Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What the fuck's with these "entirety" tours?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.21.2007, 10:55 PM   #1
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
First Spiderland, then Daydream Nation, and now the Melvins are going to play the whole of Houdini?

What's with this shit? I have half of a mind to go just to yell that I already own A Live History of Gluttony and Lust at them.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 12:01 AM   #2
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
All I know of is the Slim's show
http://virtuous.com/events/v/315381430/2007-07-20.html

Yeah, it's fucking retarded. I can understand the Sonics doing it to bring in the newer Pixies-reunion fans. But new fans? Melvins? Please.
Old 05.22.2007, 12:16 AM   #3
pbradley
invito al cielo

I got that Wave of Mutilation DVD and remembered why they bore me.
Old 05.22.2007, 01:03 AM   #4
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
There's already a live album of the Melvins doing Houdini, and honestly, I think it's better than the original in a lot of ways. Why? Well, the original was their big Major Label, maybe we can "make it" album. Now they are once again an underground band, albeit with several more years of playing experience, so their take on these songs is totally fresh.

I still don't favor the trend of bands touring on their old records when they are fully capable of making great new ones, but there is much more sense in the Melvins doing it with Houdini than Sonic Youth doing it with Daydream Nation (which they can't hope to do as well as the first time.)
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 02:47 AM   #5
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air

I still don't favor the trend of bands touring on their old records when they are fully capable of making great new ones,

Yeah maybe, but DN is by far my favourite sonic youth album and it came out the year I was born, so it is the only chance I'll ever get for them to hear my favourite songs by them. Their new songs are cool, but I'm sure i'll get another chance to hear them live.

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 04:09 AM   #6
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I was thinking about the DDN shows the other day, and I think that, if they're going to do more than just a one-off show, there's one thing they could have done that would have made it a really cool project: Tour it only to places they don't generally visit, places that have a developing music scene rather than a developed one.

Think about it: They could play a venue in, say, Poland or Mexico, that, if it had a major band come to play, could afford to upgrade their in-house facilities, or could afford to open a smaller venue for bands that are too big for a pub but too small for a full-size venue. That, and the resultant publicity, would help the local music scene to develop.

If the band thought carefully about the places it played, they could find places that are easily accessible from the countries where the music scene is already developed, so people could travel to the venues where the shows are being held, if they're really really keen to see the shows. Cross-border travel can be done fairly cheaply these days, and the sort of place that I'm talking about will always have reasonably cheap places to stay overnight.

I would expand on this more, but I have to go to a meeting with my boss. 'Bye for now.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 04:52 AM   #7
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
originally it was part of the All Tomorrows Parties 'don't look back thing', i saw the Lemonheads play "its a shame about Ray" as part of the 'Don't look back' concerts last year. But SY have turned it into a whole tour, not just a date or two in london which it traditionally is.

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/dont-look-back/
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 05:03 AM   #8
pbradley
invito al cielo

Yeah, I know. I was referring to the whole trend (like why are the Melvins doing it).
Old 05.22.2007, 05:15 AM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Yeah, I know. I was referring to the whole trend (like why are the Melvins doing it).

money!

anyway, i don't see the problem with bands touring old material, it's not like the people complaining about them doing it don't listen to old records, watch old movies, see plays that were written years ago, look at art from previous centuries etc.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 06:59 AM   #10
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Last night I just saw Clipse performing "Hell Hath No Fury", but they threw in tonnes of their older stuff as well
Old 05.24.2007, 12:53 AM   #11
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
money!

anyway, i don't see the problem with bands touring old material, it's not like the people complaining about them doing it don't listen to old records, watch old movies, see plays that were written years ago, look at art from previous centuries etc.

My issues with Sonic Youth doing it are twofold: 1) I get mighty annoyed by people who say, "Sonic Youth haven't done a good album since Daydream Nation", and I don't see how doing this sort of tour won't make that an even more frequent line of bullshit. and 2) If they happen to add a Portland date, I'll be mightily torn, because I do like those songs, and they are my favorite music group period, but seeing them play and knowing what each song will be in advance would take half the fun away.

I read the kid saying that Daydream Nation is his favorite album and seeing this would be the only way he'll get to hear those songs live, and I figure he hasn't actually seen Sonic Youth live that many times. If he had, he'd know that Daydream Nation is easily the album they most often play old songs from, sometimes three or more on a given tour for a new album. It's not like those songs were retired after 1988. In fact when they toured Daydream, they played stuff off of the records before it too, so if you really want to capture that 1988 feeling, you should go to the show and scream for "I Love Her All of the Time".
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth