Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.27.2014, 09:42 AM   #18181
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
that movie is my guilty pleasure!

entertaining and terrifying too

Have you saw Session 9 Slavo? If not, similar setup. There's a nightime scene with this guy wondering around an abandoned hopital at night with a torch and headphones plugged in is really creepy and atmospheric. Worth watching just for this part alone.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2014, 03:17 PM   #18182
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Silence of the lambs.. it was surprisingly better than I remembered.. I also watched some Alien Nation movie, in the 90s I really liked this.show but the movie was terrible in the sense that it didnt come across as a movie at all, just an extended episode of the tv version

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2014, 03:33 PM   #18183
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Dune. Complete garbage.

That's what the Emperor's lackeys would say.....
Old 10.27.2014, 05:30 PM   #18184
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

come on, we've all watched that movie because it's dune, and we love dune, but as a movie, this is a massive turd. the de laurentiis fucked it up to the point that lynch himself won't recognize the film as his (this is lynch's "spartacus", if you wanna draw a parallel w/ kubrick repudiating his only movie where assholes meddled).

dune the book is amazing, dune the movie is just a poor adaptation of a great book. full of holes and horribly put together with voiceovers. they should have let lynch do his 3 hours.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2014, 07:31 PM   #18185
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Babadook, best horror movie I've seen in years.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2014, 08:00 AM   #18186
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I'd be much more concerned with what the Emperor's Carkeys had to say. That is indeed if the Emperor has a car and those cars keys had thoughts and articulated those thoughts through a mouth (as opposed to brain - because that could be someone else's thoughts intercepting the telepathic stream, duh). I'd be VERY concerned indeed to hear those thoughts. I mean the keys could belong to a Volvo. The lights would never switch off! Nicolas Cage could be living on the back seat stinking the place out reprising his role from Leaving Las Vegas.
Old 10.28.2014, 08:21 AM   #18187
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
come on, we've all watched that movie because it's dune, and we love dune, but as a movie, this is a massive turd. the de laurentiis fucked it up to the point that lynch himself won't recognize the film as his (this is lynch's "spartacus", if you wanna draw a parallel w/ kubrick repudiating his only movie where assholes meddled).

dune the book is amazing, dune the movie is just a poor adaptation of a great book. full of holes and horribly put together with voiceovers. they should have let lynch do his 3 hours.

It is true. all true. Sometimes the amazing failures are more fun than the amazing successes.
Old 10.28.2014, 08:23 AM   #18188
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sometimes the amazing failures are more fun than the amazing successes.

Yeah, I enjoy Dune because of its failings rather than in spite of them.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2014, 09:06 AM   #18189
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It is true. all true. Sometimes the amazing failures are more fun than the amazing successes.

for all my criticisms, some things from that movie are highly memorable (e.g. the harkonnens, their mentat, etc) and i'd watch lynch's dune over inland empire anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yeah, I enjoy Dune because of its failings rather than in spite of them.
the silly voiceovers and all the missing fremen action and the overly rushed ending?

in truth even a 3 hour cut would be too much cutting. the right format for dune would be a tv series. let all the nuances and plots twists and angles take shape. that's what made frank herbert great. dammit, hbo, do it already! or syfy, the way they did battlestar galactica's early seasons.
Old 10.28.2014, 09:25 AM   #18190
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51
I've been on a Bigas Luna kick lately after finding a ton of his films on torrents, and I think my main reason I called "The Tit and the Moon" forgettable is because so many of his other films are just incredible. "The Ages of Lulu", "Anguish" and "Caniche" especially. Also, "The Tit and the Moon" reminded me sooo much of Julio Medem's films of the 90's, which get at the roots of childhood, fantasy and unrequited love in much more touching ways. By the way, if you like Luna, I highly suggest Medem's films such as "Earth", "Vacas", "The Red Squirrel" and especially "Lovers of the Arctic Circle", which is one of the most under appreciated films ever and one of the best of the 90's!

i've seen anguish recently, and i liked it. it was made to watch at the movies in its day, nowadays (at home, on a tv) it looks clever it but can't have the same paranoid effect intended-- the mom though! yikes!

the other movie i've known him for is "jamón jamón" which i also liked but hasn't stuck in my psyche the same as "la teta y la luna" did. i still have to see "huevos de oro". his older stuff is hard to find! (legally anyway).

thanks for the medem recommendations. i did like "el sexo y lucía" but never followed through with the rest-- i'll check them out (if i can-- "vacas" seems out of print)
Old 10.28.2014, 09:29 AM   #18191
Diesel
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Babadook, best horror movie I've seen in years.

Sounds promising. Added to my Halloween horror fest.

It's about time I had a full on nuts to the wall Argento bender..
Old 10.28.2014, 09:37 AM   #18192
Diesel
the destroyed room

Dune is like Eastenders...in space.
Old 10.28.2014, 09:51 AM   #18193
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

syfy already did a Dune mini-series, witha very limited special fx budget. Not too good. I like the insane archaicness of the movie.
Old 10.28.2014, 09:53 AM   #18194
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i've seen anguish recently, and i liked it. it was made to watch at the movies in its day, nowadays (at home, on a tv) it looks clever it but can't have the same paranoid effect intended-- the mom though! yikes!

the other movie i've known him for is "jamón jamón" which i also liked but hasn't stuck in my psyche the same as "la teta y la luna" did. i still have to see "huevos de oro". his older stuff is hard to find! (legally anyway).

thanks for the medem recommendations. i did like "el sexo y lucía" but never followed through with the rest-- i'll check them out (if i can-- "vacas" seems out of print)

Sex & Lucia used to be my wife's favorite movie. she'd watch it all the time, then she finally goaded me into watching it with her (we did a film swap. she watched Glengarry Glenross, whcih she hated because she cannot stand to see older men humiliated) and we watched Sex & Lucia and I misunderstood the entire thing, and she said I ruined it for her.

I found it a very boring movie where about 20 minutes worht of plot happens in an hour and a half.
Old 10.28.2014, 02:25 PM   #18195
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
syfy already did a Dune mini-series, witha very limited special fx budget. Not too good. I like the insane archaicness of the movie.

yes, lynch did great w/ the set designs etc. i always figured herbert was talking in code about ey-rabs in dune (w/ the spice being oil). then again he smoked some fantastic hawaiian weed.

Quote:
Sex & Lucia used to be my wife's favorite movie. she'd watch it all the time, then she finally goaded me into watching it with her (we did a film swap. she watched Glengarry Glenross, whcih she hated because she cannot stand to see older men humiliated) and we watched Sex & Lucia and I misunderstood the entire thing, and she said I ruined it for her.

I found it a very boring movie where about 20 minutes worht of plot happens in an hour and a half.

i don't remember much about it to be honest but i remember liking it (netflix also keeps track of my likes/dislikes ha ha). glengarry glenross is fucking awesome though! david mamet can be great. have you seen "house of games"? also written by him-- similar kind of theatrical dialogue. it's pretty fucking great.
Old 10.28.2014, 03:23 PM   #18196
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Yes. I dig Mamet. Movies are either one of two things ussually. People talking or people doin stuff. I love hearing mamet's characters talk. Scorcese can di good talk too. The best parts of goodfellas are the characters just talking, like when they go to Pesci's character's ma's place and eat spaghetti.

I hate movies where neither happens. This is what I felt about sexo y lucia
Old 10.28.2014, 06:33 PM   #18197
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I surprisingly watched Gravity last night.. I say surprisingly because I had no business watching it when it came out a year ago. I mean, really, the premise is almost worse than Snakes On A Plane! Most of the movie is just people floating around in space? I mean, its a great plot on paper but to watch for over an hour?? Also I really don't like movies that are 91% (literally!!) CGI graphics but this one wasn't all that terrible. Yet I found myself really really liking this one. Also, nobody told me it was an existentialist morality play?? I would have possibly been more sold on checking it out but all the shit I read and heard suggested it was just another sci-fi blockbuster and I haven't like a sci-fi blockbuster in several years, Hollywood puts out such crap its possibly the only thing worse than commercial radio music.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2014, 07:16 PM   #18198
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I surprisingly watched Gravity last night.. I say surprisingly because I had no business watching it when it came out a year ago. I mean, really, the premise is almost worse than Snakes On A Plane! Most of the movie is just people floating around in space? I mean, its a great plot on paper but to watch for over an hour?? Also I really don't like movies that are 91% (literally!!) CGI graphics but this one wasn't all that terrible. Yet I found myself really really liking this one. Also, nobody told me it was an existentialist morality play?? I would have possibly been more sold on checking it out but all the shit I read and heard suggested it was just another sci-fi blockbuster and I haven't like a sci-fi blockbuster in several years, Hollywood puts out such crap its possibly the only thing worse than commercial radio music.

Thank God. I loved that movie but kept hearing people say how much they hated it, to the extent I really started questioning myself about it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2014, 07:28 PM   #18199
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Have you saw Session 9 Slavo? If not, similar setup. There's a nightime scene with this guy wondering around an abandoned hopital at night with a torch and headphones plugged in is really creepy and atmospheric. Worth watching just for this part alone.
Session 9....good damn movie imho. I recently bought the soundtrack on amazon mp3 too.
Old 10.28.2014, 08:05 PM   #18200
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Thank God. I loved that movie but kept hearing people say how much they hated it, to the extent I really started questioning myself about it.

fuck no, it was pretty fucking great, i watched it on your recommendation and loved it in spite of the "star-studded cast". sure, some shit a bit preposterous, but what movie isn't? just the other day was watching something (justified, i think it was) where "ducking" would magically save people from bullets for fucks sakes. i find the satellite debris much more compelling though escaping it unscathed would have been as unlikely--suspension of disbelief makes fiction possible and i like fiction.

of course for someone like me it would have been better marketed as "by the director of y tu mamá también and children of men" but that's just me being a fucking snob.
810860900907908909 910 9119129139209601010 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth