Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Inevitable Zimmerman/Martin Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2013, 11:11 AM   #21
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
they should have gone for manslaughter charge, not murder. murder is very specific and much harder to "prove"

they may still do so

Manslaughter was still a visible option which was reminded to the jury by (1) the prosecution, (2) the judge, and even (3) the defense. The whole "the prosecution's case was weak" argument is a shallow cop-out. Simply put, common sense and the smell test alone suggests something was wrong with this shooting, and frankly at this point I don't TRUST ANYBODY who thinks otherwise, period.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2013, 11:22 AM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery

So? He shot and killed an unarmed teenager, I could careless if the motherfucker was the head counsel for the NAACP, bullshit is bullshit wherever it comes from.

Quote:
Martin was a paranoid and thuggish young man who happened to be black. He was punching Zimmerman in the face and smacking his head off the kerb.

Correction, it was a sidewalk. Further, its easy for anyone to shift the narrative around, because Trayvon is dead, and can't speak for himself. Even if he was whooping Zimmerman's ass, HOW DOES AN ASS-BEATING JUSTIFY LETHAL FORCE?? VINDICATE SUMMARY EXECUTION??

Quote:
Zimmerman defended himself because he was being physically assaulted.

With a gun??

Quote:
He also has a right to be concerned about who is walking around his neighbourhood after dark.

Yeah, you know what with all those scary blacks out there

Quote:
If young black men have a high incidence of crime, then, when you are in that fight or flight moment trying to assess someone for danger, taking into account their blackness is a judgement the brain is likely to rush to.

Sighs.

Quote:
This is not necessarily racist,

ACTUALLY IT FUCKING IS, but somehow I'm not surprised in the least.

Quote:
But of course, America is simply in permanent hysteria over black people.

That is because last time I checked, there is still massive structural racism in the "legal" system, in public education, in national policy, and in employment. Its easy for people who aren't black to dismiss this as not true, but that doesn't negate the reality that it is.

Quote:
I see this because of my outsider perspective and its really sick.

Actually it just shows how you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

Quote:
They will always be black people before they are people. Both the left and the right have reasons for this. It's a stupid game that everybody plays.

Only to racists and closet racists, to the rest of us, believe it or not, black people ARE just people, and they happen to be black

Old 07.15.2013, 11:42 AM   #23
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
So you're saying, if someone has you against a sidewalk (i dont know the american terms for these things) and is smacking your head off it - its not permissible to use a gun? Do you think that Zimmerman necessarily WANTED to shoot him? He panicked.

It's reasonable to accept someone to understand that if you assault someone in a serious way its possible that they are going to react badly and hurt you back! It's possible they will act irrationally in self defense and you might end up injured or dead. It would have been better if he hadn't killed him - of course - but it wasn't due to his fucking race. I know thats the easy judgement to make but its not true in this case.

How else could he have stopped it? He's fat and was on the ground. Seriously I'm sorry but i'm not surprised he used it and I don't think he should be prosecuted for murder for doing so.

And why do you want to pretend that the BLACKNESS of Martin should be a thing here? There are white robbers creeping around neighbourhoods aswell.

So you're saying, if you got a call from your friend saying 'there's an escaped mental patient whose psychotic and violent and was last seen in your backyard' and this person happened to be black it would be racist for you to assume the black person you can see out your window might be the same dangerous nut?

It's the same logic as - "hey man, this guy says hes going to beat you up, i dont know his name but he's wearing a red baseball cap". I'm going to be on the lookout when I see fuckers in red baseball cap. I am not thus prejudiced.

-

As for the rest of your points - I'll accept it because I don't live there and I don't know. I rarely ever interact with other races (because not many live here). When I do interact with them, their race is not a thing that is discussed or affects my behaviour in any way I can see. I might speak slower if their english is not so good. That's about it.

But I strongly suspect that when you talk about structural racism what you are really saying is 'a lot of white people' whom you want to blame for their not being an equal or greater number of black people in these positions. And you don't want there to be ANY other reason for that other than white people oppressing them. It's too simplistic a narrative. It hasn't actually worked all that well, since the ghettos and poverty and lower rates of life expectancy are still there.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2013, 11:50 AM   #24
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
So you're saying, if someone has you against a sidewalk (i dont know the american terms for these things) and is smacking your head off it - its not permissible to use a gun?

Yes, that is precisely and exactly what I am saying. Further, its not merely using the gun that is the crux of the issue, its the KILLING part that needs to be held accountable. Even if just manslaughter, even if it was just say it was an accidental death would have been understandable, but nothing at all? THAT is bullshit.

Simply put, America is afraid of young, black teenage males. The idea that Zimmerman was "defending" himself only fits into the stereotype of black men being inherently dangerous. If it were a lanky 6'1" white kid from buttfuck Iowa? NOBODY would believe Zimmerman was honestly defending himself

Quote:

It's reasonable to accept someone to understand that if you assault someone in a serious way its possible that they are going to react badly and hurt you back!

Is it reasonable to pick a fight you can't win so then you shoot your way out it?

[quote]

Quote:

And why do you want to pretend that the BLACKNESS of Martin should be a thing here? There are white robbers creeping around neighbourhoods aswell.

YOU REALIZE THAT TRAYVON WASN'T A ROBBER RIGHT? YOU REALIZE HE WAS WALKING HOME RIGHT? YOU REALIZE THAT PEOPLE ONLY BELIEVE HE WAS A ROBBER BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK RIGHT? How is walking home creeping? I walk. I don't have a car. I'm never "creeping" around, but if I were black perhaps that is EXACTLY how you may describe it, funny (well not really) how that works isn't it.

Quote:

So you're saying, if you got a call from your friend saying 'there's an escaped mental patient whose psychotic and violent and was last seen in your backyard'

AND WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT HAVE TO DUDE WITH A BLACK TEENAGER?

Quote:
But I strongly suspect that when you talk about structural racism what you are really saying is 'a lot of white people' whom you want to blame for their not being an equal or greater number of black people in these positions. And you don't want there to be ANY other reason for that other than white people oppressing them. It's too simplistic a narrative. It hasn't actually worked all that well, since the ghettos and poverty and lower rates of life expectancy are still there.

Nope. I am familiar with structural racism directly, its not some kind of liberal talking point, its not politics, its the reality of America. Its too complicated to explain to you here, and further, I really don't feel I need to. Again, you don't live here. You are analyzing complex socio-cultural and socio-political factors based on what you read in the news. If you live in America, work in America, or go to school in America you have witnessed or experienced structural racism. Its not about "equal representation" because that is a mathematical impossibility, its about equal treatment. In schools, courts, and jobs black and brown people are NOT treated equally, and sometimes not even respectfully, on a daily basis. You either see it obviously in front of your face, or you don't, but again, I DON'T TRUST ANYBODY who thinks otherwise, because their either stupid, bullshitting, or both

Old 07.15.2013, 12:02 PM   #25
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

dead_battery, sometimes your a real pain in the ass, shit sometimes I'M a real pain in the ass too, but honestly, this "self-defense" shit honestly passes the smell test for you? I've read a lot of your more intelligent posts, how can you not smell this bullshit?

By the way, sorry in advance if it seems I am lashing out against you, I probably am, this shit has me pretty upset, and unfortunately I've been essentially barking at anybody who even remotely defends Zimmerman. Its just how I feel to the core and essence of my being, and even a year and half ago we ALL knew Zimmerman was going to walk, so in reality its people's reactions and comments that have me the most upset and disappointed, not the verdict itself. In a backwards, racist, and corrupt nation like the US we've come to expect, even anticipate situations like this. It quite literally happens everyday. However, when so many people can't seem to see what is right in front of the rest of our faces, that is cause for alarm.

Old 07.15.2013, 12:21 PM   #26
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Your argument rests on the assumption that Zimmerman would have reacted differently had their been a white person pummeling the shit out of him. But he's not thinking about stereotypes as the fists are coming down on him.

OK - so "america is afraid of young black teenage males"

But isn't there a reason for this that isn't just racism?

Here, watch me put it in explicitly anti racist terms:

"Due to the inherent structural inequality of American life, young black males are particularly vulnerable to crime and violence. A combination of low income and short life expectancy means that blah blah blah"

The problem with this thinking is that it takes away ANY agency and expectation that they have to break with the trends and aim to better themselves. It's not your fault because you're oppressed, so you can't help it. We don't expect you to be any better anyway. This is another way of saying you should accept these low standards because noone will understand you otherwise. But Americans feel guilty and need blacks, who didn't take slaves and were brought there against their will, to redeem them by proving that America is different from all the other violent parts of the world and a place where the individual can use his freedom to transcend realities outside of their control.

It seems like blacks in America are stuck in a schizophrenic maze they cant get out of. Its not their fault. Your approach does not appear to me to be enough to stop this. And I don't believe Zimmerman was racist for one minute.
Old 07.15.2013, 12:25 PM   #27
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
dead_battery, sometimes your a real pain in the ass, shit sometimes I'M a real pain in the ass too, but honestly, this "self-defense" shit honestly passes the smell test for you? I've read a lot of your more intelligent posts, how can you not smell this bullshit?

By the way, sorry in advance if it seems I am lashing out against you, I probably am, this shit has me pretty upset, and unfortunately I've been essentially barking at anybody who even remotely defends Zimmerman. Its just how I feel to the core and essence of my being, and even a year and half ago we ALL knew Zimmerman was going to walk, so in reality its people's reactions and comments that have me the most upset and disappointed, not the verdict itself. In a backwards, racist, and corrupt nation like the US we've come to expect, even anticipate situations like this. It quite literally happens everyday. However, when so many people can't seem to see what is right in front of the rest of our faces, that is cause for alarm.

ok - fair enough. i dont experience these realities so i dont know. there's obviously problems here too complex and emotional for mere ideals to solve.

i dont smell bs here because i saw from the start that people wanted this to fit a pre made narrative - evil white racist shoots defenceless black innocent - it would have served their agenda (which is not inherently bad!). it could have been the jump start that the Obama liberals needed to get some action on gun control back on the table.

but it was a fumble. the narrative wrote itself in peoples minds and it turned out not to be what they thought it was. i get why they got carried away.

and at the end of all of this the actual racists and gun toting maniacs have nothing to worry about, and a young man is dead. it's not a happy story.
Old 07.15.2013, 12:31 PM   #28
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
ok - fair enough. i dont experience these realities so i dont know. there's obviously problems here too complex and emotional for mere ideals to solve.

Now that my friend is the Gospel Truth of the matter.

Quote:

i dont smell bs here because i saw from the start that people wanted this to fit a pre made narrative - evil white racist shoots defenceless black innocent - it would have served their agenda (which is not inherently bad!). it could have been the jump start that the Obama liberals needed to get some action on gun control back on the table.

But in the end, that is what happened.

Quote:
but it was a fumble. the narrative wrote itself in peoples minds and it turned out not to be what they thought it was. i get why they got carried away.
I'd argue differently, but after 430 years its a broken record.

Quote:
and at the end of all of this the actual racists and gun toting maniacs have nothing to worry about, and a young man is dead. it's not a happy story.

Amen

Old 07.15.2013, 12:42 PM   #29
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Your argument rests on the assumption that Zimmerman would have reacted differently had their been a white person pummeling the shit out of him. But he's not thinking about stereotypes as the fists are coming down on him.

NO. THAT IS WHERE YOU MISUNDERSTAND HOW RACE PLAYS INTO THIS. We're not accusing Zimmerman of being racist, we're accusing the narrative that "Zimmerman was defending himself justifiably with lethal force" as being racist. It almost has NOTHING to do with Zimmerman personally, more so the aftermath of his terrible decision. If had killed a white teenager, the crime would be the same, but because it was a black kid we have a blame the victim approach dominating the post-verdict narrative.

Quote:

OK - so "america is afraid of young black teenage males"

But isn't there a reason for this that isn't just racism?

NOPE, none what-so-ever. It is by definition racism to target, stereotype, or profile a race of individuals. There are plenty of candyass black teenage males out there, and even they'd be blamed if it were them in place of Trayvon. Hell, Trayvon could have been the one getting "pounded on the ground" and many people would probably STILL defend Zimmerman because, you know, those blacks and all their quite dangerous

Quote:

Here, watch me put it in explicitly anti racist terms:

"Due to the inherent structural inequality of American life, young black males are particularly vulnerable to crime and violence. A combination of low income and short life expectancy means that blah blah blah"

That is not accurate. Teenagers universally get into trouble. When they are black? Their punishments are often excessive and retaliatory. When its white kids committing petty crimes, its a "boys will be boys" approach whereas when black teens do the same silly kid shit, its "throw the book at em" Look at the sentencing history, black men often get twice if not ten times the sentence lengths as whites for the same crimes and scenarios. This is not an exaggeration, it is a statistical fact of the structural racism of the "justice" system.

Quote:

The problem with this thinking is that it takes away ANY agency and expectation that they have to break with the trends and aim to better themselves. It's not your fault because you're oppressed, so you can't help it.

Again, now you just don't know what you are talking about. You are bordering on the myth of meritocracy promoted by the Republican trickle-down-theorist elites. We don't expect black men to be criminals, but in this society black folks do not receive equitable pay, equitable education opportunities, and yes, the privilege which so many white people have had, to get a slap on the wrist every once in a while. PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES. Unfortunately, in America black folks are unfairly penalized for their mistakes whereas other people are often assisted, forgiven, and forgotten.

Quote:
But Americans feel guilty and need blacks, who didn't take slaves and were brought there against their will, to redeem them by proving that America is different from all the other violent parts of the world and a place where the individual can use his freedom to transcend realities outside of their control.

Americans don't feel guilty, and they shouldn't have too. Its not about repaying for slavery 200 years ago, its about addressing the current inequalities in education, the legal system, and policy as well as social interaction.

Quote:
It seems like blacks in America are stuck in a schizophrenic maze they cant get out of. Its not their fault. Your approach does not appear to me to be enough to stop this. And I don't believe Zimmerman was racist for one minute.

What is my approach exactly? My approach is calling it out. That is the first step. If you don't openly acknowledge a problem, there is ZERO opportunity to address and solve it.

Old 07.15.2013, 12:56 PM   #30
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

OK - but do you want judicial sentencing to be EQUALIZED so that whites get the same bullshit life sentences for weed (exaggeration i know but you get my point) that whites do?

that is not the answer. "y'all" have a quasi slave state running in your prisons, lock em up and get em to perform menial labour for pennies.

i DO NOT believe that anti racism is strong enough a concept to fight against the human tendency to exploit others for profit.

the entire left IMO is paralyzed by trying to apply this anti racist heuristic to everything. its not something that can be abandoned - ultimately i am pessimistic for a reason only the far right would dare express - i dont think things will get much better for blacks until they are the majority. and if whites were the minority i dont think things would really get better for them until the pendulum swung back the other way.

equality is a problem here. we can all be equally screwed over by the system. i dont think its threatened by the call to stop using race as an excuse for oppression. i think its very comfortable talking about race, but never CLASS.

anyway, we are talking in circles here. i dont see how anti racist struggles have necessarily solved the problems that we've had for centuries. the problem is ingrained in modernity and its not going to be solved by any of the ideas that caused it.

when the demographics change, then we'll see what happens.
Old 07.15.2013, 01:09 PM   #31
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
OK - but do you want judicial sentencing to be EQUALIZED so that whites get the same bullshit life sentences for weed (exaggeration i know but you get my point) that whites do?

No. The opposite. We want the "justice" system to acknowledge the racism inherent to the system and begin to retroactively commute sentences and change sentencing policies for the future towards equality.

Quote:

that is not the answer. "y'all" have a quasi slave state running in your prisons, lock em up and get em to perform menial labour for pennies.

Agreed, and part of the prison-industrial complex is the inherent structural racism which thrives on the black and brown male as the new slave. It is the DIRECT legacy of convict-labor and vagrancy laws of the early-20th century South. They quite literally CRIMINALIZED simply being black, and now we are dealing with the structural consequences of 60-75 years of that shit.

Quote:
i DO NOT believe that anti racism is strong enough a concept to fight against the human tendency to exploit others for profit.

Considering what we ended slavery AND chased away Jim Crow I think history disagrees with you.

Quote:

the entire left IMO is paralyzed by trying to apply this anti racist heuristic to everything. its not something that can be abandoned - ultimately i am pessimistic for a reason only the far right would dare express -

That is why its not about partisan politics or even the current political machinery. Its about grass roots, everyday people changing their MIND and then their BEHAVIOR and this will change the inequities and iniquities of American structural racism.

Quote:
i dont think things will get much better for blacks until they are the majority.

Well, that will never happen so we need to work a different way. I prefer to build on what worked in the past, which was the advocacy and policy shifting efforts of the abolitionists who Frederick Douglass called the greatest generation of whites ever on the earth, and the later Civil Rights' movement.

Quote:
equality is a problem here. we can all be equally screwed over by the system. i dont think its threatened by the call to stop using race as an excuse for oppression. i think its very comfortable talking about race, but never CLASS.

The problem in America is race and class are intertwined like in medieval India. Being black and brown IS a lower class, and there are accompanying economic and educational gaps that are embedded structurally around race. When we eliminate THAT, then we can begin to disassemble the class distinctions in America. However that is also a tall order, because America THRIVES on class distinction, it is the American way to be better than your neighbor.

Quote:

anyway, we are talking in circles here. i dont see how anti racist struggles have necessarily solved the problems that we've had for centuries.

We are, but its been a good discussion all the same. How did anti-racist struggles NOT solve problems? 150 years black people were fucking slaves, and half the country fought the bloodiest war in our history to preserve that. Then later, Jim Crow had black folks shackled in poverty and victimized routinely by violence and even death (lynching. Now? Those are not quite a distant memory, but this is not 1956, there has been miraculous progress, which is hope we can build on for a better future so long as we keep up the fight, never backing down to the pains of internal nihilism.

Old 07.15.2013, 01:13 PM   #32
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
"Murder" is a very specific charge. It would entail the prosecution proving that Z-Man had "malice aforethought" when he set out to confront Trayvon. That is a big difference to trying Z-dog for manslaughter.
Old 07.15.2013, 01:24 PM   #33
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
No. The opposite. We want the "justice" system to acknowledge the racism inherent to the system and begin to retroactively commute sentences and change sentencing policies for the future towards equality.

Agreed, and part of the prison-industrial complex is the inherent structural racism which thrives on the black and brown male as the new slave. It is the DIRECT legacy of convict-labor and vagrancy laws of the early-20th century South. They quite literally CRIMINALIZED simply being black, and now we are dealing with the structural consequences of 60-75 years of that shit.

Considering what we ended slavery AND chased away Jim Crow I think history disagrees with you.

That is why its not about partisan politics or even the current political machinery. Its about grass roots, everyday people changing their MIND and then their BEHAVIOR and this will change the inequities and iniquities of American structural racism.

Well, that will never happen so we need to work a different way. I prefer to build on what worked in the past, which was the advocacy and policy shifting efforts of the abolitionists who Frederick Douglass called the greatest generation of whites ever on the earth, and the later Civil Rights' movement.

The problem in America is race and class are intertwined like in medieval India. Being black and brown IS a lower class, and there are accompanying economic and educational gaps that are embedded structurally around race. When we eliminate THAT, then we can begin to disassemble the class distinctions in America. However that is also a tall order, because America THRIVES on class distinction, it is the American way to be better than your neighbor.

We are, but its been a good discussion all the same. How did anti-racist struggles NOT solve problems? 150 years black people were fucking slaves, and half the country fought the bloodiest war in our history to preserve that. Then later, Jim Crow had black folks shackled in poverty and victimized routinely by violence and even death (lynching. Now? Those are not quite a distant memory, but this is not 1956, there has been miraculous progress, which is hope we can build on for a better future so long as we keep up the fight, never backing down to the pains of internal nihilism.

ok you win - i dont even know enough to comment on this stuff, but i assume all of that is correct.
Old 07.15.2013, 02:14 PM   #34
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
they should have gone for manslaughter charge, not murder. murder is very specific and much harder to "prove"

they may still do so

EXACTLY!

Too often, Prosecutors "select cases" based on the election year cycle and what sort of notoriety it can bring them / their election campaign instead of what evidence they have and what they can prove.

I've heard legal minds state this case wouldn't have been prosecuted in the majority of Florida counties......or if it was, a lesser charge of manslaughter (as Rob pointed out above) would have been sought.

The truth is, there is NO getting around the law. What happened before hand honestly doesn't matter.

Example: you could have a Klu Klux Klan member dressed in his robe screaming nigger to a black guy walking down the street. At this point, the Klan member could be charged with several things: inciting a rite, hate crime, ect. Now, if the black man approaches the Klan member and threatens him or starts to assault him and the Klan member is in fear for his well being or life, then, in the state of Florida (and Texas), an individual has the right to self defense including deadly force. The fact that the Klan member was breaking multiple laws before hand has NOTHING to do with his right of self defense.

The jury had only one thing to consider......at the moment just before Zimmerman pulled the trigger, was it normal to think he was in fear of his well being or life. If the jury unanimously agreed to this point, their ONLY option was Not Guilty.

Make no doubt about it, justice was served. The Grand Jury handed down an incitement, Zimmerman was arrested, the Prosecution presented it's evidence and Zimmerman was found Not Guilty by a Jury of his peers.

Just because some don't agree with the outcome doesn't mean Justice wasn't served. Just because something tragic happens doesn't mean a crime was committed.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2013, 03:02 PM   #35
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
"Murder" is a very specific charge. It would entail the prosecution proving that Z-Man had "malice aforethought" when he set out to confront Trayvon. That is a big difference to trying Z-dog for manslaughter.

Again, the (1) prosecution, (2) the judge, and even the (3) defense repeatedly explained and offered the manslaughter conviction as a lesser charge. It was not like the jury didn't know anything about that. Its what makes it all the more a travesty.

Old 07.15.2013, 03:05 PM   #36
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Thank You
Old 07.15.2013, 03:13 PM   #37
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I've heard legal minds state this case wouldn't have been prosecuted in the majority of Florida counties......or if it was, a lesser charge of manslaughter (as Rob pointed out above) would have been sought.
Firstly, its not surprisingly at all that in multiple counties in Florida this case wouldn't have been prosecuted, for the obvious history of race relations in Florida (which lead the South in lynchings in the 1920s,1930s, and even 1940s)..

Quote:

Example: you could have a Klu Klux Klan member dressed in his robe screaming nigger to a black guy walking down the street. At this point, the Klan member could be charged with several things: inciting a rite, hate crime, ect. Now, if the black man approaches the Klan member and threatens him or starts to assault him and the Klan member is in fear for his well being or life, then, in the state of Florida (and Texas), an individual has the right to self defense including deadly force. The fact that the Klan member was breaking multiple laws before hand has NOTHING to do with his right of self defense.

That is not a fair analogy, because while the Klansman would be inciting violence, Zimmerman admittedly provoked it more directly. Again, this whole veiled "self-defense" argument is shallow and naive at best, vindictive and accusing against Trayvon Martin at worst.

Quote:
The jury had only one thing to consider......at the moment just before Zimmerman pulled the trigger, was it normal to think he was in fear of his well being or life. If the jury unanimously agreed to this point, their ONLY option was Not Guilty.

That is not fair. The jury should be considering the entirety of the scenario, including Zimmerman's own complicity with the altercation and subsequent death.

Quote:
Make no doubt about it, justice was served. The Grand Jury handed down an incitement, Zimmerman was arrested, the Prosecution presented it's evidence and Zimmerman was found Not Guilty by a Jury of his peers.

Just when I thought we were becoming sort of friends, you have to reiterate that boneheaded statement. I'm sorry to say this, but I am totally losing respect for you if you sincerely believe that anything remotely resembling "justice" was served. Shame on you

Quote:
Just because some don't agree with the outcome doesn't mean Justice wasn't served. Just because something tragic happens doesn't mean a crime was committed.

No sir, that is EXACTLY what it means, and so long as white, Southerners like yourself fail to realize this, it will always be a problem and folks like myself will always be nervous for our safety. I can't possibly understand why you feel and believe the way you do, and I don't want to be scathing and accuse you of being a vitriolic racist, but clearly you have a problem if you can't see the Truth right in front of your face. At least dead_battery conceded that by not being an American, he doesn't have any experience with our particular flavor of racism and injustice, and so he openly backed off rightfully expressing a lack of proper understanding. You? You damn well know better or at least you should

Old 07.15.2013, 03:32 PM   #38
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bla Bla Bla - can't you come up with something sensible?

Your furious rants about everything being racist is truly becoming a bore.

I was speaking about matters of the Law......the way laws are written, enforced and upheld.

Again, to me, there is NO DOUBT about it - Justice was served! Indited, evidence presented and the jury reached an agreement.

You see, Justice would have been equally as served if he was found Guilty. NOT because the verdict was different......because the process was the same.

Black on Black crime is at an all time high in America. Everyday, TODAY (probably as I type), black on black crime is taking place. Guess what, the same is true for Caucasians and Hispanics (just not at the same rate as Black on Black).
Old 07.15.2013, 03:41 PM   #39
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Whatever Bytor. The "law" in this case was bullshit.

The outcome and more particularly the sentiments of people who support Zimmerman was/is racist.

Your lame ass believing it was justice is offensive.

Quote:
"They want, us to pretend like nothing's wrong.. to live in foolish ignorance, we can't pretend like nothing's wrong, not to defend right?"

I don't care if you think the racism card is a dead horse, its simply not, and people can pretend and imagine an America that doesn't exist all they'd like, but I reside in the real life of America, and simply put, this country is still very racist, and there is a lot of work to do, and you as my compatriot have one of only two options. You can either (1) support the cause of equality and mutual respect between ALL Americans or (2) continue to pretend shit is perfectly reasonable, the courts are "fair", and be an obstructionist and in that case GET OUT OF MY WAY

Old 07.15.2013, 04:01 PM   #40
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Quote:

The outcome and more particularly the sentiments of people who support Zimmerman was/is racist.

Supporting the process, regardless of the outcome = Honor & Justice For All!

Quote:
I don't care if you think the racism card is a dead horse

Sadly, racism is a horse that will never die......especially when the black community gives very little thought or concern about black on black crime.

Screaming outrage when a Hispanic kills a black person and barley raising a whimper when a black person kills another black person.....?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth