Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal Streaming Review
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.28.2009, 04:39 PM   #141
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
WEB SHERIFF
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208 323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
http://www.websheriff.com

Hi CELTIC,
On behalf of Matador Records and Sonic Youth, we would kindly ask you not to post copies of the “The Eternal” on your site (or any non-preview tracks from the artist’s new album - street date 9th June and Buy-Early-Get-Now exclusive stream from 28th April).

We do appreciate that you are fans of / are promoting Sonic Youth, but the label and artist would greatly appreciate your co-operation in removing your links to the pirate files in question.

Thank you for respecting the artist’s and label’s wishes and, if you / your readers want good quality, non-pirated, preview tracks, “The Eternal Montage” is available for hosting / posting / sharing etc from

Instead Matador would rather you listen to a shitty quality stream and 160kbps mp3 of ST.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 04:41 PM   #142
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

killthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard sucka
Please don´t read this if you haven´t heard the record yet!

1) Sacred trickster – I really like this one. It´s very compact and powerful - but in a clever way. To me it definitely presents an aspect of the band that I haven´t heard before. It´s not like sister, daydream nation, goo, dirty or anything else from “rockier” era.

2) Anti Orgasm - The straight bass drum reminds me a bit of plastic sun from murray street. There´s also a part that sounds like no queen blues from washing machine. To me the first part is a bit boring regular rock. The song is splitted into two main parts (like washing machine from washing machine) and the second part is way better to me. Doesn´t remind of any other SY Song. Maybe It has a bit from of atmosphere on Sonic Nurse.

3) Leaky Lifeboat – Pretty much like a rather ripped song. The structure has some similarities to pink steam. First impression: a bit boring.

4) Antenna- has a real good start. Didn´t like that song when they played it live. But now I like the melodies. Structure still seems some kind of uninspired to me.
“We need to do find a verse and a chorus and then we can lead in a free “jam”. There´s a typical SY Bridge that sounds like they´re ripping of themselves. The last 7 seconds are amazing.

5) What we know - The Opening sequence is really interesting but it leads into some boring rock riffings. There´s some fine noise going on the middle of the song. The main bassline is really boring but when it comes together with the guitar it´s really turns out into something interesting.

6) Calming the snake – And again there´s is a “heard a thousand times before” bassline. The guitar break is just boring and almost every post rock band on this planet is using it. Kim is doing a good “job”. And again there´s a second part in this song – way better than the first one – you could say it´s washing machine like (with a drum fill from pattern recognition) – it´s a typical “Neu!” Part as well.

7) Poison Arrow – Thurston is doing the voices on this track. In my opinion the recording weren´t well done because they sound a bit like they´re glued upon the music. This song is okay… The Chorus is boring as hell again. Bass reminds me of rats from rather ripped.

8) Malibu Gas station – Best song so far. Cool and sweet melodies… Kim is doubling the guitars. Most colourful and varied Song but still not very deep.

9) Thunderclap – Didn´t like it from the montage and I still think that it´s one of the most boring songs I ever heard of SY.

10) No Way – They started the Concert in Düsseldorf with that song. Sounds like a song from the Thurston Moore Solo Record. I like it. Nothing special but also very multifarious. Sounds like the only guitar tuning they´re using on this record is a drop-d. The drumming is excellent. The structure is very classic but it suits the song.

11) walking blue – This is a strange song. The Chorus sounds british to me – The bassline reminds me of blur with there´s no other way. You should check that – it´s funny!

12) massage the history – Massage the history has a beauty atmosphere. But it also reminds me of the Thurston Moore Solo record (is it because of the acoustic guitars)
There´s an interesting cut in the main melody that I still don´t get into. I like that. Kim is singing in the highest pitch I ever noticed. To me there´s no connection to I love you golden blue. There´s a real nice drum fill that they are also using at the end of sympathy for the strawberry. I like it when everything calms down In the middle of the song and gets back to the start. Definitely the most interesting song on the record.

Best Songs: Massage the history, sacred Trickster, No Way, Malibu Gas Station.
But it´s the worst record SY ever made in my opinion and i´m really sorry for that. To be honest it breaks my heart.
killthecaliforniagirls is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 04:48 PM   #143
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Okay done listening to it now. I like it but Rather Ripped is still better. At least Malibu Gas Station and Anti-Orgasm are 5 star songs

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 04:51 PM   #144
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
^^Fecking nutters
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 04:51 PM   #145
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
I'm hearing some NYCG+F style in the new record.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 04:55 PM   #146
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
^^Fecking nutters
Well I'm sorry that it sounds like all they're doing is re-hashing old ideas =o

Old 04.28.2009, 05:02 PM   #147
Schizophrenia
little trouble girl

Schizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's assesSchizophrenia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
Okay done listening to it now. I like it but Rather Ripped is still better.

You're insane

Schizophrenia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:04 PM   #148
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Okay done listening to it now. I like it but Rather Ripped is still better. At least Malibu Gas Station and Anti-Orgasm are 5 star songs

Yr Insane

The only song on Rather Ripped that even is at the same level as The Eternal is Jams Run Free.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:05 PM   #149
summer
stalker

Rather Ripped was at least something new for the band though. The Eternal sounds like they're just doing the same old thing as before. Why would you want that..?

Old 04.28.2009, 05:07 PM   #150
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

killthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard sucka
i´m with you summer.
Old 04.28.2009, 05:09 PM   #151
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
No way. Sure it's definitely a Sonic Youth album, but by no means is it back to form. There is certainly a new direction being forged. Multiple vocalists per song, treating the simple Thurston rock outs with as much respect as their more cerebral pieces, etc.

It's filled with Sonic Youth-isms, but there are a lot of new motifs and textures to it.

I'd argue it brings more new to Sonic Youth's palette than RR. RR just seems like stripped down SY to me. None of the melodies or chord changes seemed all that fresh, they just seemed to be Sonic Youthish. The Eternal musically has a lot new to offer in that respect.
Old 04.28.2009, 05:11 PM   #152
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
I finally got to hear the album after reading about it all day. Amazing...MUCH more solid and consistent than RR.
Old 04.28.2009, 05:14 PM   #153
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Well I'm sorry that it sounds like all they're doing is re-hashing old ideas =o

Since when have they not used old ideas?
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:18 PM   #154
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Thurston's vocals in Antenna are his best in years I think.
Old 04.28.2009, 05:24 PM   #155
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
woah! I really don't know how to describe my feelings. I just like it!
last two songs are my favorites so far. thousands of listens to come......
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:28 PM   #156
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

the point is not that they´re using old ideas... the point is that I (just me) can´t find a single surpassing good SY song. To write records like Murray Street, Washing machine, Sonic Nurse and NYC Ghosts and Flowers you need time. Even as a highly giftet band like sonic youth. i´m sad to say this but they are touring too much (sad because i´d love to see them live so much more often). i have to admit that i like the last free kitten record more than the eternal.
Old 04.28.2009, 05:34 PM   #157
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

I've been listening to it for the past 6 hours! My stereo's loud enough it fills the house when I want it to. Listening to Massaging the History while taking a shower kind of turned me on.
Old 04.28.2009, 05:41 PM   #158
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
impressions from one listen: it's MUCH better than RR, and massage the history is as good as anything they've done in the last 15 years, it's a spine tingler for sure. some songs have some cheesey lyrical & vocal moments (a problem that has plagued all their records in the 00s), but over all a pretty decent LP.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:45 PM   #159
mysonichaircut
children of satan

mysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's asses
some songs, like sacred trickster, sound as if they were trying to cover themselves, right. and some sound as if they were covering some of those bands combing their hair into their eyes and fixing it with hairspray. but - some have a complete new sound and songwriting stile, like "massage the history", "poison arrow" and "malibu gas station" - i like that. its really ... fresh. you will like it too ... soon.:-)
mysonichaircut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 05:45 PM   #160
summer
stalker

To all who say it's better than RR, I have to ask, why. What does The Eternal do that is better/different than RR?

Also I'd say Malibu is great just because of that little guitar solo. I was wondering what song that was from in the montage, and when I first heard Malibu I was like this is cool, but when that solo came on and I realized that it was indeed the same song I was pleased. That song seems pretty different and great for Sonic Youth, or maybe it's my Sonic Nurse love showing through.

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth