Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page New York Tips
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.17.2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Thomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's asses
It's a long time since I posted here ... but I was wondering if any of the New York based folk on here may be able to give me some tips. I'm visiting New York for 2 weeks from 23rd August. I was hoping people may be able to give me some ideas about places to go or check out, specifically, stuff like: good record shops, good book shops (and places I could get zines), decent art galleries, any interesting little independent places, nice places to get coffee. I guess you get the idea. So yeah, if any of the New Yorkers on here want to throw some tips then that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thomas Moronic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2011, 05:43 AM   #2
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Thomas,

I just visited NYC for the first time this past weekend (for Sonic Youth of course!). If you like art, Strands bookstore is a must! I loved it there and got some great books on illustration. Right across from strands is a record shop that specializes in original pressings, so that might interest you if you're a collector. Also, check out Bluestockings books if you want books on social criticism, activism, animal rights, anarchy, etc. And there's a great vegan food place beside it!

Also, check out who's playing at The Stone when you go down, it's John Zorn's venue and has a lot of noise shows.

The only touristy thing I did was go to strawberry fields and smoke fags at the memorial site which was beautiful.

Good luck with the fucking subway system there ;D, I nearly tore my hair out with one of the lines closed and being used to the ever-so-efficient Montreal subways.
Old 08.17.2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Thomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's asses
Hey

Thanks for the tips - that's great. I've put Strands on my list. I just checked out their website and it looks super great. Ace! Thank you!

Old 08.17.2011, 11:27 AM   #4
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I hear they eat white people there.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2011, 11:27 AM   #5
ink.
the end of the ugly

ink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's asses
get a hooker
ink. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2011, 04:13 PM   #6
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
bring som lube because that city will assrape your wallet

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Isn't Academy meant to be the best record shop in NY?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2011, 11:01 PM   #8
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
bring som lube because that city will assrape your wallet
ha ha ha hah
Old 08.18.2011, 03:15 AM   #9
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Thanks Genteel Death, I've had a quick search and Academy does look pretty interesting. Thanks for your help.

Old 08.18.2011, 01:40 PM   #10
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Which Academy? There are 3, for this-listy stuff the 12th St and W'burg branches are musts. And since you'll be near there anyway, go to Kims video (in manhattan) and you also want to go to Record Grump (in W'burg). Perhaps the best new vinyl stash in town right now is at J&R music world. They have HIts for Squares on the shelf there I saw Sunday. For harsh unfriendly noise Hospital Records is the place to go. Shouldn't neglect the Downtown Music Gallery, with Sunday night free sets, located in one of the oldest interesting. ungentrified areas of Manhattan in the heart of Chinatown - if it wasn't for all the signs being in Chinese, you might think you were back in 1894.

The Strand is the most amazing bookstore, although like everything it is being forced to change, the basement full of reviewer's books is reduced to a dozen shelves sadly. St Marks Books is also essential if you have any interest in contemporary philosophy. I haven't spent much time in there, but the NYU Bookstore on Broadway looks like a must stop for any academics and Shakespeare is near there as is Other Music.

I can't think of any reliable places for zines, sometimes they show up at Academy or Kims or OM.

I recommend this at University of the Streets if you like free jazz

Wed, August 24, 2011

RAS MOSHE, DAVID ARNER, MAX JOHNSON, LOU GRASSI

Ras Moshe - Tenor Saxophone, Flute, David Arner - Piano, Max Johnson - Bass, Lou Grassi - Drums. $10.

http://www.eardrumnyc.com/ lists a lot of interesting shows, also on the WFMU website, All That Jazz site and Todd P's site. Death By Audio is a happening spot, Shearing Pinx play tonite for instance. Zebulon can be good place and free (like many spots like Bruar Falls) where they pass the hat.

If you like Thai food but want to try something different, this Northern Thai place is incredible to my toungue and reasonable
http://zabbelee.com/contents/menus.html
the pla som was a revelation of possibility for me...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2011, 02:39 PM   #11
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I always read from clued up locals that the one in W'burg is the best record shop in the city. I know of the other branches, but that's the one I meant. Has Silent Barn re-opened after the recent tragedy? That's one place I'd check for good live music if I was visiting NY.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2011, 11:05 AM   #12
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

tesla69: Thanks, that's awesome. Much appreciated.

Old 08.21.2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
If you like Thai food but want to try something different, this Northern Thai place is incredible to my toungue and reasonable
http://zabbelee.com/contents/menus.html
the pla som was a revelation of possibility for me...

Agreed! They just reviewed this place in Time Out. My wife is Thai, and we tried it last night. Good larb with chicken. Manhattan has a lot of great food, but it's hard to find good Thai food here.
Old 08.21.2011, 06:45 PM   #14
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
This is hardly a secret, but "Alphabet City" (Avenues A through D) is an interesting place to walk around. Lots of community gardens and that's where the aforementioned Stone is located. No food or drink at the Stone. Just great music.

If you're into 70's era punk rock, and you're already in the area, stop by a bar called Manitoba's on Ave. B around 6th street. Lots of great photos on the walls. Handsome Dick Manitoba of the Dictators is the owner and sometimes bartender. I don't think there's much (if any) live music there.

Finally (and I may get a lot of disagreement on this), if you're in the area, check out John Varvatos. It's a store in the former CBGB space on Bowery and Bleecker. Unless your name is Rockefeller, you probably won't buy anything there, and it is a bit pretentious and hardly "indie." It's a place where rich people can shop if they want to feel "punk" or whatever. But there's some interesting stuff to look at, including some classic posters on the wall. So, if you're passing by...
Old 08.22.2011, 06:27 PM   #15
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Magic Wheel Memory: Excellent. Thanks. I just googled Alphabet City and it looks pretty interesting so I'll check it out. I might head down to The Stone one or two of the nights too, to see what's happening. Thanks for chipping in.

Old 08.22.2011, 08:04 PM   #16
DaveCromwell
bad moon rising

DaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's asses
Go to The Cake Shop on Ludlow street. Most of the time interesting shows for relatively cheep - and they sell $1.00 albums there. Right in the front of the store. Oh, yeah - and its a real "cake shop" so you can buy a cupcake and eat it while thumbing through the records.

Happy hunting.

http://davecromwellwrites.blogspot.com

My Interview with Oliver Ackermann of A Place To Bury Strangers (we discuss Sonic Youth at points):

http://davecromwellwrites.blogspot.com/2010/09/oliver-ackermann-aptbs-interview.html

Other stuff I've written (where I always seems to mention Sonic Youth):

http://nyc.thedelimagazine.com/node/2846

--

http://mog.com/blog_post/content/4016/2089877
DaveCromwell is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2011, 08:23 AM   #17
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
guuuh.....NYC. So expensive. A LOT OF MONEY spent in cabs alone.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2011, 01:11 PM   #18
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
damn, just had an earthquake here - I sit on the 27th floor and suddenly I realized it wasn't me rolling in my chair but the entire building...so far no damage or problems, just weirded out...
Old 08.23.2011, 02:33 PM   #19
tesla69
Banned

If you take a cab to get around don't moan about money, its your own fault. Normal folk take the trains. The poseur crowd won't go underground because they might miss a text message! .
Old 08.23.2011, 05:11 PM   #20
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Dave Cromwell: Cakes and records?!? I'm THERE.
I arrived in New York today actually, and yah Tesla69, I felt the quake while I was at the airport ... An interesting start to my trip!
Off to see Deerhunter at Webster Hall in a couple of hours.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth