Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston Moore - The Best Day [2014]
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.28.2014, 07:23 PM   #141
stophereyes
little trouble girl

stophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not saying I understand it, but it does seem a bit odd to me that the positivity of The Best Day and the images of Thurston's parents seem to be associated with the happiness Thurston has found in his new life in the UK. But we shouldn't critique Thurston's personal life, what is most important is the new album and his new band are really great, the new songs and the Psychic Hearts material sound awesome live. Not sure if it has been talked about here but there is also a tape called Sun Gift Earth that is being sold on the current tour...
stophereyes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2014, 07:39 PM   #142
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
The new album by Thurston Moore ISN'T great. That crap Lee Ranaldo is doing on acoustic guitar IS NOT great either. Kim is doing good with Body/Head but it's not Sonic Youth standards. These people are creatively incapable of making brilliant music by themselves.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2014, 07:44 PM   #143
shirttail
Banned

shirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's asses
Coming Apart is better than anything Sonic Youth did after Jim left. So is The Best Day.
shirttail is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2014, 08:04 PM   #144
stophereyes
little trouble girl

stophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's asses
I was on board for Between the Times and the Tides but lost interest in Lee's solo projects after that. I've been on team Body/Head - they beat the hell out of Chelsea Light Moving. Then seeing Thurston and his new band live exceeded my expectations and sparked an interest in Thurston's solo work again.
Old 10.28.2014, 09:42 PM   #145
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
The new album by Thurston Moore ISN'T great. That crap Lee Ranaldo is doing on acoustic guitar IS NOT great either. Kim is doing good with Body/Head but it's not Sonic Youth standards. These people are creatively incapable of making brilliant music by themselves.

this is the closest I've ever felt to you on music stuff man. I actually like this album quite a bit. Though I honestly think that Leaves Outside The Academy is my favorite T solo album. Followed close by Psychic Hearts. That said, I keep checking out their post-SY work and none of it grabs me in any serious way. The best I can muster is "ah yeah it almost sounds like SY." There's certain bands where what made them perfect was the sum of their parts. The tug-o-war between each member to make this perfect diamond. And that was SY. At this point I'm even just hoping for new archival releases to keep me happy. It's honestly just sad to me. Again I like this album. But it's not what I really want.
Old 10.29.2014, 08:46 AM   #146
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stophereyes
I'm not saying I understand it, but it does seem a bit odd to me that the positivity of The Best Day and the images of Thurston's parents seem to be associated with the happiness Thurston has found in his new life in the UK. But we shouldn't critique Thurston's personal life, what is most important is the new album and his new band are really great, the new songs and the Psychic Hearts material sound awesome live. Not sure if it has been talked about here but there is also a tape called Sun Gift Earth that is being sold on the current tour...
Of course Thurstonīs personal life is none of my business, but I donīt also quite understand why he started already in Demolished Thoughts put pictures of his close relatives in the albums (there is also picture of Coco in DT). I donīt really know about his personal life, but I got the picture heīs not the one who tell everything in his life public. Of course those pictures look just fine in the Best Day. Just got thoughts are his parents ill or are they recently died or something...
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2014, 10:02 AM   #147
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
he broke up one family and is nostalgia hunting for that feeling again?
Old 10.29.2014, 10:29 AM   #148
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.spin.com/articles/thursto...w-sonic-youth/
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2014, 05:47 PM   #149
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
stophereyes you should really check out Lee second album. Better than the first. Lee's second album is the highlight of the post SY work. Just listening to The Best Day is up there as well. Some great moments on this one.
Old 10.29.2014, 07:27 PM   #150
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Both Lee Ranaldo's albums post-Sonic Youth records are complete and utter SHIT. You guys are living out rock and roll fantasies where someone will come along and make it right. These people have been creatively dead for a long time now. Reverence is all they make their revenue out of.
Old 10.29.2014, 07:51 PM   #151
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Both Lee Ranaldo's albums post-Sonic Youth records are complete and utter SHIT. You guys are living out rock and roll fantasies where someone will come along and make it right. These people have been creatively dead for a long time now. Reverence is all they make their revenue out of.

That's the thing. So much of the post-SY solo stuff sounds to me like a pretty good demo for what could have been a way better SY song. Songs in one hand feel empty compared to what would have been added by the rest.
Old 10.29.2014, 07:51 PM   #152
stophereyes
little trouble girl

I think even Kim said something in an interview about how Body/Head isn't Sonic Youth, and nothing will be... it goes without saying that none of these new projects compare to Sonic Youth's best work.
Old 10.30.2014, 03:12 AM   #153
dasx
children of satan

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

Interesting interview, thanks!
dasx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2014, 01:12 PM   #154
shirttail
Banned

shirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

If Sonic Youth is dead & its members' creativity so offensively depleted, why do you still post here? Do you have no other outlet for your righteous negativity?
shirttail is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2014, 01:29 PM   #155
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirttail
If Sonic Youth is dead & its members' creativity so offensively depleted, why do you still post here? Do you have no other outlet for your righteous negativity?

Repped

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2014, 01:39 PM   #156
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
This is not the Lee Ranaldo forum nor the Thurston Moore forum, (it may be the Steve Shelley forum, drummers can do no wrong).

It is the Sonic Youth forum. I will frequent it forever because they are my Beatles, my Sex Pistols, my *shudder* Nirvana, but If we do not have the ability to rag on things we think suck then what is the point?

This is not the "let's all put flowers in sonic youth's anus" forum.....
Old 10.30.2014, 02:03 PM   #157
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rob Instigator again.
Old 10.30.2014, 04:00 PM   #158
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to shirttail again.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2014, 04:44 PM   #159
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
This is not the Lee Ranaldo forum nor the Thurston Moore forum, (it may be the Steve Shelley forum, drummers can do no wrong).

It is the Sonic Youth forum. I will frequent it forever because they are my Beatles, my Sex Pistols, my *shudder* Nirvana, but If we do not have the ability to rag on things we think suck then what is the point?

This is not the "let's all put flowers in sonic youth's anus" forum.....

preach
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2014, 04:50 PM   #160
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

If you get offended by comments someone makes about a record by a member of a band, why are public forums created for them in the first place then? I find it a more negative attitude when someone responds to such comments implying that the offender must live a grand life putting down stuff in general because of some non-defined personal confidence they may gain from their actions. What you're doing is applying your judgemental ability to suit your views and give the impression to the person who puts the criticism of x band forward that you are not mature enough to process it and not influence your opinions at all because you disagree anyway.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth