Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Tarot
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.25.2009, 10:13 PM   #61
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Ha ha, SuchFriends, the Tesla of religious matters.
that genuinely made me laugh my ass off.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2009, 12:22 AM   #62
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, it made me feel sober about the subject.

So, good. Now what? I'm broke.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2009, 04:51 AM   #63
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
that genuinely made me laugh my ass off.
In light of that, what do you think about Leo III the Isaurian and iconoclasm? I think it would make for a powerful (and assuredly controversial) movie.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2009, 06:31 AM   #64
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
the tarot was just a kind of mnemonic for the Knights Templars, a code language in picture format to tell their stories, plans, activities and history in secret while under the eye of the Popes and the Medici family.. the whole oracle aspect evolved later in ignorance as "pagan" and "superstitious" traditions were blended with the deck, in the same way we added numbers and shit to playing cards and made card games out of them..

while Im aware of the Gardneresque moulding of pagan traditions(which seems to be what you're talking about), it doesn't mean scyring and using orcales of all kinds did not exist prior to the late 19th/early 20th century.
The author of the waite rider tarot deck was a Freemason. Modern Christianity has borrowed in abundance from ancient pagan ritual. I find it odd that you seem to say the modern day tarot has absolutely no link to its past, but is rather a bastardised version of something completely unrelated.

Sorry if that is not in the slightest what you are suggesting.
Old 05.26.2009, 01:28 PM   #65
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
while Im aware of the Gardneresque moulding of pagan traditions(which seems to be what you're talking about), it doesn't mean scyring and using orcales of all kinds did not exist prior to the late 19th/early 20th century.
The author of the waite rider tarot deck was a Freemason. Modern Christianity has borrowed in abundance from ancient pagan ritual. I find it odd that you seem to say the modern day tarot has absolutely no link to its past, but is rather a bastardised version of something completely unrelated.

Sorry if that is not in the slightest what you are suggesting.

You completely misunderstood me there, I did not say the modern tarot was not linked to its past, I said that the origin of Tarot cards had nothing to do with oracles, prophecy or fortune telling that they are used for today. They were pictographs for the original Knights Templar, who used the cards to tell their stories,their histories, their biographies, even their gossip in the style of Saracen story tellers who used the same techniques around the time of Crusades. Each card represented a different theme and story in Templar mythology and history, and they arranged the cards in particular orders to tell the stories to new/young templars and preserve their shit in secret.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2009, 10:45 AM   #66
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
it was the parenthesis and use of ignorance that got me :P

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth