Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What 3 The Fall albums should I get?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.14.2011, 11:35 AM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I actually originally mentioned LEVITATE as being great/underrated. Hardly nonsense, though, I have every Fall album for years now, and I'm not alone in my dislike of their middle stuff in the grand scheme of things; read the perfect sounds forever reviews on them sometime hah.

Then again most people don't seem to like room to live either and that album rules, aside from MARQUIS CHA CHA. I think it wa salmost like an sy thing -- it was their album after hex how do you go from hex to MARQUIS.. CHA CHA? Like sy and daydream to goo. Not a bad album but daydream was epic as hell and then goo wasn't. You get it, you get it.

I don't like I CAN HEAR THE GRASS GROW. BLINDNESS is just too long and just makes me think of some shitty car.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2011, 11:45 AM   #22
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
"marquis cha cha" rules. maybe my favorite on RTL (either that or "joker hysterical face.")

the only song on that album that's pretty mediocre is "detective instinct."

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2011, 11:47 AM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
shrug

they're in my top 10 bands ever... I like to think I have a pretty decent perspective on them as I've listened to them more than almost any other band ever....... and marquis cha cha is probably one of maybe 20 songs by the mI just don't like at all.

Then again I hate EAT YOURSELF FITTER -- and kinda find a LOT of perverted to be weaker than most of their material -- and people worship the ground its novelty ass walks on so who knows.

Old 03.14.2011, 11:50 AM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I can't trust the opinion of an American on the Fall. I'm sorry. But it just doesn't make any sense that you would like it. Really though, what do you see in it? I mean, I struggle as a southerner, but I have at least visited Salford and am from the same country.

I've stopped being an apologist for 90s-00s Fall - if you don't like it, you don't get them. I AM THE RULES.

(I'm joking. A bit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2011, 11:58 AM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Man, The Fall are one of the frist bands I ever got into, PERIOD. It was like.. Melt Banana, Dillinger Escape Plan, the Fall... this addiction has lasted half my life now.... or at least since Napster was invented!

I don't really know how to answer the "what do you GET"? I like how loose but in control the music is. I love the ranting. I mean, just brilliant riffs, all the time. Every instrument. I actually play live similiar to how the Fall sounds on records (which is surprisingly difficult to get on record). Like NWRA.. kinda just a guideline of what to play, and competent as hell players somehow play it perfectly, just playing in and around and about the melody but never seeming to gel cohesively into the section, it';s almost like jazz, you are supposed to hear the notes thst sbnsd==ddddd.... because they never really hit it, but you know how it should sound... and then SHIFT-UH... and the rolling for 4 minutes straight.. they make reptition beautiful, they've always taken a great melody and just made it go on forever.... cuz there's no such thing as repetition when it's that brilliant, i mean 2 drummers 2 guitarists a bassist keyboards on their more full band records, how can it ever really "Repeat" honestly? every time you play music, it may sound the same initially but music is like snowflakes. no matter what you're going to change. NO MATTER WHAT THERE WILL BE CHANGE. even if we don't pick up on it immediately.

i think with the fall it's all about the little changes.

it's all about the fills.

totally wired... the whole song sounds kinda plain and bland, at least upon first listen. what makes the song to me are the two brief as hell parts where the bass has that fill, that DUNDUNDOODOO,

LIFE LEAVES YOU SURPRISEEDDDDDDDDDDDDD-uh

i never paid attention to a band's lyrics, the Fall lyrics rule. i can't always relate, i definitely don't always want to.

the fall is, to me, one of the few perfect bands; tful 282, slowdive, beefheart, stereolab, and a very very very small little pinkynil with a bump of coke metaphor for perfection's iddeea of what a PERFECTBAND IS TO ME.

Old 03.14.2011, 12:09 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ah - yeah, I suppose for me, while their music is entirely brilliant, what sets them apart from every other band is his lyrics. There are cockier bands, probably, but none as erudite ('Just six inches higher than your outstretched middle finger'). And I tend to see a lot of that as being about British humour, Manc football culture, the perversity of council estates and part-time witches washing dishes.

I think that, unlike most indie bands at least, they come from a world where bands play for people to dance to - they don't really sound like a Northern Soul band, but it's that kind of culture they relate to. I get the impression that a lot of DJs listen to them, like they're the only indie band that a lot of the diggers listen to. And the lack of musicianly faff is brilliant. There's a moment on Are you are missing winner where the guitarist goes half a note into what should be a solo, and cuts it dead (perhaps after a glare). Or the RPTLC funk element...

One of these days I'll write a proper article on the Fall. One day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth