Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY and others on Rolling Stone's under appreciated list
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.02.2007, 10:30 AM   #21
kenning
little trouble girl

kenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asses
Wilco rose to the attention of many thousands by eeking out a narrative of under-appreciation. Thousands bought it. And although I think they are enormously talented, I think they have been well beyond the press-darling syndrome for years. A perfect example of Rolling Stone's ability to view just about anything through the lens of nostalgia.
kenning is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2007, 12:03 PM   #22
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Sleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud of
Atari should really kill that tag, those giant paintings make this page miles long, and difficult to decipher.

I want sonic youth action fan mail.
Sleek_Jeek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2007, 12:05 PM   #23
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Sleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenning
Wilco rose to the attention of many thousands by eeking out a narrative of under-appreciation. Thousands bought it. And although I think they are enormously talented, I think they have been well beyond the press-darling syndrome for years. A perfect example of Rolling Stone's ability to view just about anything through the lens of nostalgia.

Because by the time they're paying attention to it, its already dead most of the time. Like screamo. etc. The bands that broke the style killed the style, and rollingstone finally wrote about it. That magazine is printed behind the hollywood sign.
Old 05.02.2007, 12:07 PM   #24
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Is there any good music related magazines still out there?
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2007, 01:32 PM   #25
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

I kinda like 'under the radar,' but as far as magazines concerned with punk music, I have no idea. What music-type coverage are you looking for?
Old 05.02.2007, 11:33 PM   #26
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Here's a list off the top of my head that makes much more sense (focusing on long term artists, and leaving off anyone like Nick Drake who would have made it had his music not turned up in a car commercial.) Sonic Youth have received way more "appreciation" than any of these groups. I also considered Yellow Magic Orchestra, but they've only lacked the appreciation in the U.S., while in their homeland they were bigger than the Beatles.:

1. Rocket from the Tombs (who split into Pere Ubu and the Dead Boys after writing all the classic songs of both!)
2. Suicide (who make way more sense than the Cars, and I'm sure Rick Ocasek would agree)
3. Hawkwind (the hippy band who influenced the Sex Pistols among others)
4. The Last Poets (who arguably invented rap music in the '60s way before hip hop)
5. The Sonics (NW punk rock from the early '60s who influenced the Who, the Kinks, The Cramps, etc...)
6. Pere Ubu (who make infinite more sense than their scene contemporaries Devo)
7. Wire
8. NEU!
9. The Fall
10. The Soft Boys
11. Television (in place of Talking Heads)
12. The Heartbreakers (way more underapreciated than Thunders first band, and better musically too.)
13. The Runaways
14. The Bad Brains
15. The Slits
16. Love
17. Laurie Anderson
18. The Birthday Party
19. The Spacemen 3
20. The Contortions
21. Richard Hell & the Voidoids
22. The Raincoats
23. Lydia Lunch/Teenage Jesus & the Jerks/Eight Eyed Spy
24. The Germs
25. The Screamers

Runners up: the Dictators, Gang of Four (slightly more "appreciated" than Sonic Youth), Gary Numan (barely disqualified because of "Cars" being the mega hit it is, but the rest of his period catalog is way overlooked), Swans, Pussy Galore, Big Black, Hood, The Ex, of course this could go on forever...
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 12:37 AM   #27
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
wow, i thought this list would have omoide hatoba or something. nah, just a bunch of bands who are already hugely successful..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 02:08 AM   #28
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
1. Rocket from the Tombs (who split into Pere Ubu and the Dead Boys after writing all the classic songs of both!)
2. Suicide (who make way more sense than the Cars, and I'm sure Rick Ocasek would agree)
3. Hawkwind (the hippy band who influenced the Sex Pistols among others)
4. The Last Poets (who arguably invented rap music in the '60s way before hip hop)
5. The Sonics (NW punk rock from the early '60s who influenced the Who, the Kinks, The Cramps, etc...)
6. Pere Ubu (who make infinite more sense than their scene contemporaries Devo)
7. Wire
8. NEU!
9. The Fall
10. The Soft Boys
11. Television (in place of Talking Heads)
12. The Heartbreakers (way more underapreciated than Thunders first band, and better musically too.)
13. The Runaways
14. The Bad Brains
15. The Slits
16. Love
17. Laurie Anderson
18. The Birthday Party
19. The Spacemen 3
20. The Contortions
21. Richard Hell & the Voidoids
22. The Raincoats
23. Lydia Lunch/Teenage Jesus & the Jerks/Eight Eyed Spy
24. The Germs
25. The Screamers

Runners up: the Dictators, Gang of Four (slightly more "appreciated" than Sonic Youth), Gary Numan (barely disqualified because of "Cars" being the mega hit it is, but the rest of his period catalog is way overlooked), Swans, Pussy Galore, Big Black, Hood, The Ex, of course this could go on forever...

Underappreciated. And by that I mean they should attract a crowd larger then the Arcade Fire / create a bigger hype in the music world.

1. Pavement
2. 12RODS
3. Sonic Youth
4. Yo La Tengo
5. Silver Jews
6. Wilco
7. Grandaddy
8. ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
9. Matthew Good (canadian) - listen to "Giant" and you will understand.
10. the band i wish i had.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 02:23 AM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
what?!

1. Pavement - the quintessential indie rock band, EVERYONE appreciates them
3. Sonic Youth - WHAT?! they're appreciated plenty!
6. Wilco - hahaha.. you're kidding.
8. ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - they got a 10/10 from pitchfork. they're way too appreciated.

Old 05.03.2007, 02:33 AM   #30
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Grandaddy are boring.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 02:35 AM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

here's my unappreciated bands.

+/-, 90 day men, 400 blows, a minor forest, a trillion barnacle lapse, akimbo, brainiac, cerberus shoal, chromelodeon, clouddead, dazzling killmen, el guapo, erase errata (face it, they're extremely underappreciated), ex-girl, experimental dental school, fly pan am, funeral diner, gastr del sol, giddy motors, honor role, hot snakes, ikara colt, jesu, june of 44, loincloth, man or astroman, ooioo, omoide hatoba, ooo, pan sonic, polvo, polysics, ruins, ruinhorse, rumah sakit, satisfact, scissor shock, secret chiefs 3, servotron, silver apples, six finger satellite, slowdive, stereolab, sweep the leg johnny, the coughs, unwound, us maple, xiu xiu (seriously, do any mainstream mags even cover them?), yaphet kotto, and yowie.

there are tons more, obviously, but that's what came to mind first.

Old 05.03.2007, 01:56 PM   #32
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad
9. Matthew Good (canadian) - listen to "Giant" and you will understand.

Uh...he's quite big up here. I'm a fan though.

I would say Mission of Burma, the Wipers, Swans, the Sonics (and probably countless of their garage rock contemporaries) are underappreciated

and Pere Ubu

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 03:54 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

hell yes, the wipers!!!!!! that dude is one of my favorite guitar players.

Old 05.03.2007, 05:43 PM   #34
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Depends what underappreciated means doesnt it. It could mean an artist who has had a massive influence without much recognition or one who has continually changed and pushed the boundaries of their particular fanbase, OR an artist who has created something which has resonated and influenced for years after the fact.

On those terms, off the top of my head
The first instance - Sonic Youth,
Second - ... Sonic Youth. Radiohead with Kid A, Mars Volta
Third - Manic Street Preachers with The Holy bible, Joy Division with Unkown pleasures. As with many, massive influence on more popular bands but not massive concerns.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 05:47 PM   #35
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
come to think of it, i don't really care if music is under or overappreciated, as long as i can listen to them, i am fine.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 05:52 PM   #36
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I really liked that mag "Skratch" but its hard to find, it was free too.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 08:45 PM   #37
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
here's my unappreciated bands.

+/-, 90 day men, 400 blows, a minor forest, a trillion barnacle lapse, akimbo, brainiac, cerberus shoal, chromelodeon, clouddead, dazzling killmen, el guapo, erase errata (face it, they're extremely underappreciated), ex-girl, experimental dental school, fly pan am, funeral diner, gastr del sol, giddy motors, honor role, hot snakes, ikara colt, jesu, june of 44, loincloth, man or astroman, ooioo, omoide hatoba, ooo, pan sonic, polvo, polysics, ruins, ruinhorse, rumah sakit, satisfact, scissor shock, secret chiefs 3, servotron, silver apples, six finger satellite, slowdive, stereolab, sweep the leg johnny, the coughs, unwound, us maple, xiu xiu (seriously, do any mainstream mags even cover them?), yaphet kotto, and yowie.

there are tons more, obviously, but that's what came to mind first.

Most of those, yes. Stereolab are about as huge as Pavement though, to apply the same standard you used on that kid earlier. Not that I don't think they're a great band, one of my faves actually, just that they are pretty hugely appreciated.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2007, 01:12 AM   #38
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Grandaddy are boring.

if you are stupid. Or you listned to like...Todd Zilla/Fambly Cat and draw your conclusions from this.

Under The Western Freeway
Sophtware Slump

ridicuously good.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2007, 04:26 AM   #39
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

wow, stereolab are considered that big? i honestly never knew that. i mean, obviously prolific, but i've never seen 'em mentioned much in mainstream rags.

Old 05.04.2007, 01:42 PM   #40
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
If by underappreciated you mean should be played on mainstream radio but for some reason arn't then that isn't actually too bad a list. Otherwise there are problems like that a lot of them (Tom Waits, Fugazi, SY, The Band etc) are critic's darlings and have pretty healthy fanbases in their respective sectors.

Could be worse. A lot worse.

EDIT: Can't make sense of The Cars or Tom Petty though, they don't strike me as underappreciated in any way, shape or form.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth