Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Am I the only one that does not like CD-Rs? (or a question of packaging)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.01.2008, 04:37 PM   #1
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I don't like burned CDs. I have no problems with downloading and listening albums as MP3s. I have a lot of them on my computer, and I always end up buying them one day or the other. But I don't like burning my downloaded albums on CD-Rs, even if they're out of print or whatever. I can't really explain why - I just feel strange about it. And I know that I won't ever listen to a burned CD - whereas I often listen to MP3 albums.

I think that's because the MP3 is totally decontextualised from the whole packaging: that's just a MP3 folder - even if it has the cover art on it. With the burned CD, you have an object - but I feel like it's not the real thing. I prefer having the whole packaging when I have an object.

Do you get my point? Do you feel the same about burned CDs (or asked differently: am I a psychomaniac)? Or more generally, what is your relation to packaging?
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Twat.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 04:39 PM   #3
al shabbray

you speak from the bottom of my heart. I hate them and I tread them like shit. I only burn them to listen on my stereo, but if I like the music I will buy it, and if I dont like it I will trash them, anyway.
hate cdrs!!!! love originals love vinyls even more
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 04:41 PM   #4
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I don't care too much. It's all music in the end.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 04:42 PM   #5
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm, I personally can't listen to an album on a computer unless I have it on a physical format, even if it is just a CD-R. For me a CD-R is just an inbetween compromise, between deciding I need to hear it and actually getting around to buying it. I don't agree that a collection of MP3s feels more like the real thing than a CD-R, I always print off artwork to go with my CD-Rs though...

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 04:44 PM   #6
al shabbray

I cant say why self printed cover artworks and self burned cdrs doesnt satisfy me, but they just dont. and yes somehow I want to pay the artist for what he did. especially when it comes to smaller releases.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 04:47 PM   #7
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
I don't agree that a collection of MP3s feels more like the real thing than a CD-R, I always print off artwork to go with my CD-Rs though...
That's somewhat my point: a collection of MP3s does not feel at all like the real thing. You just have the music and when you buy the CD you truly have more. I've bought CDs that I already had as CD-R in the past, and it's nearly as if I had the album twice...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
My experience has been that CD-R releases tend to be on lowest-quality CDs, and although you get the odd masterpiece, lower-quality artwork. I haven't, in principle, got a problem, but in practice a CD burnt on low-quality software (which may well be top-spec for home users) doesn't seem to stand up very long in Glice Towers. This is largely to do with my shocking disregard for CDs, but I find a professional pressing will just need a bit of a clean to make it not completely fucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 04:58 PM   #9
al shabbray

but when it comes to quality than some labels compress the fuck out of their releases just for volume.
quality>volume
then I prefer the self burned (from the artist) albums, which is indeed another story
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 05:18 PM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'd be surprised if many of the over-compressing labels were the sort of labels that people here were into. Assuming you mean the mastering wars thing?

Interesting thing on that. Last year, I was able to listen to CDs as I worked. I listened to Merzbow at half-volume. Immediately afterwards, I put on Avril Lavigne's second, and I nearly deafened myself. Far too loud. Great, but far too loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 05:24 PM   #11
al shabbray

no I think thats more the case for the majors.
same goes for me as I was struggling to reach the same loudness of some independent myspace artist. I thought that I should at least reach his loudness...then Ive compared my track to a boards of canada (warp) track by accident and I was already louder...it was a good moment for realising NOT to overrate loudness. and I think BoC are a good comparison, if somebody cares about output quality it must be the guys from boards of canada
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 05:26 PM   #12
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
yes i feel the same way. when i burn discs i always use the same ones and the same sleeves so they all look the same. that bothers me a little. i dont want to bother printing out the cover and everything.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 06:08 PM   #13
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I really don't care much about aesthetics of music packaging. CD-Rs are a quick and efficient way to be able to play music that I have in MP3 on a CD player if I do not have the CD release. They are also greater for burning mixes as well as sharing my own tunes. I don't have any hook ups on some notion of "real."
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 06:14 PM   #14
al shabbray

I really prefer the good ol tape over the cdr for mixes, it got more charm and the recording process is something completeley different then puttin a tracklist in 5 minutes together
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 06:20 PM   #15
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
My only CD-Rs are of things that are extremely rare or impossible to find in a "real" format, like certain VU bootlegs and Pussy Galore's Exile on Main St. In any case, they're only a substitute for the "real thing" until the day I find it on LP or CD.
Old 09.01.2008, 06:22 PM   #16
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
OH NO. CD-Rs are less "charming" and don't take as much effort. They obviously suck.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 06:28 PM   #17
al shabbray

^^
exactly
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 06:29 PM   #18
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
just listen to the music and quit bitching. nerds.
Old 09.01.2008, 06:30 PM   #19
al shabbray

^
tssssss
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 06:50 PM   #20
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
CD-Rs suck. It's as simple as that. Case closed.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth