Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.05.2017, 11:25 AM   #1241
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
^^ Just crappy fan art, but still. Fun stuff. Though also not fun.

I'm not sure if these rumors are true, but it's what the show-runners are feeding the masses on Twitter.

I still say a modern Cthulhu story needs to be told on AHS. In fact I think I suggested a pretty Fucking goddamn good storyboard idea for how such a thing might go down in this very thread some time ago. There's really no American horror without Lovecraft. So any attempt to summarize American horror MUST have a Lovecraft element, or be forever incomplete.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2017, 11:53 AM   #1242
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
did it have venezuelan subtitles?

anyway, this show is produced in new mexico by union crews, and i know some people who work in it

they thank you for your contribution to the betterment of their lives, working-class brother!

I actually flew down to Rio to see it
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2017, 03:57 PM   #1243
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Baskets eps 4-6

What the fuck is this show anyway?

When it first came out the print ads made me think it was going to be about a crazy clown with some kind of pathology. But I guess not so much?

You can see how much Batman-think governs my day-to-day life.
Old 06.05.2017, 04:08 PM   #1244
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Baskets is a deeply sad and funny analysis of dysfunction told through the character of Baskets the Clown (Galifianakis) his mom (Louie Anderson) and his twin brother (Galifianakis).
Old 06.14.2017, 11:25 AM   #1245
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
just finished season 2 of halt and catch fire, which was pretty great. it's funny to see the birth of the intertubes in retrospective and i find the whole thing strangely adrenaline-inducing.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2017, 04:34 PM   #1246
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
this carried over from the movies thread, more apropos here.

I think the Sopranos was the best tv show ever. Disputed by another. Please share thoughts? Certainly not Breaking Bad or The Wire, I hope....
Old 06.19.2017, 11:29 PM   #1247
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i liked sopranos a lot and i remember staying up 18 hours watching one episode after another till i could barely keep my eyes open

BUT

the wire for me, maybe. the wire was too much!

i mean sopranos great and all but... i got tired of it by the end

ah shit so many good ones and each for a different purpose

the first 3 seasons of the west wing were just so good! before sorkin had to quit it. and also-- buffy. ha ha ha ha. buffy! but seriously.

anyway sopranos was crazy yeah no doubt. as for "best ever" it gets a little tricky because one starts to split hairs.

the one tv show that has "moved" me the most was the wire though. principally because it provided me with a model of reality that i didn't grasp before it. juking the stats! and so much more.... yeah. sopranos was a fiction, the wire was a master fucking class on how the world really operates.

plus the wire had omar little. and brother mouzone! hell the fuck no. wire wins. sorry. now i got partisan ha ha haha. yeah. early jimmy mcnulty and bunk moreland also awesome. and yeah in sopranos there's silvio and paulie but... there's also that shitty kid and the annoying daughter to bring things down and fucking moltesanti could be such a fucking whiny pest. and his girlfriend... too many annoying people in sopranos, ha ha ha. that sister! ugh...
Old 06.20.2017, 07:06 AM   #1248
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

the thing is that while sopranos had the smarts to look beyond the individual into the family system, and show how the sickness was handed down through generations, wire had the mega-huevos to tackle society as a whole in a way that hasn't been done since... i don't fucking now. on tv never before i think? the wire was a novel.
Old 06.20.2017, 07:26 AM   #1249
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the thing is that while sopranos had the smarts to look beyond the individual into the family system, and show how the sickness was handed down through generations, wire had the mega-huevos to tackle society as a whole in a way that hasn't been done since... i don't fucking now. on tv never before i think? the wire was a novel.

I've still never seen the Wire and I just lost HBO because I'm (sigh) cutting back on non-essentials.

I've seen a Wire episode here and there, but never really dug into it. I think a lot of people would share your opinion that it's the greatest show of all time though. Whenever I tell someone I haven't seen it, they look at me like I just shat my pants in public.
Old 06.20.2017, 07:39 AM   #1250
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
this carried over from the movies thread, more apropos here.

I think the Sopranos was the best tv show ever. Disputed by another. Please share thoughts? Certainly not Breaking Bad or The Wire, I hope....

Rolling Stone recently came out with a list of the 50 greatest television shows of all time, and yep, Sopranos was #1. So I think yours is a very popular opinion among critics.

I myself would not call it the greatest of all time. I feel like it's more of a Kobe than a Michael, if you know what I mean. It started so strong, and hit some just obscenely great highs along the way, and I actually think it ended on a really strong note as well, but some of the seasons got bogged down a bit by some really fucking depraved audience mind game shit that I personally didn't dig. Like when Tony was recovering from being shot, and you started to see him as a victim, almost feel sorry for him, until he goes and beats the living pulp out of his bodyguard just to show his goomba friends that he's still tough n' stuff. That was horrifying to me.

I think the Sopranos missed out on a few golden opportunities. All those moments when Tony's staring out at his empire, watching it thrive or crumble or whatever, and we as audience members are wondering, "What is that? Is that remorse? Is that sadness? Does he get it?" All of those moments were ultimately wasted because there was never an answer. Not a firm one. And in that sense, the character never grew, and in the end lead his own family to the fucking slaughter like lambs (at least, that's what I got from the "Don't Stop" ending of the final episode... 'twas no happy ending, not to this guy. Things went black unexpectedly for a fucking REASON.)

There's no denying it was a great show. A tremendous show. But I don't like being toyed with as a viewer... not in that way. I don't like laughing at Pauly's dumb hijinks one minute, and then watching him do something absolutely terrible the next. Yes, it's moral ambiguity and I'm fine with that, but I feel that Sopranos was missing a "true north," so to speak. There was no redemption in that story.

I'm not sure I'd say Breaking Bad is the best ever, but at least it had a true north. It had a conscience, and there was resolution at the end. It was also more engrossing from a filmmaking perspective, and I think the filming techniques were more advanced and the story was more centralized. The ending was painful and parts of it were extremely hard to watch, but I think it has a leg up on Sopranos when it comes to direction and cinematography, tension and release, and, sorry, but overall performance quality as well.
Old 06.20.2017, 07:44 AM   #1251
Severian
invito al cielo

If I had to name my personal favorite tv show of all time though, you guys would laugh at because you're a bunch of high-brow fucks.

Anyway, in drama, it's probably LOST. Say what you will about LOST -- it may not have the cursing or sex -- but it was a goddamn gripping show and I think that show really kicked off the era of "prestige television."

Not sure that's my favorite, but it's up there.

Also up there:

Arrested Development
Twin Peaks
Breaking Bad
Doctor Who (mostly the '04-present era)
Seinfeld (This is as great a show for comedies as Sopranos or Breaking Bad is for drama, and should be held at the same level.$

Fuck. I dunno.
Old 06.20.2017, 07:52 AM   #1252
Severian
invito al cielo

Just nobody say Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. Not that anyone would, but... y'know... just don't.
Old 06.20.2017, 08:44 AM   #1253
ilduclo
invito al cielo

The Wire did have a lot of good things in it. Jimmy, his black partner and the other black detective who made the dollhouse furniture were NOT well written characters. Just way way overdone, McDonalds burgers left in the warming oven for 3 or 4 days bad, stale. It kind of ruined the series for me in a lot of ways.

I looked at a couple of "greatest" web sites, and the Simpsons was mentioned. I haven't watched a whole lot of it, but with the Wiggins, Burns and Smithers, damn, that's not far from the top at least....
Old 06.20.2017, 09:53 AM   #1254
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

I think the Sopranos missed out on a few golden opportunities. All those moments when Tony's staring out at his empire, watching it thrive or crumble or whatever, and we as audience members are wondering, "What is that? Is that remorse? Is that sadness? Does he get it?" All of those moments were ultimately wasted because there was never an answer. Not a firm one.

he was a monster with no remorse whatsoever, any regret he ever had was regret that he failed to kill someone before they screwed him.
Old 06.20.2017, 09:58 AM   #1255
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
he was a monster with no remorse whatsoever, any regret he ever had was regret that he failed to kill someone before they screwed him.
right. that's what a certain key character (trying to avoid spoilers, though the show is now ancient) eventually figures out.

what's interesting though is his kid. i don't like him as a character, but as a device, when he starts having the same pains/symptoms as his dad had when he was young... fuck yeah. that's how it gets handed down, philip larkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
The Wire did have a lot of good things in it. Jimmy, his black partner and the other black detective who made the dollhouse furniture were NOT well written characters. Just way way overdone, McDonalds burgers left in the warming oven for 3 or 4 days bad, stale. It kind of ruined the series for me in a lot of ways.

I looked at a couple of "greatest" web sites, and the Simpsons was mentioned. I haven't watched a whole lot of it, but with the Wiggins, Burns and Smithers, damn, that's not far from the top at least....

whaaaat! bunk and lester and jimmy were great, dammit. ah ha ha ha. i had so much fun with them. you're of course free to dislike them just as i had a blast watching them.

simpsons... yeah it's more of an institution and i haven't watched them literally in decades. i did like futurama a lot though.
Old 06.20.2017, 10:00 AM   #1256
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

it is very hard to determine a greatest show. so many types of shows. these are my picks based on 43 years of TV watching.

farce - Night Court
classic sit-com - I Love Lucy
modern sit-com - Seinfeld
anthology/magazine type show - CBS Sunday Morning
adult animated show - Simpsons
children's science show - 3...2...1... Contact
cop procedural - Hill Street Blues/NYPD Blue (tie)
drama - Sopranos/Breaking Bad
special place in my heart - WKRP in Cincinnatti
period show - Peaky Blinders
Old 06.20.2017, 11:30 AM   #1257
ilduclo
invito al cielo

I think Taboo is a whole lot better than Peaky Blinders.
Old 06.20.2017, 01:38 PM   #1258
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I have not seen Taboo, but Peaky was dope.
Old 06.20.2017, 02:08 PM   #1259
ilduclo
invito al cielo

and for other good period shows,

Boardwalk, This is England, Blackadder
Old 06.20.2017, 02:30 PM   #1260
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I found Boardwalk interminably dull. my wife loves it.
53606162 63 64656673113163 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth