Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.25.2017, 10:36 PM   #48801
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I don't know what Jlin is.

You should, like, type "Jlin" into Google of Spotify

She's basically the best thing to happen to footwork since Dj Radhad. Partially because she rather coyly subverts the genre, while also pretty much embodying it. One of the few records of the year that's I feel is truly worthy of being called "great."

Quote:
I guess I'd probably agree w/ 2010's being their worst decade. Though I did like the Heady Fwends album. And I know you hated the SGT Pepper, but I did really like it a lot. I actually pulled The Terror out last night with the intention of giving it another spin soon. I haven't even listened to it since it first came out. Wasn't a fan then. But I figured that I've warmed up to Oczy so maybe I should try again.

I like Heady Fwends too. When it came out (actually, before it properly came out -- back when it was just a smattering of mini-EPs released on fetuses and stuff) I was jamming those songs like crazy. The "album" that eventually compiled the best of those releases was a smart move for them. And a strong and cohesive record.

I liked The Terror too, but it was pretty goddamn sad. It was aiming my favorite albums of 2013, probably pretty high on the list at the time, but I think in retrospect I prefer the albums by Fuck Buttons and Botany (as well as Yeezus and Dj Koze's Amygdala) to it. I haven't listened to it since late 2013.

I think there's some underrated awesomeness going on in the Lips' production on these past few releases, but there isn't quite enough solid song craft to hold my attention.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2017, 10:48 PM   #48802
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I think they are just pumping out too much stuff to dig thru honestly.
Old 05.26.2017, 02:43 AM   #48803
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Been on a 90's alt rock kick lately.. just like the rest of y'all, it seems.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2017, 07:03 AM   #48804
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
ha. Yeah. I don't know. I mean I've always loved that stuff, but it's just what I've really been in the mood for. Actually I'd say that it's what I've listened to almost primarily since last summer. Hmm.
Old 05.26.2017, 08:51 AM   #48805
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Been on a 90's alt rock kick lately.. just like the rest of y'all, it seems.

I have not been on a '90s alt rock kick at all. Not in any way, shape or form. I'm just replying to you. And it's *very* obvious that you've been on a '90s alt rock kick lately.

In all honesty, I've been so goddamn boring with my music intake this year it's almost sad. It is sad. Sad that not a lot of good music is coming out. Or sad that it might be coming out in droves, but I've just been missing it. I've just been listening to DAMN., the new Jlin, the new Actress, and for a while the new Thurston. But mostly DAMN., and, sad as it sounds, The Life of Pablo. Like, a lot. Still. I'd be happy to give TLOP less play, but that would require one of two things to happen: either A: A more interesting NEW album comes out, or B: I grow tired of TLOP. The former seems almost entirely improbable. The latter... well... it's been out for a year and a half, and I haven't gone more than a couple of days without listening to it, so I'm not sure I'm on track to lose interest.

One one hand, it's great that an album has been so consistently rewarding for me. On the other hand, it's sad that it's only been one album.

But seriously, TLOP has almost definitely broken an all time listening-over-time record for me.
Old 05.26.2017, 08:53 AM   #48806
noisereductions
invito al cielo

did you think you were replying to me and not louder? haha
Old 05.26.2017, 09:17 AM   #48807
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
did you think you were replying to me and not louder? haha

Yep.

Goddamn louder and his goddamn no-avatar bullshit! This has happened before! I can't be expected to pay attention when there's no graphic or picture to give me a reason to pay attention. Bah!
Old 05.26.2017, 09:24 AM   #48808
noisereductions
invito al cielo

louder, I did an image search for "louder". Here's some possible new avatars for you...

Old 05.26.2017, 01:37 PM   #48809
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks NR. For whatever reason, the second one will do for now.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2017, 05:41 PM   #48810
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2017, 05:52 PM   #48811
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

He's thinking about a pressing financial issues in song form, while listening to unidentified music.

I feel like this doodle wasn't properly thought through.
Old 05.26.2017, 08:04 PM   #48812
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Old 97's with very special guest CAITLIN ROSE (my girlfriend!) — "Good With God" — March 14, 2017 on CONAN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sTEkkhFDRA

NOW this thread is cooking with gas!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2017, 09:17 PM   #48813
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

"For whatever reason"
Old 05.26.2017, 11:20 PM   #48814
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I knew it would be that one too.

I'll get *some* slack for this one. But sev feels me...

so y'know, there was basically pre-Nirvana/Nirvana/post-Nirvana "alternative". At least in my mind at the time. Right? And one of my favorite post-Nirvana bands in high school was Everclear. Probably the cool thing would have been to just realize that THIS album was fucking great. But no, I was super into them. Had everything I could find - World Of Noise, White Trash Hell, some promo stuff, saw them live, everything. Loved them. And I still have a weird soft spot but that's talk for another day. Because today I'll talk about Sparkle & Fade which is a fucking excellent album that I assume most dismiss because, well, it's Everclear. But this was before they really aimed for radio play. This shit is just really good - ahem - post-Nirvana alternative rock. "Electra Made Me Blind" is a killer opener. Then "Heroin Girl" and "You Make Me Feel Like A Whore" - total rockers. Great start. And if you ignore the overplayed "Santa Monica", which is fine, then there's plenty more great shit here. "Strawberry" is gorgeous. Just totally gorgeous. It's such a sad heroin song that manages to be upbeat with it's "don't fall down now/you will never get up" refrain counterbalanced against the brutal line "ten long years in a straight line/ they fall like water/ yes I guess I fucked up again." Wow. "The Twistinside" is another huge standout that nobody really mentions. But that cool lead and how it all builds up to the end. Plus Art made a bunch of lyrics that don't rhyme at all sound really natural - "breathing fire doesn't look good on a resume/but neither does anything else we do" - Great. There's some borderline um Cali-punk I guess? - with "Chemical Smile" and "Nahalem", and closer "My Sexual Life" is a fun semi-somber piece about being promiscuous in a small town. I don't know. There was plenty of pop-punk coming out of California at the time. But somehow this album from an Oregon band feels more like the summers I remember.
Old 05.27.2017, 09:37 AM   #48815
Severian
invito al cielo

^^

Another weird choice, but there's no denying that some of those songs hit the right notes. "Santa Monica" weirdly combined the California rock ideal with four Pacific Northwestiness. And "Strawberry" is just a really, really good song.
Old 05.27.2017, 11:54 PM   #48816
noisereductions
invito al cielo

haha "another weird choice" to listen to? Shrug.

Boy this is one of those albums that I've heard so many times that I'm not sure how to really talk about it. On one hand, I consider it a totally classic 90's rock album. On the other, well I've heard it a million times so it doesn't really do the same thing to me that it did years ago. But there's no denying that these are good, solid, catchy songs anyway. It feels a bit stiff to me compared to the stream of albums that would follow though. But I mean there's still some really good stuff here. "Even Flow" is still grunge stadium rock that feels good. "Alive" still works that Melvins riff into something fairly epic. "Black" is still pretty haunting. It's a pretty great album that I just kind of feel like I've overplayed I guess. PS: Why was it called Ten? I don't think I remember the answer to that one.

Rock N Roll is mid-tier RA for me. It's certainly not close to Heartbreaker or Gold before it. That's for sure. But it is one of those RA albums that shows why I've been such an endearing fan. He loves doing these random concept albums. And this was his - you guessed it - RNR album. With "This Is It" being his answer to The Strokes. Or "So Alive" sounding like, I don't know, a U2 hit? It's a bit of a mixed bag, but it does rock as promised. At least in a very Strokes-y/Interpol-y way. It's good. Not always great, but always good-to-great. My favorite track is probably "Anybody Wanna Take Me Home?" which is just a fantastic closing time track along the lines of a less sad "Come Pick Me Up." Also "Note To Self: Don't Die" is pretty awesome in its own hilarious way.

Hurley is Weezer by numbers. It's Weezer on auto-pilot. It sounds like Weezer. The songs are kind of catchy. But not much would bring you back. If you were wondering, I guess this would be my least favorite Weezer album. I don't hate it. Far from hate it. But I'd probably listen to every other Weezer album before this one. "Memories" is kind of good I guess. But stuff like "Where's My Sex" - it just feels like a retread of old Weezer. Like they wanted to relive "Tired Of Sex" but flip it on its head. There's too much aimless rehash here to justify the album. The weird thing is the sore thumb here - "Hang On" which is just so so so much better than everything else on the album. Man. It's a bummer. You get to track 7 and you hear "Hang On" and it really hits you how kind of middle-of-the-road Hurley is because if the whole album sounded like "Hang On" then this album would have been great. I still need to hunt down the deluxe edition for that Coldplay cover though haha. No wait - I lied. This is still better than Make Believe. Yes this is mediocre but it at least still sounds like Weezer. Ugh. I'll talk about Make Believe another time. This is like a 3/5 though. It's good - at least for a huge Weezer fan.
Old 05.28.2017, 08:32 AM   #48817
Severian
invito al cielo

No. Listen to what makes you feel good bro. I just meant... another album NR loves that makes very little sense in the context of the board.

Sorry. Maybe I should delete the comment, but in the age of Trump, we don't do that. We double down on the dumb shit we say.
Old 05.28.2017, 09:19 AM   #48818
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I'm really not offended bud.
Old 05.28.2017, 10:17 AM   #48819
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
haha "another weird choice" to listen to? Shrug.

Boy this is one of those albums that I've heard so many times that I'm not sure how to really talk about it. On one hand, I consider it a totally classic 90's rock album. On the other, well I've heard it a million times so it doesn't really do the same thing to me that it did years ago. But there's no denying that these are good, solid, catchy songs anyway. It feels a bit stiff to me compared to the stream of albums that would follow though. But I mean there's still some really good stuff here. "Even Flow" is still grunge stadium rock that feels good. "Alive" still works that Melvins riff into something fairly epic. "Black" is still pretty haunting. It's a pretty great album that I just kind of feel like I've overplayed I guess. PS: Why was it called Ten? I don't think I remember the answer to that one.

Rock N Roll is mid-tier RA for me. It's certainly not close to Heartbreaker or Gold before it. That's for sure. But it is one of those RA albums that shows why I've been such an endearing fan. He loves doing these random concept albums. And this was his - you guessed it - RNR album. With "This Is It" being his answer to The Strokes. Or "So Alive" sounding like, I don't know, a U2 hit? It's a bit of a mixed bag, but it does rock as promised. At least in a very Strokes-y/Interpol-y way. It's good. Not always great, but always good-to-great. My favorite track is probably "Anybody Wanna Take Me Home?" which is just a fantastic closing time track along the lines of a less sad "Come Pick Me Up." Also "Note To Self: Don't Die" is pretty awesome in its own hilarious way.

Hurley is Weezer by numbers. It's Weezer on auto-pilot. It sounds like Weezer. The songs are kind of catchy. But not much would bring you back. If you were wondering, I guess this would be my least favorite Weezer album. I don't hate it. Far from hate it. But I'd probably listen to every other Weezer album before this one. "Memories" is kind of good I guess. But stuff like "Where's My Sex" - it just feels like a retread of old Weezer. Like they wanted to relive "Tired Of Sex" but flip it on its head. There's too much aimless rehash here to justify the album. The weird thing is the sore thumb here - "Hang On" which is just so so so much better than everything else on the album. Man. It's a bummer. You get to track 7 and you hear "Hang On" and it really hits you how kind of middle-of-the-road Hurley is because if the whole album sounded like "Hang On" then this album would have been great. I still need to hunt down the deluxe edition for that Coldplay cover though haha. No wait - I lied. This is still better than Make Believe. Yes this is mediocre but it at least still sounds like Weezer. Ugh. I'll talk about Make Believe another time. This is like a 3/5 though. It's good - at least for a huge Weezer fan.

You don't need to talk about Make Believe dude. Thanks and stuff but nah.
Old 05.28.2017, 10:23 AM   #48820
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh, Pearl Jam named Ten after Mookie Blaylock's jersey number.

Which I don't get. Not even a little bit. First of all, Blaylock never played for a team with any geographical connection to any of the members of PJ. Secondly, Mookie Blaylock? Fuckin' really?! Why?!! Name it after a fuckin' Supersonic, you dicks!

Gary Payton was a first round second-overall pick in the 1990 draft and went right to the Supersonicsand his number was 20. Call it fuckin' "Twenty" if you have to name it after a baller's jersey!

Mookie? Fuck you!
1941234123912431243824392440 2441 244224432444245124912541 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth