Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.14.2013, 08:08 PM   #1041
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Eminem dropped a new single, called "Rap God".

he's rapping really fast over a shitty beat, the hook is corny and i can barely understand a word he says. however i must admit that his flow sounds awesome.

here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cQ3b0iqLo
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2013, 09:41 PM   #1042
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Well, as you know, I normally don't give a fuck about any music that affiliates itself with one of two coastal regions (I mean, seriously... Dumbest turf war ever, that. When I think back on it, I just imagine Dre, Snoop, and Pac cupping their mouths to holler insults at Nas, Biggie, Jay-Z, and Wu-Tang (who were too busy fighting amongst themselves to give much of a shit) from three and a half thousand miles away. It's an objectively hilarious image)

(a) it did get ridiculously out of hand, misunderstood, and over hyped, but the roots were legitimate. A lot of rappers from the Eastcoast scenes came to LA. They brought with them their own personal feuds from where they came. The biggest problem was that it wasn't just rap, it was actual gang and drug dealing related beef. In the 1990s, the real street snuck into the rap studios for a brief window. Thank you Ruthless and Death Row Records, both of which never intended to be "big" but were set up as money laundering operations

(b) Rap and hip hop was still bigger in the east than the west in the 1990s, so the biggest shows and TV shit was all on the east, rappers from the west did shows in the east, which gave for opportunities for the beef to be closer than thousands of miles away.

(c) The 1990s rap feuds were as priceless as they were classless. 1990s rap feuds were like when the "it" bands of the 1960s became hotel room destroying drug fiends of the 1970s, or the 1970s supergroups became the drunken flameouts of the glamish 1980s. When you give a bunch of low-lives, drop outs, criminals, drug users, and other kinds of street people access to fame and money its what happens. The 1990s was a great accident, it will never happen again, and we should remember it, and celebrate if we were a part of it. I might be biased.

Quote:
HOWEVER, I like the LA hip hop scene now. I like the epic scope of Kendrick Lamar's coming-of-age Compton thug in good kid, and I like the throwback styles of emcees like K.L. and Schoolboy Q. And lord knows I love me some motherfuckin NWA. Shit on everything they did later in life (save the Chronic), NWA was the beginning and the end of truly magnificent West Coast gangsta rap. Maybe even better than Public Enemy...

Interestingly enough, I think this is LA weakest scene in years. When Odd Future are the flagship, we've got a problem. I think the 1990s was our obvious peak, but we were having a slight uptick when we cliqued up with the Hyphy movement a few years ago.

Quote:

It's a good old fashioned under ground hip hop album, and it reminds me of why I listened to the indie shit exclusively for so long.

I've never heard the term indie applied to hip-hop, has it gotten so mainstream that the term "underground" has lost meaning, or is it indie that has lost?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2013, 11:10 PM   #1043
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
That Em song is plain shit. Sweet, you can rap fast. Who cares when you're spitting a pile of shit over a terrible beat. Has Eminem not been conscious of what's happened in the world since 2004? Columbine, Monica Lewinsky... in 2013? Musically, this song is a regressive, predictable and safe attempt at trying to reclaim Eminem's status as a lyricist. Also, didn't he try to shed his image of a small minded, homophobic hick? The gay bashing proves he'll do anything to make himself seem edgy and make a quick buck.

But whose surprised?

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2013, 03:47 AM   #1044
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
yeah MMLP2 is probably going to suck.
Old 10.16.2013, 07:46 PM   #1045
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.stereogum.com/1525411/a-t...nye-west/news/

This makes me sad for some reason. Tribe should be a solid enough head-liner to be inviting Kanye to open for them, but alas, its not true, and it signifies the true and utter end of the 1990s.

Old 10.17.2013, 06:03 AM   #1046
louder
invito al cielo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0S4zmCO3QE

this really sums up hip-hop in 2013. *dead*
Old 10.17.2013, 06:27 AM   #1047
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0S4zmCO3QE

this really sums up hip-hop in 2013. *dead*

I can't stand YouTube apps, so please explain how the hell you could possibly think HHID in 2013... A year that has brought so many great (or at the very least notable) hip hop albums that it's taken five of us to stay even remotely on top of them all (which we're failing at by the way.. Ha!)

What's this about Tribe?

Sorry gents, it's early and I haven't had a minute to jump on this thread in days.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2013, 06:31 AM   #1048
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
umm, there was no small minded homophobic hick image. that was really him.

man, i hate emenem. hearing that guy pronounce gerne as gener will forever trip me out.

Wait, what? Seriously? That's one of my biggest pet peeves. It's also one of the most hilarious pronunciation errors in history. I can't talk to dumb people about art simply because I can't hear that particular mispronunciation without laughing really hard in the face of whoever said it.

Makes it hard to find people to talk to about art, tell you what.
Old 10.17.2013, 06:33 AM   #1049
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh, I picked up the latest Slum Village, titled Evolution. Apart from some overly disgusting sex songs, it's dope. I can't believe it's taken me this long to buy the thing.
Old 10.17.2013, 08:11 AM   #1050
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
I can't stand YouTube apps, so please explain how the hell you could possibly think HHID in 2013... A year that has brought so many great (or at the very least notable) hip hop albums that it's taken five of us to stay even remotely on top of them all (which we're failing at by the way.. Ha!)
i meant i was dying from laughter. you should've watched the video, it was a parody.
Old 10.17.2013, 06:29 PM   #1051
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
how the fuck is everyone eating up rap god that song is absolute shit

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2013, 07:07 PM   #1052
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland

Cuz people eat up crap rap like dung beetle larvae yo

Old 10.17.2013, 08:40 PM   #1053
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
^^word. i was gonna mention something about people and shit eating. it's amazing how much of the world's population have SHIT taste in music. does it move them? do they get a burst of energy with chill bumps? does it even disturb them? do they dance just to be dancing or does it really make them want to dance with the groove?

I can field this, 4ak:

You see, most grown men and women are essentially just large, obese, alcoholic babies. They become excited and/or lulled by the redundancy of rhythmic sounds and metered percussive beats. Like infants who are distracted into thoughtless mental drifting by the motion of a cradle, the average human adult will always be attracted to music, and because they're so stupid and utterly lacking in meta cognitive awareness, they use words like "like" and "love" to describe their feelings about music, even though it's just a physiological trick to escape the overwhelmingly complex consciousness these poor sluggish little beasts are trapped in. It's just the distraction from things like "thought" and "feeling," (two experiences that are way beyond the understanding of the average adult, adolescent, or geriatric) that keeps people "dancing" and singing along, and buying records.

For these people, listening to Sister in the middle of an acid trip would be physically and mentally dangerous beyond measure. For others, it's a perfect Saturday, or a summary of their twenties.

This is why people "love" bad music: they're dumb, and bad music (also dumb) is a perceptual narcotic. Just count yourself lucky to be one of the few, the proud, the people who take narcotics to escape the pain of others' stupidity, and listen to music to dig deeper into their minds, thoughts, and feelings.
Old 10.17.2013, 11:30 PM   #1054
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
just cuz it's Eminem. Tech N9ne raps fast but if he dropped that song no one would care.

yo i'm going through an ugly breakup atm, and Doggystyle is the only thing that has managed to cheer me up.

i'm wondering how come Dre has never worked on another album for Snoop.
Old 10.18.2013, 10:03 AM   #1055
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
just cuz it's Eminem. Tech N9ne raps fast but if he dropped that song no one would care.

yo i'm going through an ugly breakup atm, and Doggystyle is the only thing that has managed to cheer me up.

i'm wondering how come Dre has never worked on another album for Snoop.

Snoop was all over the Chronic 2001, but that was the last time, and that was years ago. The reality is Dre is a sensitive cat, and didn't realize how over his head he was getting involved with so many gangsters, drug dealers, and various assorted low-lives.

Old 10.18.2013, 10:07 AM   #1056
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I can field this, 4ak:

You see, most grown men and women are essentially just large, obese, alcoholic babies.

I can be quite the societal nihilist but seriously, a bit crass of an analysis there? I don't think people listen to non-substantive music because they are obese or substance abusers, rather, just because most people don't navigate the world with a sense of expansive depth. That is for artists. Many artists enjoy the art of other artists, but we artists shouldn't try and use our own insights to delve into the perspective of ordinary people. They operate on a different level. Besides, if anything, it allows us to not muddy up the pool, we can enjoy substantive art with relative freedom from the obstruction of people with duller tastes.

Old 10.18.2013, 11:10 AM   #1057
louder
invito al cielo

2001 is a mess though. it's an uhm.. singles album, sorta.
Old 10.18.2013, 11:13 AM   #1058
louder
invito al cielo

Dre is working with a dude named Jon Connor nowadays. Dre found him after he dropped a mixtape where he's rapping over a bunch of Eminem instrumentals. Dre's affiliates claim that this time he's in it "not for the money" and just wants to make good music.. we'll see i guess.
Old 10.18.2013, 11:20 AM   #1059
louder
invito al cielo

it seems like Snoop has lost his inspiration right after Doggystyle. what a shame, he used to be a brilliant rapper.
Old 10.18.2013, 11:28 AM   #1060
louder
invito al cielo

i'm wondering if he got the reference.
43505152 53 54555663 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth