Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Kyuss
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2006, 10:21 PM   #1
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
i just got Blues for the Red Sun and i think i'm in love. has anyone heard any other artists similar to them that i might enjoy?
Old 04.29.2006, 11:04 PM   #2
The 97th Hammer
bad moon rising

The 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard sucka
I was listening to Welcome to Sky Valley today while driving and it was perfect for the occaision. I'd say if you wants bands that are fairly close to Kyuss I would reccomend Sleep, Orange Goblin and early Monster Magnet. I also hear that Saint Vitus are very much in this vein of stoner-rock, but I have yet to listen to them.
The 97th Hammer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2006, 01:10 AM   #3
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Saint Vitus doesn't do it for me, as well as many of the early doom metal/stoner rock guys like Candlemass, Pentagram and even Atomic Rooster. It just sounds like shit 70's rock that is slighty heavier.

Blue Cheer have that really really heavy guitar and bass sound especially for a band in the late 60's.

Sleep are like a better, more sludgy Kyuss, you'll love them.

Electric Wizard are also radd, a lot of marijuanna worship.

Boris rule, they can play everything from sludge rock to garage punk type stuff. There latest album PINK is great. I'd get it if i was you
Old 04.30.2006, 03:15 AM   #4
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
definately early monster magnet - tab25 and superjudge are awesome albums. all the desert sessions stuff, there is 10 albums there
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2006, 07:03 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
check out goatsnake..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2006, 07:15 AM   #6
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
I used to be hugely into stoner rock. Kyuss are probably my second favourite band after sy, i'm more of a ...and the circus leaves town fan though. The track 'el rodeo' is one of my favourite tracks ever, same goes for "spacecadet" off sky valley

similar bands include
sgt. sunshine (probably the only place you'll find them is soulseek as I don't think they had a full album, but the demos are great)
fatso jetson (cruel and delicious is a fantastic album, even has a devo cover)
orange goblin
fu manchu (a bit one dimensional for my liking)
gonga
clutch
sleep
atomic bitchwax
colour haze (pretty close to kyuss)
dead meadow
devillac (very close to qotsa)
bad wizard
beaver (qotsa did a split ep with them)
dozer
goatsnake
masters of reality (featuring kyuss's producer chris goss, deep in the hole is a very good album)
Orquestra del desierto (acoustic/softer stoner rock)
sons of otis
nebula (the split with lowrider is fantastic)
church of misery

kyuss/queens related
unida (john garcia)
brant bjork and the operators (brant bjork)
mondo generator (nick oliveri)
slo burn (john garcia)
reeder (scott reeder)
desert sessions

if you want it heavier and slower here's some good doomy bands
earth
high on fire
rebreather
electric wizard
weedeater
bongzilla
YOB
sunn 0)))
burning witch
om
pelican
boris

oh and for older bands
leaf hound and blue cheer
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2006, 07:18 AM   #7
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
I was just listening to colour haze again, you'll definately like them if you like kyuss
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2006, 07:21 AM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Listen to that sleep album that's 63 minutes of one chord. It's pretty boring after about 10 minutes.

don't listen to goblin cock though.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2006, 10:42 AM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
how about fu manchu?

bardo pond are like a stoner band that adds a shoegazer, space rock and more feedback to the mix, check 'em out.

listen to ozzy-era black sabbath.

sheavy are kinda in the same vein

welcome to sky valley is an awesome album indeed
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth