Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth in Manchester and London
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.01.2011, 07:20 AM   #101
maropi
bad moon rising

maropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's asses
What did they say yesterday in London, about an event tonight in Domino's Square, or similar? My listening English is not great....
maropi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2011, 08:12 AM   #102
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I think that Thurston was referring to Shellac playing at The Garage at Midday today...

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2011, 08:19 AM   #103
brokenviolin
empty page

brokenviolin kicks all y'all's assesbrokenviolin kicks all y'all's assesbrokenviolin kicks all y'all's assesbrokenviolin kicks all y'all's assesbrokenviolin kicks all y'all's assesbrokenviolin kicks all y'all's assesbrokenviolin kicks all y'all's assesbrokenviolin kicks all y'all's assesbrokenviolin kicks all y'all's assesbrokenviolin kicks all y'all's assesbrokenviolin kicks all y'all's asses
no recordings of either surfaced yet??????
brokenviolin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2011, 11:09 AM   #104
grant2b
empty page

grant2b has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Happy new year!
My last night was incredible. The sound was a bit washy i thought but i had a grin on my face the whole night. Excellent set. Kool Thing was very unexpected.

I would be interested in a recording too if anyone managed it.

Come back soon SY. I'll never miss another show...
grant2b is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2011, 02:18 PM   #105
maropi
bad moon rising

maropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's assesmaropi kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the info.
maropi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2011, 05:06 PM   #106
Rab
empty page

Rab kicks all y'all's assesRab kicks all y'all's assesRab kicks all y'all's assesRab kicks all y'all's assesRab kicks all y'all's assesRab kicks all y'all's assesRab kicks all y'all's assesRab kicks all y'all's assesRab kicks all y'all's assesRab kicks all y'all's assesRab kicks all y'all's asses
This was the 5th time I've seen Sonic Youth (1st was the Washing Machine tour) and this was by far the best. Kim on guitar (or 2nd bass) has improved the live sound and adds brilliantly to the cacophony of noise. They also looked to be really up for it and having fun.

Thurston: 'Lee is going to sing a song about Steve Albini's panties.'

Lee: 'That's a very dark place.'

[Before going into 'What We Know'.]
Rab is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2011, 06:12 PM   #107
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds like you all had a great time there.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2011, 07:27 PM   #108
skater130
empty page

skater130 kicks all y'all's assesskater130 kicks all y'all's assesskater130 kicks all y'all's assesskater130 kicks all y'all's assesskater130 kicks all y'all's assesskater130 kicks all y'all's assesskater130 kicks all y'all's assesskater130 kicks all y'all's assesskater130 kicks all y'all's assesskater130 kicks all y'all's assesskater130 kicks all y'all's asses
we did.
skater130 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2011, 11:48 AM   #109
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
Looks like a great night..
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2011, 01:12 PM   #110
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
i just got back from London, it was my fifth time seeing Sonic Youth and one of the best too. i loved hearing Brother James to start and Kool Thing to end it all. Shellac were really good aswell and i got to go their midday show on Saturday too. best new years ever!

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2011, 01:44 PM   #111
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
FANTASTIC STUFF!

I think these were my seventh and eighth times seeing the Youth.

It was a bit Eternal-heavy, and I'm getting a little tired of hearing those songs live now; but then that's because I've seen them so many times since that album was released.

Manchester was probably the better show of the two, but London was the more 'special' and unique.

I really appreciated all the noisy old stuff they played in Manchester: Catholic Block; White Cross; Stereo Sanctity; Tom Violence; DV '69.

The song Thurston dedicated to Ari Up was Antenna -- I really appreciated that, since I'm a massive Slits fan. The live version of Antenna is so much better than the album version: it's really evolved well.

Did anyone else feel a little choked-up when the New Year started with the confetti falling and bursting into a brutal Brother James? I cannot think of a better way to kickstart a brand new year than that!

Kim Gordon saying "Thanks to Steve Albini.. for being such an asshole" was hilarious. You knew they wouldn't let him get away with those comments a few months back! She also said something immediately afterwards, something like "it's always good to...." -- take the higher moral ground, or something? I couldn't make out what she said.

London was also the first time I ever had the chance to see/hear Schizophrenia live, which was a complete treat. Closing with the rare Kool Thing was a perfect choice; it's such a fun song, and perfect for that celebratory setting.

And Daydream Nation songs are ALWAYS welcome: 'Cross the Breeze, Hey Joni, The Sprawl. Teen Age Riot and Silver Rocket are always sorely missed, though. But their discography is so rich that you can never get everything you want!

The Pop Group were excellent both nights, and Shellac was so wild and chaotic that they almost stole the show in London. No Dog and Pony Show or Prayer to God from the latter, though, but they did do an instrumental new song, and the always-killer The End of Radio. A Minute and Squirrel Song were great as well.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2011, 04:43 PM   #112
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten

Did anyone else feel a little choked-up when the New Year started with the confetti falling and bursting into a brutal Brother James? I cannot think of a better way to kickstart a brand new year than that!

Totally agree... I was thinking about it earlier today and almost welled up. I will never forget it. the vibe was amazing.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2011, 03:48 AM   #113
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://philsbootlegs.blogspot.com/
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2011, 03:57 AM   #114
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
thanks Moshe!

Old 01.03.2011, 04:09 AM   #115
stu666
Super Moderator

http://www.popupmusic.pl/no/29/galer...-factory-floor

Old 01.03.2011, 07:10 AM   #116
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

Fuck me, this is a brilliant site! I've wanted a recording of Branca's Guitar Swarm for.... well, ever since it happened.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2011, 09:31 AM   #117
freezerburn
empty page

freezerburn kicks all y'all's assesfreezerburn kicks all y'all's assesfreezerburn kicks all y'all's assesfreezerburn kicks all y'all's assesfreezerburn kicks all y'all's assesfreezerburn kicks all y'all's assesfreezerburn kicks all y'all's assesfreezerburn kicks all y'all's assesfreezerburn kicks all y'all's assesfreezerburn kicks all y'all's assesfreezerburn kicks all y'all's asses
Went to both dates, and both dates completely blew my head off. Enjoyed London a lot more though since I got to ring in the new year with my favourite band, I was also seated so had a perfect view of everything whereas I was standing in Manchester and felt a little out the way, also the sound at the Hammersmith was miles better and I felt they played a lot better as well even though the set was considerably shorter than the previous night. Kool Thing was mindblowing, Kim's dancing was incredible <3 also, I may have misheard but during Kool Thing, did Kim make a dig at people wearing their shirts from Topshop/H&M without knowing who they were? Did anyone else catch that or am I just a dick?

Anyway yeah, completely made up about seeing them now, I've waited ages for it and they exceeded expectations to say the least, I know they were gonna be amazing but. Loved the setlist as well, I really like The Eternal so wasn't fussed that it was slightly dominant throughout the set. Over the two nights I heard Catholic Block, Tom Violence, Schizophrenia, 'Cross The Breeze, Hey Joni, Death Valley '69, White Kross, The Sprawl, Kool Thing and Brother James though, so the older stuff was well and truly there.

Also, in relation to what someone posted before about choking up when they first came on, YES a thousand times. It was so wonderful seeing them burst onto the stage, Thurston with a bottle of champagne and going into the countdown, then the confetti and Brother James made me well up, couldn't believe I was actually there.
freezerburn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2011, 01:19 PM   #118
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Thanks you fascist Zionist pig! Already in contact with the taper to get raw wav dumps of most of his interesting stuff.

Oh (1x), and best wishes for 2011 everyone!

Oh oh (2x): happy birthday Moshe!

rappard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2011, 01:41 PM   #119
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappard
Thanks you fascist Zionist pig! Already in contact with the taper to get raw wav dumps of most of his interesting stuff.

Oh (1x), and best wishes for 2011 everyone!

Oh oh (2x): happy birthday Moshe!

@Moshe: thanks!
@rappard: i was just about, so you'll take care of sharing with us raw files? sorted. cheers.

http://flowersandcream.blogspot.com/...mmersmith.html

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2011, 04:47 PM   #120
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the Bootleg.

I thought it was a great show. I really enjoyed it. Hey Joni and Schizophrenia were both fantastic.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth