Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Omaha Schools now Segregated
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.ketv.com/politics/8673309/detail.html
This may just be rubbish to many of you, but it has gained national attention.

The Nebraska legislature passed a bill today that literally segregates the cities schools. Basically they have split the city into three districts, North Omaha (large black community), South Omaha (a mix of white and hispanics) and West Omaha (lily White suburbia). There in preventing the rich white kids in West Omaha from being exposed to criminal blacks, illegal hispanics and white trash. Absolute paranoia. Shame on my city.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 06:41 PM   #2
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
ugh. just ugh.
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 06:44 PM   #3
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Well, it seems that it's based on location.
I haven't read the article yet; I'm just going by what you've said.
The city segregated itself.
The blacks chose to live with the blacks, the hispanics with hispanics, and white with whites.
It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Let me read the article.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Sure its based on location. But mostly money, and white parents afraid of inner city kids attending their schools.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 07:02 PM   #5
khchris
little trouble girl

khchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud of
It has EVERYTHING to do with geographical location.

I'm moving to Omaha!
khchris is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 07:14 PM   #6
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Sure its based on location. But mostly money, and white parents afraid of inner city kids attending their schools.

can you blame them?

unless we teach our inner-city black youth that a) they are not inherently inferior by mere virtue of the amount of melanin in their skin, and b) that, conversely, neither are they superior for that reason alone, and consequently they deserve no special privileges or different treatment because of the circumstances of their birth -- then, and only then, will we rid ourselves of the scourge of crime, poverty, and lack of education surrounding the black community today, and only then will we honestly be able to live together in peace. we seriously need everyone -- black, white, hispanic, asian, green with pink polka dots -- to understand that they are individuals, and that no one should be treated any differently except in virtue of differences in one's own personal character.

and, by the way, that is the most profoundly ANTI-racist remark anyone could possibly make.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 07:16 PM   #7
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
nicely said, qprogeny
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 07:22 PM   #8
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
but as an self-described Objectivist, qprogeny79, why would you care at all? Honestly, your post sounds rather phony & hollow to me. Now I do believe one should help a drowning man unlike Ayn Rand does. However, if hypothetically, Ayn Rand herself were drowning before my very eyes I would relish the opportunity to stand by & cheer & perhaps dance a jig.

Race is determined by geographical ancestry. The part of race that is culturally instilled will always be there unless true free enterprise, representation & truly equitable justice under the law are restored. On top of that it's going to take time...lots & lots of time. Only then will there be a chance for ignorance & apathy to be overcome.

Let me make it clear that I most definitely am concerned & that what we see happening in Omaha is yet more of the same rotten fruits of puffed-up Republican pride coming to bear.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:11 PM   #9
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Now I do believe one should help a drowning man unlike Ayn Rand does. However, if hypothetically, Ayn Rand herself were drowning before my very eyes I would relish the opportunity to stand by & cheer & perhaps dance a jig.

didn't phil collins write a song about that????
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:19 PM   #10
khchris
little trouble girl

khchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
didn't phil collins write a song about that????

Was it "I don't care anymore"?

I don't think it was "sussudio" but I could be wrong
khchris is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 12:38 AM   #11
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
my painting teacher lived in Omaha when she was young.
Old 04.14.2006, 07:54 AM   #12
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
I was specifically alluding to the urban legend surrounding this song, but sometimes i type things for my own entertainment and i guess i can't expect anyone else to be in on the joke:

"Well, if you told me you were drowning
I would not lend a hand
I've seen your face before my friend
But I don't know if you know who I am
Well, I was there and I saw what you did
I saw it with my own two eyes
So you can wipe off the grin, I know where you've been
It's all been a pack of lies
And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lord
I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, Oh Lord
I can feel it in the air tonight, Oh Lord, Oh Lord
And I've been waiting for this moment all my life, Oh Lord, Oh Lord
Well I remember, I remember don't worry
How could I ever forget, it's the first time, the last time we ever met
But I know the reason why you keep your silence up, no you don't fool me
The hurt doesn't show, but the pain still grows
It's no stranger to you or me
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 09:54 AM   #13
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprogeny79
can you blame them?

unless we teach our inner-city black youth that a) they are not inherently inferior by mere virtue of the amount of melanin in their skin, and b) that, conversely, neither are they superior for that reason alone, and consequently they deserve no special privileges or different treatment because of the circumstances of their birth -- then, and only then, will we rid ourselves of the scourge of crime, poverty, and lack of education surrounding the black community today, and only then will we honestly be able to live together in peace. we seriously need everyone -- black, white, hispanic, asian, green with pink polka dots -- to understand that they are individuals, and that no one should be treated any differently except in virtue of differences in one's own personal character.

and, by the way, that is the most profoundly ANTI-racist remark anyone could possibly make.

Conversly, let's make sure we teach equality to suburban white's too.. and actually practice equality. It's a white power base, so it's vital they get that message.

Segregated schools sucks. It's just wrong.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 01:25 PM   #14
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel
Well, it seems that it's based on location.
I haven't read the article yet; I'm just going by what you've said.
The city segregated itself.
The blacks chose to live with the blacks, the hispanics with hispanics, and white with whites.
It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Let me read the article.

i hardly believe that in these areas anyone is chosing to live in their respective areas. i'm willing to place my money on the notion that the poorer "inner city" inhabitants live where they do because they can't afford to live anywhere else. it is a big deal because it's creating an even larger educational gap between those who attend these higher funded schools with better prepared teachers and those who have coaches to teach every subject (read: ill prepared teachers).
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 02:04 PM   #15
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Amaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud of
i went to middle school (5th and 6th) at a magnet school. it was built in the inner city. the school was predominantly spanish speaking/bilingual (75 %).

it is more commen for kids to attend schools closest to where they live, and often times where people live is segragated, but not always.

i have been to omaha for my flight. i was visiting my boyfriends relatives in sioux city. there are other ethnic groups, too like native americans (often times they prefer to call themselves indians) and asians. it seems most often that these groups are not accounted for.
Amaranth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 02:06 PM   #16
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

The Nebraska legislature passed a bill today that literally segregates the cities schools. Basically they have split the city into three districts, North Omaha (large black community), South Omaha (a mix of white and hispanics) and West Omaha (lily White suburbia). There in preventing the rich white kids in West Omaha from being exposed to criminal blacks, illegal hispanics and white trash. Absolute paranoia. Shame on my city.

quite frankly i am glad. its about time someone did something about those meddling middle class white kids.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 02:13 PM   #17
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Amaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud of
ok, i just read the article. again, this article is making it seem like this never happens, but it happens all of the time, usually because of location of schools and who lives where the schools are built. the problem is much bigger than schools. prisons are soooo segragated, by the choice of the inmates. they segragate theselves. then again those are criminals, so i would imagine the morale is different.

i am sure they could build the schools in a more central location that people from many areas could attend. i am sure there are lots of places schools could be built that everyone could take a bus to. why not?
Amaranth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 02:36 PM   #18
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Before I throw my two cents in, does anyone have more background information on this issue? For example, upon what was the decision to create new districts based?
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 04:09 PM   #19
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
I believe it is based on the notion of segregation as a positive, in that the education system can focus more on the problems of the inner city i.e.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 05:31 PM   #20
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Nobody deserves to be exposed to white trash.

On the serious side, that is pretty ridiculous, but I'm sure it is hugely common.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth