Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Experimental Jet Set question
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Well, on the official discography it is said that you can clearly hear Sister playing on Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star, especially between tracks: I turned the volume up but I wasn't able to hear anything else than silence... So, where is the truth? Is that a joke from this site?

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Flow my Tears
little trouble girl

Flow my Tears is a jewel in the roughFlow my Tears is a jewel in the roughFlow my Tears is a jewel in the roughFlow my Tears is a jewel in the rough
Maybe this means both have been record in the same studio, Sear Sound. This is just a guess...
Old 04.06.2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
No, they insist on it on the history but they say it's more than this...

Check the following link:

http://sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/lp6.html

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 03:05 PM   #4
amestria
empty page

amestria has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Weird, I never noticed, but yeah, you are right.

amestria
amestria is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 03:16 PM   #5
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
The master tapes from Sister (circa 1987) were used to record over for the EJST&NS sessions in 1993, cionicidentally both albums were recorded at Sear Sound also, they used the old master tapes to get a more lo-fi recording er something like that... that is why you can hear bits and pieces of Sister songs during the silent breaks in EJT&NS, at least i can with headphones and a decent stereo system.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 03:57 PM   #6
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
Does anyone hear something at the beginng of Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream
Old 04.06.2006, 04:01 PM   #7
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellouteater
Does anyone hear something at the beginng of Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream

yeah I made a post about that a long time ago on the old bored, and nobody replied! It's thurston yelling something...but I could never figure out what.

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 04:06 PM   #8
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
I heard it once and when i tryed to play it again i couldn't hear it
Old 04.06.2006, 07:43 PM   #9
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
It sounds like "pull that goddamn..."
Old 04.06.2006, 11:03 PM   #10
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
I noticed this as well when I was listening to the album with headphones a few weeks ago.
Old 04.07.2006, 12:04 AM   #11
Lone Flanger
little trouble girl

Lone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's asses
You miss so much without a halfway decent pair of headphones.

There were a few mp3 clips posted years ago that had been 'turned up' at parts where you can really hear it.
Lone Flanger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 05:14 AM   #12
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, I'm agree with scott v. I think it really went in that way for EJSNS.
it could be heard some high freq gtr from sister recordings in the 'quiet' moments and in headphone.
next step is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 05:57 AM   #13
crappydrummer
little trouble girl

crappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to beholdcrappydrummer is a splendid one to behold
i don't get this at all. their previous album was their best selling lp and they ereased sister masters to save a few bucks?that's insane. wonder if we will hear bits of EJSTNS between songs on rather ripped.
crappydrummer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 08:08 AM   #14
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Hate to bring this back up again but try at the end of Bull in the Heather (you can hear "do you like to fuck" from catholic block and at the end of winners blues you can hear thurston singing "schitzophrenia". If you want the clips pm me.
Old 09.19.2006, 08:52 AM   #15
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Hate to bring this back up again but try...

Don't "hate", it's lovely that you would guide us again through eternally recurring threads.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 06:03 PM   #16
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i've always been able to hear the "schizophrenia..." at the end of winner's blues.
Old 09.19.2006, 06:08 PM   #17
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I never understood how 'Sister' plays so perfectly underneath it all, though. If they did record over the tapes, wouldn't the chopping and rearranging cut and slice the Sister songs up a little?

I think they just threw sister into the final mix as a joke. There's no sister in the 'in the raw' mixes either, so yeaaah..
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 09:55 PM   #18
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
It sounds like "pull that goddamn..."
Yeah, fo sho
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 09:57 PM   #19
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
you do realize that because of this, we will likely never see a reissue of sister, which is fine with me.
Old 09.20.2006, 01:03 PM   #20
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I never understood how 'Sister' plays so perfectly underneath it all, though. If they did record over the tapes, wouldn't the chopping and rearranging cut and slice the Sister songs up a little?

I think they just threw sister into the final mix as a joke. There's no sister in the 'in the raw' mixes either, so yeaaah..

Yeah, I always kinda felt they had done something like that to create this sort of legend or mystique around the album. The idea that they recorded over Sister has a sort of Old Rock feel to it. I mean back in the day, wasn't it a sort of common occurence for people to not save the original master tapes, or tape over them?
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth