Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Wiltern
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.27.2006, 06:06 PM   #1
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
So who's going? I've been offline for a while cause I moved on campus into an apartment a couple weeks ago and I've been busy as hell. But I have a ticket for the Wiltern show tomorrow. Couldn't find anyone else that wanted to go and had enough money to this time, but I can't pass it up.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
It's good to have you back.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2006, 11:09 AM   #3
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Im going. Im not a huge fan of the Wiltern- its a bigger than what I usually like. But it should be a great show nonetheless.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2006, 02:24 PM   #4
dunststruck
empty page

dunststruck has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i got a ticket for the down general adnmission section. thats the floor,it's actually five seperate sections. they take your ticket and give a wrist band to bein the very first section.
dunststruck is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2006, 01:02 PM   #5
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
I was there great set great sound great time
Old 10.02.2006, 01:14 PM   #6
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
The show was good but Im just not a fan of the Wiltern. Its much bigger than what Im generally used to (at least for seeing SY). You just dont get that intimate feeling that smaller clubs or theaters provide. Also, I thought they could have played a few more old songs. I was really in the mood to hear an EVOL song, either Tom Violence or Expressway. But whatever they play, SY puts on a great show and this was no exception.

Old 10.02.2006, 03:00 PM   #7
satirejohn
bad moon rising

satirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's asses
what was the set?
satirejohn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2006, 05:43 PM   #8
SeaConeTeeth
empty page

SeaConeTeeth has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
they played expressway at the OC museum of art! it was fantastic
SeaConeTeeth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2006, 06:53 PM   #9
noisemachine
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by satirejohn
what was the set?
For the Wiltern, I dont know the order, but they played everything from RR except Sleepin Around. Plus they did Candle, Teenage Riot, Eric's Trip, Shaking Hell, and World Looks Red.

Old 10.02.2006, 11:37 PM   #10
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...C-SONIC-DC.XML

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - When Sonic Youth began its encore Thursday at the Wiltern LG with the eloquent, longish "Turquoise Boy," it was the set's sixth consecutive song from the band's new album. And the fans who had been yelling for oldies all night were practically begging.
Some audibly groused. Others split. But all was made right with the opening chimes of "Teen Age Riot," from the landmark 1988 album "Daydream Nation." The onstage ruckus devolved into precision chaos as Lee Ranaldo ran a bow across his guitar during a four-piece feedback fest that ended with Ranaldo and Thurston Moore crossing their guitars overhead and mashing the strings together.
It was the showiest display -- aside from Kim Gordon's uninhibited free-form dancing -- of a 95-minute set that saw the New York postpunk faves focused squarely on the present. The band played all but one of the dozen songs on its three-month-old album "Rather Ripped" (Geffen). And while those who only came to hear nuggets from Sonic Youth's 25-year career might have been mildly miffed, anyone who actually listened to the new material had to admit one thing: It's good.

The band is back down to a quartet with the departure of Jim O'Rourke after two albums. With the classic lineup of Moore, Ranaldo, Gordon and drummer Steve Shelley intact (augmented by Pavement bassist Mark Ibold on the tour), Sonic Youth has produced a gem of a 15th album. Among the high points of the record and show were the skewed tunefulness of "Incinerate" with its harsh imagery ("You doused my soul with gasoline/You flicked a match into my brain") and "What a Waste," a Gordon-sung bounce-along that evoked the Noo Yawk sound of "Dreaming"-era Blondie.
And the new ones kept comin': "Jams Run Free" was spiked with mini-riffs and a breathy Gordon vocal; "Pink Steam" rose from an almost swampy opening to a long instrumental bang; "The Neutral" had a tweaked sweetness; and the hypnotic, dirge-paced "Or" featured Ranaldo tossing in "The End"-like guitar fills.
But amid all the frequent guitar changes and onstage tunings, one new song stood out most. Moore's near-yelping, half-cracking vocal lent a discomforting immediacy to "Do You Believe in the Rapture?" The performance built from an appropriate doomsday intro to a ticking-clock guitar recessional. If this is any indication, the rapture will be beautiful.
The catalog-starved fans did get a few chances to cheer, with the Ranaldo-fronted "Eric's Trip," the shrieking show-closer "Shaking Hell" and a couple others, but this night was about now. And now, as then, Sonic Youth is a live beast. And it showed no hint of laurel-resting.
Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Moshe is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth