Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page new Earth LP in Feb.!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.20.2011, 03:35 AM   #21
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
anybody know of/have any links to live recordings of Earth or maybe even some of Dylan's solo gigs? I should rip and upload my split Earth/Tribes of Neurot 7in. I got at New Years Eve gig in SF a year or two ago.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2011, 01:01 PM   #22
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
The official word will be next week, they'll confirm the date.

Lunario posted a date already on Twitter, and they said they'll be playing with the Melvins, same show.

I just now saw that. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to catch the info.

Didn't like the last Melvins album, but judging by the live recordings, it all makes sense in a live setting. I was very skeptical about the rumors. Now i'm very happy.

I'm gonna starve myself to death in order to save enough money to catch as many shows as possible this year. There's gonna be a lot of potentially amazing shows in March, and i really would kill to be there.

hirsute_biped, i have a few Earth live recordings, mostly from 2007 and 2008, i'll try to upload some and post them to the bootlegs thread in the next few days.
Old 01.31.2011, 02:00 AM   #23
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Earth's new album "Angels of Darkness, Demons Of Light 1" is streaming now at NPR's website:
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/30/133245...ons-of-light-1

I'm listening to "Old Black" at the moment just to get a taste of the new sounds, gotta wait for the actual release to really crank it.

Tomorrow i should get my ticket for their show in Mexico City in March with the Melvins. Should be a fun performance...
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2011, 01:58 AM   #24
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
They are doing a live on the Radio thing at KEXP, to be archived and streamed for two weeks following!

http://www.myspace.com/events/View/9...th-on-903-KEXP

http://www.kexp.org/programming/prog...-1&256=40580-2

Now someone please capture and share this, or tell me the best way to do it on Mac OS 10.4.1 w/ Safari w/out buying expensive software. Thanks

Rappard, I will be craving to hear your live recordings once they are made. Everyone else should record them too.

I wish there was a site for Earth equivalent to the care and detail that has gone into the SY pages, with gearography, concert chronology, an associated ukontos-like live archive, etc...
Old 02.08.2011, 03:18 AM   #25
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
They are doing a live on the Radio thing at KEXP, to be archived and streamed for two weeks following!

http://www.myspace.com/events/View/9...th-on-903-KEXP

http://www.kexp.org/programming/prog...-1&256=40580-2

Now someone please capture and share this, or tell me the best way to do it on Mac OS 10.4.1 w/ Safari w/out buying expensive software. Thanks

Rappard, I will be craving to hear your live recordings once they are made. Everyone else should record them too.

I wish there was a site for Earth equivalent to the care and detail that has gone into the SY pages, with gearography, concert chronology, an associated ukontos-like live archive, etc...
Install Firefox + DownloadHelper. Is the stream available already? Then I'll grab it at work.

And yeah, they're perfectly cool with taping and (far more importantly) put on a really good live show, so you'd be a fool to miss them.

I really liked Don McGreevy's bass playing, but Karl Blau is no slouch either - curious to see/hear what the new band will sound like. Are they bringing the cellist (forgot her name) on tour?

rappard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2011, 01:32 PM   #26
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

The cellist's name is Lori Goldston, and yeah, she is, in fact, a member of Earth's line-up when playing live and, apparently her work is very prominent in the new album as well (i haven't listened to it yet).

Earth's line-up according to their facemook page:

Dylan Carlson (guitar)
Adrienne Davies (drums)
Lori Goldston (cello)
Angelina Baldoz (bass)

So, i guess that means we won't be seeing Karl Blau on bass either...

Probably it doesn't matter too much, but the reviews for this album so far have been positive. Here's pitchfork's:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...ns-of-light-1/
Old 02.08.2011, 02:42 PM   #27
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
The cellist's name is Lori Goldston, and yeah, she is, in fact, a member of Earth's line-up when playing live and, apparently her work is very prominent in the new album as well (I haven't listened to it yet).
Awesome on both counts!

[snip]

Quote:
So, I guess that means we won't be seeing Karl Blau on bass either...
Pity. Well, no point in getting greedy, is there? ;-)

Quote:
Probably it doesn't matter too much, but the reviews for this album so far have been positive. Here's Pitchfork's:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...ns-of-light-1/
Does anybody (except 20-year old hipsters) actually read BitchDork nowadays?

Good interview here, discussing the gestation of the new album and (sadly) health problems:
http://thequietus.com/articles/05659...arth-interview

Old 02.08.2011, 07:26 PM   #28
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappard
Install Firefox + DownloadHelper. Is the stream available already? Then I'll grab it at work.

And yeah, they're perfectly cool with taping and (far more importantly) put on a really good live show, so you'd be a fool to miss them.

I really liked Don McGreevy's bass playing, but Karl Blau is no slouch either - curious to see/hear what the new band will sound like. Are they bringing the cellist (forgot her name) on tour?

This show has not yet happened, but will happen feb 27th, and stream for two weeks following. I havn't used Firefox before, I should check it out I guess, maybe it's free?. I wish I had recorded their show in LA a few months ago. Really good & Lori was there. I really liked Steve Moore's contribution on keys, trombone, and electric tamboura box on Hex, Hibernaculum, Bees, and Radio Earth. I hope he plays with them again. And whoever it was playing pedal steel on Hex. If I was a rich man, I would buy Dylan a B-bender.
Old 02.08.2011, 07:34 PM   #29
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Awesome on both counts!

[snip]

Pity. Well, no point in getting greedy, is there? ;-)

Does anybody (except 20-year old hipsters) actually read BitchDork nowadays?

Good interview here, discussing the gestation of the new album and (sadly) health problems:
http://thequietus.com/articles/05659...arth-interview

wow, that interview was both exciting and saddening. dylan solo acoustic would be rad. i hope he overcomes his health challenges, liver damage doesn't sound good. curse of the junk. one of my favorite bands, i hope they don't stop playing/touring.
Old 02.09.2011, 04:22 AM   #30
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
wow, that interview was both exciting and saddening. dylan solo acoustic would be rad. i hope he overcomes his health challenges, liver damage doesn't sound good. curse of the junk. one of my favorite bands, i hope they don't stop playing/touring.
I was thinking the exact same thing ("curse of the ex-junkie", really) - last time I saw them (2008) Dylan looked and moved like an old man.

Re the 02/27 stream: I'm sure I'll have forgotten when the date rolls around, so shoot me a PM when it's available and I'll grab it for you.

Old 02.09.2011, 04:30 AM   #31
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I wish I had recorded their show in LA a few months ago. Really good & Lori was there.
What's the date and venue? I know a fellow taper who might have recorded it.

Quote:
I would buy Dylan a B-bender.
Good idea - http://www.kickstarter.com/! I'll pledge $20. And no, I'm not being facetious.

Old 02.12.2011, 12:11 AM   #32
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

from their myspace page:

Dylan Carlson Solo Show
Tuesday, February 22 at 7:00 PM
Artist: EARTH
Sonic Boom Records
2209 NW Market St
Seattle, WA 98107 UNITED STATES -

who do we have in Seattle who we can get to record?

The LA show was at the Echoplex, not sure of the date...
Old 02.15.2011, 04:40 AM   #33
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Mike Ziegler lives in Seattle, and he has been very committed to document the music that thrives in the area. We can only hope he will be able to attend and tape. If it happens, a torrent of his recording showing up at dimeadozen would be a strong possibility.

By the way, thanks for that link, rappard. I wasn't aware of Dylan Carlson's health problems, and it really sucked to find that out. Interesting article, regardless.

Speaking of the bitchdork thing, yeah. Lame rag. Earth showed a slight, and most likely, meaningless bit of satisfaction from the rating they got for the new record, though. Dylan also conceded an interview in which he spoke somewhat candidly about some records he enjoys, or have enjoyed:
http://pitchfork.com/news/41370-5-10...dylan-carlson/

I'm not Pitchfork's advocate, by the way. Fuck them!

hirsute_biped, maybe the date you are referring to, is Tuesday, April 20, 2010? I did a Google search and came across this:

http://www.last.fm/event/1443348+Ear...+20+April+2010

Yeah, that was it. Gosh, was that April? I thought it was sometime last fall, my sense of time is all messed up. I'm not on dime, so maybe I'll put in a request for a re-up to another zone if and when the time comes. I saw that article linked here, t'was pretty cool.
Old 02.15.2011, 05:21 AM   #34
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Mike Ziegler lives in Seattle, and he has been very committed to document the music that thrives in the area. We can only hope he will be able to attend and tape. If it happens, a torrent of his recording showing up at dimeadozen would be a strong possibility.
[snip]
Asked him, his reply:
"I am more than likely attending the show."

Old 02.15.2011, 09:00 AM   #35
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i love this record. i think recent psychedelic western earth has surpassed old drone earth.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2011, 10:22 AM   #36
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
honestly, they've just gotten better and better since they've come back.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2011, 03:23 PM   #37
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Asked him, his reply:
"I am more than likely attending the show."

Awesome! I will request a non-dime link when the time comes.

yeah, post-hiatus Earth > pre-hiatus Earth
Old 02.18.2011, 07:22 PM   #38
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

New LP now available for oder from southern lord! (www.southernlord.com), I just ordered the red swirly vinyl!

plus I just found this page on Karl Blau's blog ("Blaug") with a live track each from Lori and Earth: http://www.kelplunacy.com/blaugs/blaugpast20.html
Old 02.18.2011, 07:41 PM   #39
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Thanks for those links! Not sure if i'd order anything ever again from Southern Lord's website, but it really makes me happy to know this is finally out there, now i just got to have some patience to order this as soon as it is available for order somewhere else.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 08:09 PM   #40
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
The link doesn't work for me : O
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth