Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new / most anticipated albums: 2016
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.23.2016, 03:41 PM   #261
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Oh wow, shit! I forgot about this! Thank you!
Just bought the unpronounceable thing. Really liked the song you posted.

ESTOILE NAIANT was one of my favorite albums of 2014, which was really one of the best years for electronic music in recent memory. It was just a really absorbing and unexpectedly excellent record.

Looking forward to giving Ψ (what a title) a bunch of back to back listens.

Don't know jack about this Patten thingumybob, but Ψ is the Greek letter psi, so it's not unpronouceable, I say.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2016, 04:30 PM   #262
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - In Summer

i was really disappointed by this. i know it's supposed to be loose sketches, so it's hard to compare it to his best works. SONGS OF FORGIVENESS is one of the best albums i've ever heard ever. 13 moons is great too. this... maybe i should listen to it again?
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2016, 07:06 PM   #263
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
i was really disappointed by this. i know it's supposed to be loose sketches, so it's hard to compare it to his best works. SONGS OF FORGIVENESS is one of the best albums i've ever heard ever. 13 moons is great too. this... maybe i should listen to it again?

Well, it is just sketches yes, and if you're looking for something like 13 moons, it doesn't even come moderately close. But... I dunno. I just really like Jefre.

It's kind of like the Cheetah EP Aphex Twin dropped this year. Not on the level of the studio albums, or even close, but it wasn't supposed to be. And Jefre is, in my opinion, such a necessary presence in modern music that even his little sketches, like RDJ's single system experiments, are better than most of what's out there.

I think In Summer has some very moving, sweeping, downright beautiful guitar work on it that can't be found in anything else that's out this year. So. Yeah.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2016, 07:08 PM   #264
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Don't know jack about this Patten thingumybob, but Ψ is the Greek letter psi, so it's not unpronouceable, I say.

Oh yeah.
Old 09.26.2016, 05:23 PM   #265
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

This isn't very good. One killer song, a few acceptable ones, and the rest is so boring. Near the end, Frank sounds half asleep.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2016, 03:16 PM   #266
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
This isn't very good. One killer song, a few acceptable ones, and the rest is so boring. Near the end, Frank sounds half asleep.

Told ya...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2016, 09:22 AM   #267
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses

Un salon au fond d'un lac
Marc Baron

beautiful recording
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2016, 09:09 PM   #268
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Told ya...

Wait... were you guys ever expecting anything different?
I love the Pixies. My memory of the Pixies, which died somewhere around 2005. But were you guys actually thinking this album would be good?

I watched that video for the song with the rat and didn't hate it, but I didn't have any expectations.
Old 09.29.2016, 07:19 AM   #269
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it might be good. Why? Because I'm not an asshole.

---

The Pop Group are recording a new album with Hank Shocklee and Dennis 'Blackbeard' Bovell.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/...er=project8654
Old 09.29.2016, 10:38 AM   #270
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I thought it might be good. Why? Because I'm not an asshole

Ah, of course, yes. The old "only assholes have loweee expectations for 2010s Pixies material" rule. That's totally a thing. Silly me.

I asked because it seemed as though a lot of people were looking forward to the album. Moreso than Indy Cindy, which inspired a fair amount of dread if I recall. I was wondering why this was the case. Not because I wanted to be a dick, but because I want the album to be good, and wanted to know how people were getting the impression that it would be.
Old 09.29.2016, 12:17 PM   #271
evollove
invito al cielo

I have no idea what other people thought. For me: It's just that Charles is a fine songwriter and has brought me much pleasure in the past and I thought he might do so again. Perfectly reasonable. Pixies got together in, what was it?, 1985 or something. He's written who knows how many great songs since then and I figured he had a new batch of gold. I was wrong.

btw, do you own any Frank Black records? Just wondering
Old 09.29.2016, 06:30 PM   #272
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have no idea what other people thought. For me: It's just that Charles is a fine songwriter and has brought me much pleasure in the past and I thought he might do so again. Perfectly reasonable. Pixies got together in, what was it?, 1985 or something. He's written who knows how many great songs since then and I figured he had a new batch of gold. I was wrong.

btw, do you own any Frank Black records? Just wondering

Maybe I'm not accurately representing myself here...
I am a Pixies worshipper. For me, as a young buck, they were the perfect band. My love for them predates even my love for Sonic Youth, and like you, they're brought me endless joy.

I just thought that their return to the studio was a bit ill conceived, with losing Kim and all. But I'd love it if their new music was good. And from what I'be heard of Head Carrier (just the one song), it's definitely not terrible.

So I'm not a hater, not trying to hate, not trying to be judgmental. Surfer Rosa and Doolittle and Come on Pilgrim are some of the most important albums of my life. Same with Trompe. And Bossa to a lesser extent. I'm not rooting against them just because Kim's gone, and I was actually a little excited about the interest in Head Carrier.

Yes, I have several Frank Black solo albums. Used to have more. And while I never really fell for them like I did for the Pixies and the Breeders, I certainly have a few that I pull out from time to time, like Teenager of the Year, Frank Black, Cult of Ray, sometimes Dog in the Sand, Black Letter Days, and even Frank Black Francis.

I think some of the magic went out of the Pixies for me after I saw them live. I wish they'd called it good back in '04. But I'm a Pixies lifer.
Old 09.29.2016, 06:38 PM   #273
Severian
invito al cielo

Ok, so HOLY FUCKING SHIT the new Nicolas Jaar album is good. Just... my god. Wow. One listen and I'm almost entirely certain this is the best electronic release of the year. My expectations were high, and I'm still pretty much floored.

In retrospect it seems silly that I ever even bothered to think of Flume's Skin as a contender. Fine album for fun, but it's just boorish silliness compared to this.

SIRENS is a masterpiece.
Old 09.30.2016, 10:03 AM   #274
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
For what it's worth I've listened to Head Carrier 4-5 times now after grabbing the CD earlier today (it's midnight in Australia), and find it absolutely standing up to their back catalogue. Lots of great Frank melodies and vocal deliveries, lots of clever Joey parts.

I find it interesting that a couple of reviews I read made note of there being "too few left-turns", implying they're making more straightforward rock music. I didn't find that at all, I found a lot of the songs very detailed, harmonically adventurous, filled with lots of dropped bars and lead lines that no one but Joey would write over those chords.

I just wish they'd record with an aesthetic closer to Surfer Rosa or a lot of the Frank Black/Black Francis solo albums. That would get so many hacky music journalists off their back... just keep some missed vocal takes in the mix and double Joey's lead lines and pan them Left and Right, like Where is my Mind or Bone Machine and they'll have all the "left turns" they require.

But it would also be a more dynamic and detailed recording to listen to.
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2016, 10:04 AM   #275
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
For what it's worth I've listened to Head Carrier 4-5 times now after grabbing the CD earlier today (it's midnight in Australia), and find it absolutely standing up to their back catalogue. Lots of great Frank melodies and vocal deliveries, lots of clever Joey parts.

I find it interesting that a couple of reviews I read made note of there being "too few left-turns", implying they're making more straightforward rock music. I didn't find that at all, I found a lot of the songs very detailed, harmonically adventurous, filled with lots of dropped bars and lead lines that no one but Joey would write over those chords.

I just wish they'd record with an aesthetic closer to Surfer Rosa or a lot of the Frank Black/Black Francis solo albums. That would get so many hacky music journalists off their back... just keep some missed vocal takes in the mix and double Joey's lead lines and pan them Left and Right, like Where is my Mind or Bone Machine and they'll have all the "left turns" they require.

But it would also be a more dynamic and detailed recording to listen to.
Old 09.30.2016, 10:06 AM   #276
Kuhb
children of satan

Apologies for the double post and only ever posting about Pixies or jazz
Old 10.02.2016, 07:46 PM   #277
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - In Summer
upon 3rd listen, i am liking this a lot more. i couldn't help but notice that "blue nudes" sounds strikingly similar to flying saucer attack. the first 3 tracks are great though.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2016, 09:53 PM   #278
Severian
invito al cielo

Two tracks on SIRENS -- "The Governor" and "Three Sides of Nazareth" -- surprisingly bring to mind Suicide more than just about any other artist.

I really caught the fever with this record. Holy fuck it's amazing.
Old 10.03.2016, 05:42 PM   #279
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I liked Indie Cindy ok.

Havent heard the new one yet. But same as sev, woshipper, pre SY, yada yada
Old 10.03.2016, 05:51 PM   #280
Severian
invito al cielo

Has anyone listened to the new Nicolas Jaar yet? I don't really love making threads about single albums, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to. I can't get this thing out of my head.
111213 14 151617 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth