34
static-harmony
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Somebody post some emo poetry.

Our Love
Loves memory has traced our outline in this place.
But will the spider remember, or the sun?
Did the water capture our faces in permanence?
Does the wind create us anew as it blows?
Did the shadows from the trees record our passage beneath them?
Our secret been revealed.
Yet I have told no other.
I write these words in silence, in mute testimony
To what once was.
But our image remains alive in this place.
It can not be removed.
You, me,
We then,
Were here.
We saw the day and hoped for tomorrow.
We caught a brief glimpse of love's promise.
We were not liars,
But thieves of time.
For now time has now forgotten us,
Yet our memory lingers, and love remembers
This place that was ours.

Falling Away
I am bored with love
and it's passionless limbs
that drape over my bed
in a lethargic state of impotence
while wearing the same red heart
my soul picked up hitchhiking
off highway serendipity

Now here we are
alone in togetherness
trying to build dreams
with two by fours and glue,
but even a home
won't tie us together
when our hearts live alone

Poetic vows cliched
into nothingness
like all words do, eventually
and we allowed
our bodies to become
another pair of hollow shadows
that make love to a wall
instead of each other
and we wonder why
the roses are dying

Your Lies
Funny when things never change
Even when you say they will
But while your off s(rewing her
My life is standing still

You tell me that you love me
When I go to leave
You tell me I'm your only one
And I let myself believe

I know that you are using me
But you'll never let me go
I know that you don't love me
I know I'm just for show

I don't know If I can stand
To see you love another girl
You know that you broke my heart
You know that your my world

But while your standing by my side
I'll believe your lies forever
Cause everything seems so perfect
When we are together

Autumn Times
Autumn breeze frigidly touches ailing dreadful lives
Harshly darkness quietly surrounds the broken souls
Mellow serenades that once played between hearts
Pathetically have transformed into bitter sad songs

Somewhere beyond the flossy clouds
Cupid has lost his romancing arrows
Plays sad sonorous tunes on his bow
Dedicated to all weepy lonely hearts

Howling chilly wind blows through the mist
Sounds of sorrow spread allover the place
Fuzzy humid air submerges the inner lust
Lives decay slowly as the autumn leaves fall...

Old 04.29.2009, 01:13 AM   #35
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
This thread=

Old 04.29.2009, 01:18 AM   #36
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

Iīm not "wrong". Itīs my opinion. And yeah it does sound very emotional to say it broke my heart but thatīs how i felt yesterday evening. :-) My Girlfriend forced me to stop talking myself into rage at some point. Theyīre my favourite band and they recorded a very boring record (my opinion).
Old 04.29.2009, 01:19 AM   #37
static-harmony
invito al cielo

I haven't heard but good things from this album, if it's better than RR I am anxious to listen to it.

Old 04.29.2009, 01:31 AM   #38
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
You know since this dude keeps talking about Dirty Projectors I gotta say that the dude that sings for them has the most annoying voice like, EVER. I listened to that album and the only good song on it was when that dude shut his mouth, and that one just rips off Gang Gang Dance so whatevvvv.

Have fun being so hateful and what not. Just saying, yr wrong.
Old 04.29.2009, 01:32 AM   #39
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthecaliforniagirls
Iīm not "wrong". Itīs my opinion. And yeah it does sound very emotional to say it broke my heart but thatīs how i felt yesterday evening. :-) My Girlfriend forced me to stop talking myself into rage at some point. Theyīre my favourite band and they recorded a very boring record (my opinion).

How is it your opinion that there is nothing to discover? There is shit to discover, yr simply wrong on that. There's no way you could have heard all the fine details of The Eternal in one listen. It's yr opinion that it's boring. Whatever. I can't change your mind on that, you must be a boring person.
Old 04.29.2009, 01:40 AM   #40
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

Yes!!! You made me laugh! Thanks.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth